Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wurmer

Retro Gaming - Remake Suggestions

On 09/01/2019 at 19:16, orangecity23 said:

Do you have any idea of what kind of development environment you are going to use? I've dabbled in a bit of 2D game making as a hobby a few years back, and it's pretty easy to get into, and you can always produce some of the art assets (sprites) yourself, whereas 3D would involve either picking up some free to use 3D models, or making your own - a whole massive sidequest on its own!

For 2D, a lot of Indie developers use Game Maker Studio - a free / relatively cheap option, and it does allow you to build for PC, Android, Apple Platforms, PS4 etc. Tom Francis (developer of Indie games Gunpoint and Heat Signature) has a Youtube playlist with a full set of Game Maker Tutorials that is pretty interesting (some bits will be a bit unnecessary, since you already have software development skills, so you'll probably want to fast forward a bit when he starts explaining basic stuff like how loops and stuff work)

If you are hoping to use it to launch a new career at a games development studio though, you might want to get more stuck into 3D programming, and things like Unity or the Unreal Engine/Unreal Studio.

As for what to make, you could go for a remake of a classic, or take something newer and implement it in a more basic retro type form. Years ago I made an old school style Resident Evil game, but in a top down 2D perspective, using an old tool for making SNES style RPGs called RPG Maker 2003, which was a fun little project while I was at Uni. Then years later found a lets play video on Youtube of some kids in Thailand playing it lol

Anyway, good luck on your project, it sounds really interesting. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see some updates on here as you get stuck into it!

Great response and thanks for the advice.

I’ve previously worked in the games industry as a developer (a long while ago mind you) before moving into the boring side of computing, aka developing business software - I’m not looking to do this as a career, im looking to just have some fun with my skills and rekindle the memories and feeling of making something fun.

I’m going to be using unity, I don’t really want to have to write code in C++ again (I did say I wanted to have fun!) and it had the basics of what I need to build my framework on top of.

On 10/01/2019 at 16:32, Swan Lesta said:

Thrust

Thrust is going on the list - but probably as a framework test or ‘warm-up’ project.

On 11/01/2019 at 15:55, Bobby Hundreds said:

Spy vs Spy

International Karate +

Spy vs Spy - I absolutely loved that, that’s definitely going on the list of possibles...

Edited by wurmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wurmer said:

Thrust is going on the list - but probably as a framework test or ‘warm-up’ project.

Spy vs Spy - I absolutely loved that, that’s definitely going on the list of possibles...

It was one of the most addictive and frustrating games of its time - once completed I remember they asked you to start from the beginning again only with the buttons on the keyboard reversed! Never mastered that! Used to play it on the Colour Genie before I got a spectrum!

• 1 month later...
On 10/01/2019 at 16:32, Swan Lesta said:

Thrust

Thrust was brilliant. So frustrating. Used to sit in Computer Club after school on the BBC Model B (or might even have been a BBC Master). 

Anyhow, the mention of Thrust got me thinking about Superior Software - a real golden age of games for me with my Acorn Electron. Some absolute corkers including

Repton (series)

Deathstar

Citadel

Ravenskull

Palace of Magic

Strykers Run

Syncron

Pipeline

Spycat

and probably loads of others which I've forgotten about. SS used to have full page ads in Electron User. Remember pestering my mum to send of the cheque or postal order for £8.95 to get the latest release on cassette - then having to wait days or weeks for the postman to deliver it!

On 16/02/2019 at 09:47, deejdeej said:

Not bothered about a remake, but I'd love for all of the previous champ man and football managers to be available/compatible with newer systems. Would love to indulge into cm97/98 and 2007 again.

you can get Championship Manager 2001 / 02 for free from champman0102.co.uk

Bit of a faff to get it working (although I managed it so it can't be that difficult). The website has lots of help and mods to run it with present day teams and players.

I think there was a thread on here about it some time ago. I'll have to take a look and see if I can find it

EDIT

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
28 minutes ago, Kyle_Le_Don said:

Just bought the sega megadrive flashback  with 85 games from argos. Nostalgia at its finest

Thinking of getting super nintendo with the 21 games next too

You can pay most of them for 'free' if you have an online subscription on the Switch if that's within your budget.