Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

Man City 1-1 (1-3 on penalties) post match bickering

Much better than I expected tbh. Before the match most here would have taken 1 - 1 after 90 mins.

Best I’ve seen Gray for some time. His work rate has improved significantly and he’s much more involved throughout the whole match. Also great having Choudhury in the side, adds real pace and tenacity in defensive midfield. I hope he gets more chances in the league.

The less said about the pens the better.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Quite rightly bollocked, sat on his heels instead of closing down. Cost us the game.

Think it's unfair for Maddison to take the full blame for that goal. Mendy just stood and watched whilst Milovojevic lined up his shot, just as he did when Son scored for Tottenham the week before. On both occasions he could have closed down more quickly and blocked the shot. 

@SouthStandUpperTier @dmayne7

To be clear, I love Wilf, one of my favourite of our players and probably one of our more promising still. Defensively he's been okay this year and, yes, it was a great forty yarder yesterday. 

But let's not pretend it's normal. He's been a serious liability in possession this year and doesn't seem to be improving, letting him know he can be dropped by rewarding Hamza with a start in the league can't really do us much harm. Maybe not away at Chelsea but we've got Cardiff at home round the corner. 

Ndidi gives the ball away with every other pass and whenever he gets in the final third he loses his head and smashes it out the ground. They're both habits born of panic and sloppiness that need to be coached out of him. 

Picking him every week regardless isn't doing that. 

I wasn't particularly hating on him, he's a favourite of mine, but letting him become complacent does nothing for him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

"No signs of progress"

Taking one of the most one dimensional clubs in the league and trying to transition them into a team that does not panic and hoof the ball route 1 every opportunity they get and creating a team that is calm on the ball and not afraid to pass the ball around in possession, we are 4th in the league for through balls, and we are 10th in the league for backward passes. You know who makes the top 5 for backward passes? Man city, Chelsea, Arsenal, Livepool and Spurs. 
He's developing a young squad with plenty of potential and has seen Harry Maguire solidify himself as an England regular with Chilwell Joining suit. 

Maguire has improved,

Chilwell improved, 
Gray improved his all round play and is showing more maturity,
Mendy has been great, 
Ndidi is very raw but is improving his positioning dramatically and is now the 3rd best tackler in the league,
Maddison has massive potential and looks great, 
Ricardo looks a breath of fresh air and strengthens a position we have needed for the best part of 5 years, 
Choudhury looks like a hell of a prospect and is being nurtured by Puel
Evans has come in and looks comfortable as a ball playing defender, 
Soyuncu is raw and has potential.

The Average age of the squad is on a downward trend yet potential is on a massively upward trend. 

Just look at the players that are either past it or simply not diverse enough to change their style -
Morgan,
Okazaki, 
King, 
Silva, 
Simpson,
Fuchs,
Benalouane,
James,
Vardy to an extent

we have more than an entire bench of dead wood or players that can only play 1 style and be effective, his hands are almost tied behind his back with what he's trying to achieve without making widescale changes in 1 window which is never wise, he's been slowly transitioning the club into a new era and style and that should be welcomed. 

We are more organised and have more intelligent passing, we are comfortable pressing and soaking up pressure and do not panic to get the ball pumped forward into nobody. Sure we have been thoroughly disappointing this season and at times lacklustre in creating chances in the final third or finding the final ball, which often punishes us as we fail to see off games or finish games off resulting in draws, but if you can't see the changes he is trying to make then you must be watching another team to be honest. We've had the same system for about 8 of the last 10 years and FINALLY someone is coming in to change it. 

There are lots of things i could question here but Ndidi is improving? He's getting worse every week, the pass he made for the goal was About his only successful pass all season. He has been woeful and needs dropping.

Not sure how anyone can say we are improving, we are out of the cup at the same stage and behind on points with harder teams to play. The teams we have beaten this season are Watford, Soton, Wolves, Huddersfield and Cardiff - and we were bloody lucky against Wolves. The football gets worse every week and the last time we played well for a full 90 mins was over a year ago.

Yes he has good ideas and is trying to change the system, but he doesnt have the furst idea of how to implement it.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Overall feeling of mild disappointment this morning, given I thought we may get a tanking before kick off. Damn shame really, we deserved a shot at penalties for our 2nd half performance, whether Man City had other gears to employ or not is conjecture, we came back into it well.

Could we have played a stronger team? Yes, probably, but there's no guarantee they would have done any better.

Poor though those spot kicks were, penalties/schmenalties, that shit can happen in a shootout.

Edited by Max Wall
typo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

People not seeing the positives in that performance need to get in the bin

And people moaning, as usual, about pressing. We did press throughout the game, its just we picked our moments to press, boxing them in and pressing when it would have most effect.

If we'd ran at them all game they were so good at bypassing the press they would have destroyed us. We could even have won that in normal time.  Really enjoyed the goal and Puel's celebration

It was Man City with Riyad and Aguero up front. Walker, KDB, Sterling played, Stones

Some of you seriously need to behave

Vardy isnt fully fit

Vardy isnt fully fit

Vardy isnt fully fit

Add to that, that Mahrez was desperate to do well, you could see it in his every move (he's allowed to do that). They were a handful.

People can rightly say it was an 'understrength' Man City team but only in the loosest possible sense of the word 'understrength'.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@SouthStandUpperTier @dmayne7

To be clear, I love Wilf, one of my favourite of our players and probably one of our more promising still. Defensively he's been okay this year and, yes, it was a great forty yarder yesterday. 

But let's not pretend it's normal. He's been a serious liability in possession this year and doesn't seem to be improving, letting him know he can be dropped by rewarding Hamza with a start in the league can't really do us much harm. Maybe not away at Chelsea but we've got Cardiff at home round the corner. 

Ndidi gives the ball away with every other pass and whenever he gets in the final third he loses his head and smashes it out the ground. They're both habits born of panic and sloppiness that need to be coached out of him. 

Picking him every week regardless isn't doing that. 

I wasn't particularly hating on him, he's a favourite of mine, but letting him become complacent does nothing for him. 

Fair comment.

TBF I was surprised Ndidi started last night. I thought that if Puel was giving a few players a rest, Ndidi would be one of them. As has been pointed out by others, he's played a heck of a lot of football for someone his age and it's started to affect his performances. I think a little break would do him good, and Choudhury showed last night that we can rely on him if called upon.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Think it's unfair for Maddison to take the full blame for that goal. Mendy just stood and watched whilst Milovojevic lined up his shot, just as he did when Son scored for Tottenham the week before. On both occasions he could have closed down more quickly and blocked the shot. 

At least Mendy tried to close down and get a block in, yeah he arrived too late, but Maddison just stood there watching, the only thing he didn't do was pick his nose or scratch his arse. He's a young lad and he'll improve. My glass his half full and when you remember the dross we've had over the years (i'm old enough to remember) then there is some real hope for the future with some of the lads we have, we've just gotta support them and give them time. 

47 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

There are lots of things i could question here but Ndidi is improving? He's getting worse every week, the pass he made for the goal was About his only successful pass all season. He has been woeful and needs dropping.

Not sure how anyone can say we are improving, we are out of the cup at the same stage and behind on points with harder teams to play. The teams we have beaten this season are Watford, Soton, Wolves, Huddersfield and Cardiff - and we were bloody lucky against Wolves. The football gets worse every week and the last time we played well for a full 90 mins was over a year ago.

Yes he has good ideas and is trying to change the system, but he doesnt have the furst idea of how to implement it.

I was saying this last night to my son as we watched the game. He's not been good for a while, but he tries his best and puts effort in. I said i think he needs a rest, he's young and plays all out, i'd like to see Hamza starting instead of him for a few games.  

10 hours ago, Langston said:

Season is dead, please sack this clueless **** and bring someone capable of making me excited to watch my team in again. 

The guaranteed road to Wembley starts again soon though, with a battling win against Newport....after a replay....and penalties.

Edited by Drew Peacock
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MattP said:

The players selected did extremely well. Maybe we win with a strongest team, maybe we don't. 

The penalties were pathetic.

Can anyone offer a logical reason as to why Soyuncu takes a penalty ahead of Albrighton or Gray?

I agree. I would have thought Albrighton having scored a cracker would have taken one. Soyuncu did score against Saints and Fuchs against Wolves maybe? Pity we didn’t get to force Riyad to take one cos it would have been interesting. 

@AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

I imagine there's people moaning more than me that are refusing to see any positives, I'm not particularly one of them but as with a lot of post match threads lately, I'm not exactly happy either. 

There were pleasing performances on the pitch from one or two stand out players but we still should have done much better, we still shouldn't have started with such an awful line up, we should have prioritised winning Cup games, we should really stop trying to play this awful 451 with 3 cdms and an isolated striker. 

It was just more absolute dross decisions from a manager making terrible call after terrible call. 

That he put them right 60 minutes in to the game isn't really much consolation to me. Man City treated yesterday like a training match, they were absolutely there for the taking and we let them off the hook. I find it difficult to forgive that really. 

I'm not angry that we went out of a cup competition to probably the best team in the world but I am hugely disappointed with how it happened. 

I could forgive it far more easily if it was one incident in isolation, too, but it's not. It's awful call after awful call. 

I want to give a manager time to reset and build, it's definitely what we need. We do need someone that can slowly improve our style of football, who can nurture young players and rebuild what was an ageing squad. I will absolutely 100% tolerate some inconsistent results and mid table finishes while it happens. 

No problem. 

But I'm absolutely done with CP. I just don't have any faith that he's the man I want building our future. His tactical decisions are terrible, the players almost never look fired up to be playing for him, the slow starts and the lack of clear tactical plan, the inability to coach any attacking movement? I can't hack it anymore. 

He's just killing my enjoyment of the club. I guess if I got shit faced every Saturday and enjoyed the game bouncing about singing with my mates in SKwhichever then I'd probably be more tolerant. But as someone that's just obsessed with the sport, turns up for the football and nothing else, being a Leicester fan right now is just horrid. 

Edit: okay so that was actually quite a lot of a moan. lol

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

Our perfect penalty record in competition ruined by that shameful effort. It would have been a massive boost had we knocked them out. I believe we will lurch down the league now and be fighting relegation. I think we need 15 more points to survive and the Cardiff game looks a massive one now.

I was leaning towards Puel out after the Palace game - like a lot of the ‘in crowd’ I admire what he’s apparently trying to do, while not really liking the boring, frustrating way it seems too be playing out on the pitch - but I thought this was a sterling effort. It felt like the first time in a while that glimmers of what the team could become started to show through:

The first half hour was pretty much business as usual, but it picked up and then some. They were dogged, they actually pressed, held off Man City, Alibrighton’s goal had me screaming, Hamza was a revelation. I even thought the starting line up and substitutions worked pretty well. 

Yes, we could have done with Wes over Soyuncu, and Chilwell’s pace (when he’s got it). And the penalties were a rank embarrassment, mostly because the greener players bottled it unbelievably - although, again, I think that’s an experience thing. But the idea that if we had started Vardy we would have won is bonkers. The boy ain’t right at the moment sadly. Anyone can see that. 

Couldn’t make this last night, but I will be at the Boxing Day game, which previously I had been thinking would be a terrible rout: Now I‘m actively looking forward to it. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

I imagine there's people moaning more than me that are refusing to see any positives, I'm not particularly one of them but as with a lot of post match threads lately, I'm not exactly happy either. 

There were pleasing performances on the pitch from one or two stand out players but we still should have done much better, we still shouldn't have started with such an awful line up, we should have prioritised winning Cup games, we should really stop trying to play this awful 451 with 3 cdms and an isolated striker. 

It was just more absolute dross decisions from a manager making terrible call after terrible call. 

That he put them right 60 minutes in to the game isn't really much consolation to me. Man City treated yesterday like a training match, they were absolutely there for the taking and we let them off the hook. I find it difficult to forgive that really. 

I'm not angry that we went out of a cup competition to probably the best team in the world but I am hugely disappointed with how it happened. 

I could forgive it far more easily if it was one incident in isolation, too, but it's not. It's awful call after awful call. 

I want to give a manager time to reset and build, it's definitely what we need. We do need someone that can slowly improve our style of football, who can nurture young players and rebuild what was an ageing squad. I will absolutely 100% tolerate some inconsistent results and mid table finishes while it happens. 

No problem. 

But I'm absolutely done with CP. I just don't have any faith that he's the man I want building our future. His tactical decisions are terrible, the players almost never look fired up to be playing for him, the slow starts and the lack of clear tactical plan, the inability to coach any attacking movement? I can't hack it anymore. 

He's just killing my enjoyment of the club. I guess if I got shit faced every Saturday and enjoyed the game bouncing about singing with my mates in SKwhichever then I'd probably be more tolerant. But as someone that's just obsessed with the sport, turns up for the football and nothing else, being a Leicester fan right now is just horrid. 

Great post and now I agree. CP can go as he is not the right manager for our club. I punched the car door when I heard  the team; clearly he was not talking it seriously. One of my mates said that secretly Guardiola was not really wanting to go through because of the 2 game semis in January. His side did just about enough and still we couldn’t take the opportunity. I can’t believe this manager, the setup formation etc, Please go Claude but I guess club will not do it. 

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

Add to that, that Mahrez was desperate to do well, you could see it in his every move (he's allowed to do that). They were a handful.

People can rightly say it was an 'understrength' Man City team but only in the loosest possible sense of the word 'understrength'.

If it was Chilwell, Mahrez would have had a field day yesterday. Fuchs was excellent in giving him very little.

As per comments about Man City not playing their full strength team, maybe so. But it was good enough to finish in the Top 4 and probably get through a group stage in Europe, which is way better than us. And we managed to draw with them over 90 minutes.

Let's see what happens in a week when we might play our "full strength" team. I think Puel got the balance right yesterday. Couple of players didn't perform as well but as a team I thought we were OK. Don't think many players could have made much more of a difference. If Vardy was 100% fit, then absolutely, I would have played him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

No problem. 

Edit: okay so that was actually quite a lot of a moan. lol

Ok, so regarding the line up, I really think injuries had something to do with it so its not quite as simple as saying the manager picked a weak line up.  Also, the club has made statements before that we only prioritise the cups after our league position is satisfactory.  Maybe they dont feel as secure in the league position as they'd like and thats fair enough

Also, we all were a bit worried at that line up, but whatever the failings, we gave a strong Man City team a hard game and we drew it!  Thats not a disaster

I dont really agree that he started wrong and put it right after 60 minutes.  For me thats you interpreting that the manager made good subs in the most negative light you can;   he kept us well in the game and we werent bad first half.  We were better second half.  Its a game we are supposed to lose

I think if our penalties hadnt been so pathetic the whole thing would not have felt so bitter at the end.

You say this.  But is it true?  We are showing consistent mid table finishes under Puel, but you're not happy.  I dont believe the players dont look fired up btw, not seeing that myself

This transition period was always going to be ugly.  To the point where the club were half reluctant to do it for precisely the issues we are having now, but it is clearly necessary. 

It is difficult to change a squad like we need to and we are doing ok considering

I just dont think people are worried enough about the dangers of changing the manager when we dont really need to

Look at the difference between Arsenal and Man United.  Arsenal are a much easier club to come in and do something with because they didnt chop and change managers and there was a consistency, even if they were in decline, they kept buying players in line with a policy and manager and that has set them up to respond well to a new direction

Man United are in chaos because of all the sacrificing of managers

We dont need instant success as a small club to appease the board/fans (well, i thought so!), so we dont need to sacrifice the long term plan for short term success

I understand people's frustrations, but the answer is not sack the manager and I trust that Top and Rudkin etc. see it the same way

I'm sorry if you're not enjoying the club atm.  All I can say is I am and I still look forward to matches and I enjoyed yesterday very much.  The penalties were the only let down for me. (yes, we weren't perfect, but I dont expect us to be)

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

22 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Great post and now I agree. CP can go as he is not the right manager for our club. I punched the car door when I heard  the team; clearly he was not talking it seriously. One of my mates said that secretly Guardiola was not really wanting to go through because of the 2 game semis in January. His side did just about enough and still we couldn’t take the opportunity. I can’t believe this manager, the setup formation etc, Please go Claude but I guess club will not do it. 

If you watched Guardiola when the penalties were being taken you would see he wanted to win.  Pretty sure his thing is he always wants to win.  He wouldnt have put Sterling on otherwise

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

But they also have had bad games,and not been at the races.. 

like many on here you cry out because Puel hasn't selected your favourites..

but jesus...again !!?  nobody has been performing....!!!

IMO your selections are also shite...

we have silly cra p arguments,and split hairs on team selection...Ffs 15 games and nobody deserves to be Automatic choice....

and there isnt...A.... "Well they look better,they are all failing,to deliver good footbal l at any  consistent level.

At present we could put Maguire up front and Vardy at 5.....it wouldn't make a damn difference..Simpson had a good game in my view..

Ricardo was being shouted down not 6 games ago...

Well in your opinion counts for nothing as my selections are the best players we currently have.

But I'm not going to get into a silly argument over it.

Puel should be sacked amd it needs to happen sooner rather than later 

• Haha 1