Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Favourite Film Openings and Endings

2 hours ago, MikeyT said:

I'm one of the few who actually loved The Davinci Code. Ending scene from that which also is the music that is in our Leicester city montage video before KO. 

Loved the film. Then my sister said if you read the book then watch the film you realise the film is not great.

Which is sadly true. Just doesn't capture the books enough, which is a shame as the book is arguably one of the best books ive read

22 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Loved the film. Then my sister said if you read the book then watch the film you realise the film is not great.

Which is sadly true. Just doesn't capture the books enough, which is a shame as the book is arguably one of the best books ive read

I have to confess I haven't actually read the book. I keep meaning to and never get around to it. 

12 minutes ago, MikeyT said:

I have to confess I haven't actually read the book. I keep meaning to and never get around to it. 

I'm not a reader of books, in fact I think I can count on 1 hand the amount of books ive fully read. I assure you though if you enjoyed the film then for sure read the book. You wont be able to put it down.

Then you will watch the film and realise its terrible when compared lol. To be fair though not many films can capture the true essence of the book.

• 2 years later...
On 18/01/2019 at 13:05, Carl the Llama said:

Saving Private Ryan has to be the winner when it comes to openings tbf.

Personally think the Shining's opening is hugely overrated. So boring. Rest of the film is great.

Lastly my candidate for a great start to a film is Jurassic Park. Shoot her, shooooot herrrrrr. Great stuff.

Haha what a fvcking dumbass, the Shining is a classic opener, dunno what I was smoking in early 2019.

But still:

On 18/01/2019 at 13:05, Carl the Llama said:

Saving Private Ryan has to be the winner when it comes to openings tbf.

Personally think the Shining's opening is hugely overrated. So boring. Rest of the film is great.

Lastly my candidate for a great start to a film is Jurassic Park. Shoot her, shooooot herrrrrr. Great stuff.

It's very sinister though. Getting further and further away from safety and nearer to total isolation. The helicopter shadow kinda kills it for me although I'm sure Kubrick did it deliberately. 

For me, best start is Up. Don't think the rest of the film is as good sadly.

End, Paddington 2 anyone? Nothing tops It's a Wonderful Life though! Leon i like a lot too.

On 19/01/2019 at 11:11, The Blur said:

THAT chicken chase in at the start of City of God all day long.   I am deaf so I would miss out on atmospheric music on films such as Jaws but even I can really identify with the vibe for this film,    The scene also captures the film in a nutshell beautifully as well.  

Yes! I saw the thread title and thought of this straight away and hoped no-one had already chosen it. Absolutely superb opening and a wonderful film. City of Men is ace too.

You've obviously got excellent taste!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

In 52 years, I still don't think anyone has come up with a better opening than to "The Italian Job".

The juxtaposition of Matt Munro's dulcet tones, the Lamborghini Miura, the beautiful Italian Alpine scenery ... and then BANG!

I was going to put this forward for beginning and ending.

Would love there to be some kind of sequel, over 50 years on, with what happened and Michael Caine doing another job! 

• Like 1