Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wurmer

Retro Gaming - Remake Suggestions

Looking to get out of corporate drudgery - I'm looking to put my software dev skills to good use and embark on a project to remake a classic old game.

I'm not looking to emulate an old game, but remake/re-imagine it.

I have a couple of ideas of which titles to look at, but if you were able to choose a game, which would it be (and what platform)?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wurmer said:

Looking to get out of corporate drudgery - I'm looking to put my software dev skills to good use and embark on a project to remake a classic old game.

I have a couple of ideas of which titles to look at, but if you were able to choose a game, which would it be (and what platform)?

How old are we talking? Sprite-style graphics? PS1-era 3D?

8 hours ago, wurmer said:

Do you have any idea of what kind of development environment you are going to use? I've dabbled in a bit of 2D game making as a hobby a few years back, and it's pretty easy to get into, and you can always produce some of the art assets (sprites) yourself, whereas 3D would involve either picking up some free to use 3D models, or making your own - a whole massive sidequest on its own!

For 2D, a lot of Indie developers use Game Maker Studio - a free / relatively cheap option, and it does allow you to build for PC, Android, Apple Platforms, PS4 etc. Tom Francis (developer of Indie games Gunpoint and Heat Signature) has a Youtube playlist with a full set of Game Maker Tutorials that is pretty interesting (some bits will be a bit unnecessary, since you already have software development skills, so you'll probably want to fast forward a bit when he starts explaining basic stuff like how loops and stuff work)

If you are hoping to use it to launch a new career at a games development studio though, you might want to get more stuck into 3D programming, and things like Unity or the Unreal Engine/Unreal Studio.

As for what to make, you could go for a remake of a classic, or take something newer and implement it in a more basic retro type form. Years ago I made an old school style Resident Evil game, but in a top down 2D perspective, using an old tool for making SNES style RPGs called RPG Maker 2003, which was a fun little project while I was at Uni. Then years later found a lets play video on Youtube of some kids in Thailand playing it lol

Anyway, good luck on your project, it sounds really interesting. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see some updates on here as you get stuck into it!

c64

Bruce lee - first game I completed round my mates house.

Out run - cant remember what level it was but I could never get past it.

Atari 2600

spy hunter

qbert - I was immense at that game

bbc micro???

citadel - used to play this at school back in the mid 80's

sega master

alex the kidd - played this whilst babysitting my niece