Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

Man City 1-1 (1-3 on penalties) post match bickering

First half, too defensive, but hey, it's a 'second string' Man City who still manage to have a world class front three - which is absolutely crazy. De Bruyne's goal shouldn't have happened, but hey it's him.

Second half we looked much much better. I'm still disappointed with Iheanacho, but if what people are saying is true about him smashing it in training but just not seeing the results on match day, it's a confidence thing. Hopefully he comes good soon.

Maguire and Soyuncu look a good partnership.

Fuchs was excellent, and Danny was pretty decent too.

Hamza was excellent. Really happy for him.

Gray had a great game.

Albrighton. I ****ing love the guy. Yes Sharky!

Puel, I'm hanging on by a thread, but this helped keep me In. Do something, Claude. Quick.

Edited by CloudFox

6 minutes ago, Anglodanglo said:

Respectfully.

Saying Vardy's injured 'all the time' is not really true is it. On the contrary, it's remarkable just how few games he's missed over his LCFC career. 

Having said that if we were to analyse the last 2/3 months only, then yes that would seem the case.

While I'm in a 'cup half full' mood. Being average in the Prem isn't the worst thing in the world. Doesn't mean I'll settle for it long term, but can tolerate as long as our general theme is one of growth over regression.

I mean Vardy is having to be managed more so than other seasons. Albrighton & Gray might just be good enough for 16th or 15th but anything above that, forget it. Then we’ve got the CM problem, the fact neither can pass further than 5 yards. 

I thought we played well today btw (second half) 

• Like 1

I'm so bitterly disappointed. Wretched team selection. I don't want Ghezzal to play for us again. Nacho isolated. Fuchs WELL past his best. No players in the box. Second half better (bless you, Marc!) but to squander a chance to get to the FINAL of a cup (no offence Burton) is so  wretched. We are a turgid, middling team but it would have been lovely to have a really deep cup run. Hamza did impress, thrilled for him, and that assist from Wilf shows the player he could be if his passing becomes more incisive. 

I blame Puel for the team selection but obviously the pens were diabolical. 

What. A. Waste. Now gutter Man Oil are going to win it. Fuming.

• Like 1

Second half albeit slightly messy was entertaining. We pressed them more and got into their faces a bit more. Gray was pretty decent tonight, when he plays like that he can be a real handful, I just wish he could add consistency to his game. Goes without saying Hamza had a decent game too the highlight being his superb crunching tackle on Zinchencko! We deserved the equaliser in the second half and what a hit it was too..... 

Pens were a major disappointment, after all of the grafting in that second half three poor penalties is disappointing to see. Fuchs was more clumsy than anything but Madders and Soyuncu pens were poor, weak and completely lacking any conviction. 

Another bizzare game, but still merely papers over some cracks that are starting to develop, particularly in the league, there’s a couple of games coming up that may make Cardiff a must win for Puel. 

2 hours ago, MattP said:

The players selected did extremely well. Maybe we win with a strongest team, maybe we don't. 

The penalties were pathetic.

Can anyone offer a logical reason as to why Soyuncu takes a penalty ahead of Albrighton or Gray?

Agreed.

On Soyuncu taking a pen, as well as being comfortable on the ball with a strong long pass, I can only assume that he's a very confident lad. He stepped up and took a good pen v. Southampton.

Did you notice that when Maddison missed tonight, he went over to reassure him, even though he was due to take the next pen - suggesting that he was indeed confident about his own.....

Too confident by half, as it turned out. Very rash cockiness to try to bluff the keeper, stuttering to that extent. Hope he learns from that, as he again looked promising during the match.

Likewise, I'd have expected Albrighton to have been taking one, given his playing attributes, maturity & freshness tonight as a sub - but maybe he was due to take the fifth?

For some reason, I wouldn't feel confident of Gray taking a penalty, though he's showing a lot more maturity this season. Not for the first time this season, I thought he was one of our best players tonight (with Choudhury).

He still has bad games, but has improved markedly this season after a couple of years as the most frustrating player at the club - better decision-making, better ball retention, better passing, better work ethic - including decent defensive work at times. Before this season, I'd almost given up on him but he's making the step up at last, I reckon.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

"No signs of progress"

Taking one of the most one dimensional clubs in the league and trying to transition them into a team that does not panic and hoof the ball route 1 every opportunity they get and creating a team that is calm on the ball and not afraid to pass the ball around in possession, we are 4th in the league for through balls, and we are 10th in the league for backward passes. You know who makes the top 5 for backward passes? Man city, Chelsea, Arsenal, Livepool and Spurs. 
He's developing a young squad with plenty of potential and has seen Harry Maguire solidify himself as an England regular with Chilwell Joining suit. 

Maguire has improved,

Chilwell improved, 
Gray improved his all round play and is showing more maturity,
Mendy has been great, 
Ndidi is very raw but is improving his positioning dramatically and is now the 3rd best tackler in the league,
Maddison has massive potential and looks great, 
Ricardo looks a breath of fresh air and strengthens a position we have needed for the best part of 5 years, 
Choudhury looks like a hell of a prospect and is being nurtured by Puel
Evans has come in and looks comfortable as a ball playing defender, 
Soyuncu is raw and has potential.

The Average age of the squad is on a downward trend yet potential is on a massively upward trend. 

Just look at the players that are either past it or simply not diverse enough to change their style -
Morgan,
Okazaki, 
King, 
Silva, 
Simpson,
Fuchs,
Benalouane,
James,
Vardy to an extent

we have more than an entire bench of dead wood or players that can only play 1 style and be effective, his hands are almost tied behind his back with what he's trying to achieve without making widescale changes in 1 window which is never wise, he's been slowly transitioning the club into a new era and style and that should be welcomed. 

We are more organised and have more intelligent passing, we are comfortable pressing and soaking up pressure and do not panic to get the ball pumped forward into nobody. Sure we have been thoroughly disappointing this season and at times lacklustre in creating chances in the final third or finding the final ball, which often punishes us as we fail to see off games or finish games off resulting in draws, but if you can't see the changes he is trying to make then you must be watching another team to be honest. We've had the same system for about 8 of the last 10 years and FINALLY someone is coming in to change it. 

Sorry but i have to disagree about mendy, i think it's obvious we've got problems in Central midfield.

In his last two games he's gave the ball straight to spurs for their goal, and failed to close down a shot from outside the area against palace.

He's had some OK games, but he's made some basic errors which have cost us recently, and frankly i'd be thinking about dropping him for Choudhury

Edited by Haywood_6

I was there tonight....frustrating 

First half it really did seem as if it was Choundry vs Man City. We were poor and second best to everything.

Second half......once Puel brought on Albrighton and Maddison.....We were much improved and actually had desire and intensity from these two, they changed the game and albrighton was brilliant 

Ihneacho is shocking. How does he keep getting game time over Okazaki? Lazy, poor touch, won't run, plods about, isn't very intelligent, always playing catch up, lethargic...basically he is just shit 

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We'd have won in normal time if we'd put a better side out

I wonder......?

If we'd had a fit Vardy in the side, you might be right. But I gather that he wasn't fully fit. If there's a valid criticism it's more the longstanding one about lack of creativity and strike power in the squad.

Which other changes would have improved tonight's side - against such high-quality opposition?

I didn't think Maddison did much when he came on, promising though he is. Albrighton for Ghezzal might have been better, I suppose....

Man City had a lot of the ball during the first quarter and might have been able to do more damage against a less defensive set-up (e.g. with Ricardo in for Simpson, not playing 2 defensive midfielders). As it was, I doubt there was much could have been done to stop the Man City goal - and they didn't create many other clear chances, despite a lot of possession and quick passing/movement first half. Iborra sprayed some nice long balls around at times, too.

I was disappointed with the team selection when I saw it, but after watching the match, I don't think Puel got much wrong tonight.

3 hours ago, Dames said:

Great second half performance let down by some of the worst penalties you’ll ever see.

Another situation we come away thinking ‘missed opportunity’ which is quickly becoming synonymous with Puels reign. 

Every cup quarter we've been in has been a huge missed opportunity, and you just know they'll draw Burton as well.

It was better, I've got to be fair. The second half was what I want to see - actual intensity in our game, that's what we lack too frequently under Puel. Produce a bit more of this and I'll start to buy into it again.

Choudhury has done his chances of starting no harm at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I didn't think Maddison did much when he came on, promising though he is. Albrighton for Ghezzal might have been better, I suppose....

I was disappointed with the team selection when I saw it, but after watching the match, I don't think Puel got much wrong tonight.

I was there and Madisson and Albrighton completely changed the game. With these two on we actually looked like we gave a shit. 

Albrighton was great and should be starting regularly 

Fuchs was solid tonight too and I was impressed with Choudry (basically playing on his own for the first 45mins) 

Lack of intensity and desire from a lot of these lot though 

Inheacho is absolutely wank 

3 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Wait...what? lol

So you're saying football managers should always pick the crappest line-up possible because that's clever? lol

Ahahahaha the stupidity of posters on here never ceases to amaze me.

Coming from a man who thinks Vardy is fully fit, that is a bit rich. lol

A much better performance, although the penalty kicks (for us) were pathetic.

One thing that I hate, is the amount of times we get the ball to a winger, who then passes it back to the full back, who then goes to the CDM, who then goes to the CB, who then goes to the GK, who then kicks it up the pitch and we lose possession. It must happen 10 times a game.

Also, our wingers very very rarely get past their man and cut inside on the byline, they seem so afraid to lose possession so we just end up passing it back and going nowhere with it.

We need goals and we need them fast.

Hamza had a great game tonight and I thought Gray was pretty good too. Excellent cameo from Albrighton too, with a quality finish.

Maddisons penalty for a CF/CAM was awful btw.

Ghezzel offered nothing.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

The players did well last night, even in the first half, keeping their discipline and positioning to ensure we only went in 1-0 down and give us a chance in the second half. So fair play to the players, even if the penalties we're a shame.

But I cannot accept putting out a weakened team in the quarter finals of a cup competition. Whatever way it's spun, that would not have been Puel's first choice eleven from the available players and that's the point. As it was, only Chilwell was unfit. Vardy was fit to play and I was told that he was not a happy bunny not to be playing.

I reckon that’s 7 straight defeats in Quarter Finals now:

Wycombe 2001

Blackburn 2004

Chelsea 2012

Man City 2013

Man City 2017

Chelsea 2018

Man City 2018

My review. 

First half man city coasting in possession and looked like they could have gone up a couple of gears. But it did seem we were sitting back and looking for a counter. We backed off and didn't press them at all. And in the rare occasions Gray and Nacho did push on, out of crowd pressure or necessarity, they were isolated and 3-4 city players passed round them making them look like dicks. They had no support from the midfield sat back in our own half. When we did get at them they didn't like being rushed, panicked and harried. Quality goal from De Bruyne to be fair with the little flick inside beforehand. Second half much better from us getting at them again, but not sustained enough. We allowed them to slow it down and pass it and pose whilst doing so far too much.  Ibora making Foden look a dick was a highlight. As was Ageuro and Riad thinking better than trying 50/50's With Maguire. Did expect Shinji might come on and hassle them more.

Though Albrighton introduction, he gave his usually 100% percent and deserved his goal. Even Puel went wild on the touchline.

Hamza surely in contention for Chelsea after his display. Thought he was our man of the match by a mile. Loved it when he dumped DeBruyne on his ass. And made a great tackle late on in our box. 

So after some late second half optimism, it was all taken away by the wankest penalties since Cardiff in the playoffs. Fuchs, well at least he went for power just off target. But maddy and soyu either bottled it at the last minute and changed their minds or were trying to be clever. Obviously didn't work. 

Love Maddison. He is quality, but he needs to work on his game instead of trying to be a Beckham wannabe. I think he was trying to be clever and got it wrong. Soyu I think bottled it and changed his mind at the last second. 

Penalty shoot out rules :

Pick your spot, before you even walk up to take it. Don't change your mind EVER, no matter what ref, keeper, fans, other players are doing, saying. Put your laces through it. If keeper saves then it's a great save. However you miss the target or  **** about, you're a cock! 

All of a sudden Kermogants dont seem that bad. 

#missedoppourtunity. 

Back to mid table mediocrity. 

And as for ManCity. 

I grew up hating Liverpool with a passion but I think ManCity just overtook them. 

Outside They didn't like a few of us chanting "they've won more than you, they've won more than you ManUtd they've won more than you." or eve n "Jose Mourino, he's won more than you"  Might have to give those a better airing boxing :thumbup: day