Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tom12345

NDIDI

What I would give to have a 26 year old Steven Nzonzi in our team. 6'4 dominant DM who can slot in as a 3rd centre back when needed but has great ball control and passing ability.

I actually think this is an area Brendan might look at. As good as Ndidi is at breaking up play, his other parts of the game are so poor it cannot be ignored.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

N'Didi is possibly the best tackler/interceptor in the league. He is an excellent young player who will only get better but I'd like to suggest that maybe he isn't the DM for the system that Rodgers wants to play.

In Rodgers system the DM needs to be able to receive a ball and immediately one touch it to another player. He needs to be able to pass forwards to tielemans or Maddison (or a winger /Wingback). Wilf is not this player. He needs two touches and he needs time when he has the ball. I've got to the stage that on every passing sequence I'm waiting with bated breath for the pass to Wilf and the worry of whether he'll miscontrol the ball or pass it to the opposition.

Please tell me that his control and quickness of thought is going to improve quickly this season.

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Ndidi was fine at his job, but having him drop deep to recieve the ball is part of why we couldn't do anything imo. Not faulting him at all he did a lot of work today but he just can't pass the way Rodgers needs him to.

I would like to see Praet come in and do that job. N'didi needs to start as he is amazing at what he does, but asking him to be a deep sitting play maker is far to big an ask for someone with his limited ability on the ball. 

The issue is, how do we get Praet in the team as well as get Maddison back central, but also maintain some width with a player like Barnes. 

I think we should have two systems ready. Start with the 4-3-2-1 and hope the full-backs provide the width but have 4-4-1-1 ready with Barnes/Albrighton to come on if struggling to break a team down. 

10 hours ago, FIF said:

N'Didi is possibly the best tackler/interceptor in the league. He is an excellent young player who will only get better but I'd like to suggest that maybe he isn't the DM for the system that Rodgers wants to play.

In Rodgers system the DM needs to be able to receive a ball and immediately one touch it to another player. He needs to be able to pass forwards to tielemans or Maddison (or a winger /Wingback). Wilf is not this player. He needs two touches and he needs time when he has the ball. I've got to the stage that on every passing sequence I'm waiting with bated breath for the pass to Wilf and the worry of whether he'll miscontrol the ball or pass it to the opposition.

Please tell me that his control and quickness of thought is going to improve quickly this season.

All of our players appear to need more than one touch - except Gray who simply gives it away.

Chilwell,, for instance, dwells and dwells on the ball until he finally plays it backwards or sideways, or if he is feeling adventurous plays it forwards for Maddison to chase or simply crosses it to no one in particular or out of touch. Tielemans can pick a pass (particularly if he has all the time in the world) but routinely takes numerous touches. Frankly only Ricardo seems to grasp the concept of the quick give and go, but he often gives and not get (albeit not today when he put in a largely pedestrian performance with much of the rest of the team). The notion that we effortlessly knock the ball in triangles around the park until it gets to Ndidi (or the DMs, as someone else muted elsewhere on FT) is a fallacy.

To be brutally honest, the reality is that (particularly in the Wolves game and at OT yesterday), we enjoy loads of possession shuffling the ball back and forth between defense and midfield but then seem to run out of ideas in the final third.

6 hours ago, STUHILL said:

I would like to see Praet come in and do that job. N'didi needs to start as he is amazing at what he does, but asking him to be a deep sitting play maker is far to big an ask for someone with his limited ability on the ball. 

The issue is, how do we get Praet in the team as well as get Maddison back central, but also maintain some width with a player like Barnes. 

I think we should have two systems ready. Start with the 4-3-2-1 and hope the full-backs provide the width but have 4-4-1-1 ready with Barnes/Albrighton to come on if struggling to break a team down. 

You don’t really need both Praet and Tielemans in the same starting lineup (except for specific games and/or situations), just as we didn’t really need both Hamza and Ndidi in the starting lineup yesterday, and personally I will opt for Tielemans over Praet until further notice or evidence.

If we have Maddison playing more centrally (where he has shown a zillion times that he is most effective) rather than wide left, but closer to Vardy (who yesterday was again stranded desperately alone by our starting formation), then have Tielemans (or Praet) in a slightly deeper role behind him, we can easily afford to have Ndidi keep sitting as deep as he does doing what he does better than most in the EPL.

2 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

With Evans, Soyuncu, and Maddison (in the second-half), one of the few who acquitted himself well today.

No he didn't.

Evans and Maddison were head and shoulders abve the others. Soyuncu made the one mistake but it was decisive, Kasper is the other player who didn't have a good game. 

I know you're a big fan of Wilf and rightly so but he's first touch is a disaster - I'd go so far to say that it is as bad as his ability to intercept is good, most of the rest of the team can play one touch triangles ( admittedly they don't often go forwards) though I accept the comments about Ben.

The most exciting thing yesterday was his clearly improved short passing. It's not always there, but if he can consistently bring that out he could start for just about any team in the world and be one of their best players. I'll also never get tired of yelling in frustration when he loses the ball only for him to win it back 2 seconds later, often from the very person who took it from him. 

Man of the match by a country mile vs Spurs imo. And that’s saying something given the strong performances we saw across the pitch! He was constantly winning the ball back and his passing noticeably improved.

Who needs to put two defensive midfielders in the team when Wilf’s doing all the dirty work by himself anyway? Possibly our most valuable asset (especially with how crucial he is to the way we play) and I hope he continues to go relatively under the radar.