Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Emiliano Sala Missing.

Have to say I agree with Izzy that it seems a bit odd that planes these days don't have functional gps location devices for events such as this.  We have the technology to build a small box with an isolated power source capable of sending constant signals up to the satellites in space, surely?  Even if they don't work in the water we'd at least have an idea of where exactly they hit it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Unbelievably sad, can only hope and pray.

I am i right in reading that the plane had a single engine and a single person who could fly it. Seems wholly inappropriate for that flight. The guy realsied this and was frightened it transpires. Heart wrenching

Yes, I think so. It was a light aircraft with a single prop, and it only had two people on board - Sala and the pilot.

It's quite shocking that this can happen, really. Why no co-pilot? Why is there seemingly no emergency GPS signal alerting the coast guard to their exact location at the first sign of danger? Surely, people on board a light aircraft could wear some sort of waterproof device that is constantly tracked by the coast guard with today's technology.

• Like 2

Such terrible news, heart really goes out to all involved. 

Don't mean to be insensitive but I was wondering what happens to a deal when a tragedy like this occurs - Nantes let a player go, are Cardiff still liable for the £15,000,000 purchase?

Given his many controversial viewpoints during his time in the game, wonder how Neil Warnock will publically react to this tragic incident.

Hoping it's found soon, as the longer they keep searching and no trace of the aircraft, the more likely it'll end up as an upsetting mystery/another wreck in a sea location that's infamously notorious with the latter.

29 minutes ago, oakman said:

Don't mean to be insensitive but I was wondering what happens to a deal when a tragedy like this occurs - Nantes let a player go, are Cardiff still liable for the £15,000,000 purchase?

Was wondering about this myself in honesty.

33 minutes ago, oakman said:

Quite natural to think of things like this IMO, especially if it takes your mind off the human tragedy of the incident. 

I would imagine that the fee was agreed and signed on but would have been due in instalments. It may also have included add-ons, like £10m for the initial transfer then extras if they stay up etc. 

I should hope Cardiff are insured for this kind of thing though if not their owner should be able to afford to cover it within the rules. 

If they refuse to pay it then Nantes would have to pursue them in court to retrieve it. I don’t think Cardiff would really have a leg to stand on - especially if it was their owners plane too. 

I hope it doesn’t turn nasty. 

29 minutes ago, oakman said:

You would presume so, but I really don't know. 

If you buy a tv from Argos and smash it on the way out of the shop then it's on you, right?

38 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Given his many controversial viewpoints during his time in the game, wonder how Neil Warnock will publically react to this tragic incident.

Hoping it's found soon, as the longer they keep searching and no trace of the aircraft, the more likely it'll end up as an upsetting mystery/another wreck in a sea location that's infamously notorious with the latter.

I'm sure Warnock will handle it fine. No doubt he will view it, like all of us, as a human tragedy. Warnock's a decent guy. Most of his "controversial" viewpoints are nothing more than winding people up to get the rise out of them (or his own team) in some way - something he has been very good at over the years!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Still having trouble with what the rush was to get him back yesterday evening and in such a small plane?

Probably not questions to be asking right now but the more strange im finding that decision.

Thoughts most definitely with all family concerned, cannot imagine what they are feeling right now.

I don’t understand why a valuable asset like sala was on a plane with one just one pilot. I know it’s normal for these planes to only have one pilot, but with sala onboard?

what if the pilot had a stroke, or heart attack? 

With our sad event, there was at least 2 pilots should one have succumbed to an illness mid flight.

not to mention the type of aircraft in this case, which I’m led to believe are far less safe then commercial or smaller business jets. 

Just beggars belief in my opinion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

I don’t understand why a valuable asset like sala was on a plane with one just one pilot. I know it’s normal for these planes to only have one pilot, but with sala onboard?

what if the pilot had a stroke, or heart attack? 

With our sad event, there was at least 2 pilots should one have succumbed to an illness mid flight.

not to mention the type of aircraft in this case, which I’m led to believe are far less safe then commercial or smaller business jets. 

Just beggars belief in my opinion.

There are thousands upon thousands of flights every day with only one pilot. The risk is still low. What about getting a lift to/from the airport in a car - with only one driver. Statistically he (or any of us) are much more likely to be killed in a road accident.

This type of aircraft is also "safe". The weather may have played a part here., possibly a malfunction with the aircraft too but it is too early to say.

EDIT - in the end it comes down to money. On the CCFC forum some guy reckons it is usually the players agent who arranges transport like this. I suppose he could hire a Gulfstream jet but it is probably a high cost/low risk analysis to transport one person on a couple of hours flight.

Edited by stripeyfox

By David Elliott, Charlie Wilson, Katie Sands 

The pilot who is missing along with Emiliano Sala has now been named as Dave Ibbotson.

Mr Ibbotson, from North Lincolnshire, and new Cardiff City signing Sala, are both unaccounted for after the light aircraft they were travelling in disappeared from radar near the Channel Islands on Monday, Grimsby Live reports .

The plane had taken off from the French city of Nantes, where Sala had been saying farewell to his ex-team-mates, and was destined to land in Cardiff.

A search operation has been under way since the alarm was raised at around 8.30pm on Monday.

Guernsey Police said on Tuesday that a number of floating objects have been spotted in the water during the search operation, but authorities have been unable to confirm if they are from the missing aircraft.

The search resumed on Wednesday at 7.30am, with the search focusing on coastal areas around Alderney and off-lying rocks and islands.

5604FD5B-7038-4410-A27F-0A3A3D2F5E06.jpeg
5604FD5B-7038-4410-A27F-0A3A3D2F5E06.jpeg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Grimsby Live report that Mr Ibbotson is an experienced private pilot from Crowle, near Scunthorpe.

It is understood Mr Ibbotson had been hired along with the Norfolk-registered single engine plane, by Sala’s representatives to fly the player to Cardiff after he had said his farewells.

Mr Ibbotson, who worked as a gas engineer based in Crowle, is believed to have had extensive experience carrying parachute enthusiasts on flights from private airfields.

On Saturday night, Mr Ibbotson checked in on Facebook to the Les Champs d’Avaux hotel at Nantes Atlantique airport.

Today at the family house in Crowle, 10 miles from Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire, a woman who was visibly upset said: “We do not wish to give a comment.”

It comes as police have said a decision over whether to continue the search will be taken later today (Wednesday).

Further details of the plane Sala and Mr Ibbotson were travelling on have come to light today.

Cardiff say they did not organise the private flight for record signing Sala.

The club told WalesOnline this morning that they offered their £15million new striker a commercial flight to come to Cardiff to link up with his team-mates for the first time.

However, other travel arrangements for the journey over the English Channel were made at Sala’s end.

Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman said on Wednesday morning: "I can say to you categorically that the plane had nothing to do with Cardiff City.

“We were not involved in booking the plane. In fact, we are trying to ascertain ourselves exactly what did happen. The club is looking into the matter and we want to find answers too.

“We spoke to the player and asked him if he wanted us to make arrangements for his flight which, quite frankly, would have been commercial.

“I can’t tell you who arranged the flight because I don’t know at this stage - but it certainly wasn’t Cardiff City.”

Cardiff City did not organise Emiliano Sala private plane, chairman Mehmet Dalman says 

The UK’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch confirmed they are investigating the loss of the aircraft.

In a statement, they said: "On Monday night, a US-registered Piper PA-46-310P Malibu aircraft (registration N264DB) was lost from radar north of Guernsey.

“The aircraft was en route from Nantes, France, to Cardiff, United Kingdom, with one pilot and one passenger on board.

“In accordance with international protocols, the AAIB is investigating the loss of the aircraft.

“Since Tuesday morning, we have been working closely with international authorities including the US National Transportation Safety Board, the Bureau d’Enquetes & d’Analyses (BEA) in France and the Junta de Investigacion de Accidentes de Aviacion Civil (JIACC) in Argentina.

“We will be gathering all the available evidence to conduct a thorough investigation. However, if the aircraft is not found it is likely to limit the scope of the investigation.”

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

By David Elliott, Charlie Wilson, Katie Sands 

The pilot who is missing along with Emiliano Sala has now been named as Dave Ibbotson.

Mr Ibbotson, from North Lincolnshire, and new Cardiff City signing Sala, are both unaccounted for after the light aircraft they were travelling in disappeared from radar near the Channel Islands on Monday, Grimsby Live reports .

The plane had taken off from the French city of Nantes, where Sala had been saying farewell to his ex-team-mates, and was destined to land in Cardiff.

A search operation has been under way since the alarm was raised at around 8.30pm on Monday.

Guernsey Police said on Tuesday that a number of floating objects have been spotted in the water during the search operation, but authorities have been unable to confirm if they are from the missing aircraft.

The search resumed on Wednesday at 7.30am, with the search focusing on coastal areas around Alderney and off-lying rocks and islands.

5604FD5B-7038-4410-A27F-0A3A3D2F5E06.jpeg
5604FD5B-7038-4410-A27F-0A3A3D2F5E06.jpeg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Grimsby Live report that Mr Ibbotson is an experienced private pilot from Crowle, near Scunthorpe.

It is understood Mr Ibbotson had been hired along with the Norfolk-registered single engine plane, by Sala’s representatives to fly the player to Cardiff after he had said his farewells.

Mr Ibbotson, who worked as a gas engineer based in Crowle, is believed to have had extensive experience carrying parachute enthusiasts on flights from private airfields.

On Saturday night, Mr Ibbotson checked in on Facebook to the Les Champs d’Avaux hotel at Nantes Atlantique airport.

Today at the family house in Crowle, 10 miles from Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire, a woman who was visibly upset said: “We do not wish to give a comment.”

It comes as police have said a decision over whether to continue the search will be taken later today (Wednesday).

Further details of the plane Sala and Mr Ibbotson were travelling on have come to light today.

Cardiff say they did not organise the private flight for record signing Sala.

The club told WalesOnline this morning that they offered their £15million new striker a commercial flight to come to Cardiff to link up with his team-mates for the first time.

However, other travel arrangements for the journey over the English Channel were made at Sala’s end.

Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman said on Wednesday morning: "I can say to you categorically that the plane had nothing to do with Cardiff City.

“We were not involved in booking the plane. In fact, we are trying to ascertain ourselves exactly what did happen. The club is looking into the matter and we want to find answers too.

“We spoke to the player and asked him if he wanted us to make arrangements for his flight which, quite frankly, would have been commercial.

“I can’t tell you who arranged the flight because I don’t know at this stage - but it certainly wasn’t Cardiff City.”

Cardiff City did not organise Emiliano Sala private plane, chairman Mehmet Dalman says 

The UK’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch confirmed they are investigating the loss of the aircraft.

In a statement, they said: "On Monday night, a US-registered Piper PA-46-310P Malibu aircraft (registration N264DB) was lost from radar north of Guernsey.

“The aircraft was en route from Nantes, France, to Cardiff, United Kingdom, with one pilot and one passenger on board.

“In accordance with international protocols, the AAIB is investigating the loss of the aircraft.

“Since Tuesday morning, we have been working closely with international authorities including the US National Transportation Safety Board, the Bureau d’Enquetes & d’Analyses (BEA) in France and the Junta de Investigacion de Accidentes de Aviacion Civil (JIACC) in Argentina.

“We will be gathering all the available evidence to conduct a thorough investigation. However, if the aircraft is not found it is likely to limit the scope of the investigation.”

There's a very slight hint of litigation in that answer from Cardiff

Cardiff's insurers - at a guess - may well try and pin some liability on the agent's arrangements and any lack of due diligence on their part

9 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

Having just heard the WhatsApp audio,

it surprised me that he didn’t seem upset or distressed,so with that said I hope there found alive and it’s not as bad as we all fear,though I think I’m wrong,

but for someone at deaths door he seemed quite chilled 

I think the irony is he thought he was joking. But half way through the audio you hear the engine cut out and restart! So you can imagine even if he wasn’t stressing the pilot was. The audio ends after that and you can’t fully hear the engine restart so it could have been towards the end... terrifying 

On 22/01/2019 at 12:54, urban.spaceman said:

A Cardiff fan on one of their forums reckons they’re searching the New Forest?

Thank you so much for your support foxes fans. I loved your welcome when we played you at the King power recently. I couldn't believe that even after we had won there were people in the streets clapping are coaches as we went by. Never experienced that before. 

We are all devastated and cold at the moment as you can imagine. Emilia no Sala was touted at being our possible saviour, a prolific goal scorer who was third in the French league above Neymar and Caavani! Such a tragic loss of life. 

We never saw him play, but he will always be a bluebird in our eyes. There is possibly still a slight glimmer of hope. 

Our prayers are with you Sala and the pilot.

Thank you are brothers in Leicester.

(I'm assuming the post above is not a joke) 

Edited by John bluebird
  • Like 4

I think this case highlights just how difficult it is to find a lost aircraft at sea. That Australian prime minister's comment re Malaysian missing plane "It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack but not being able to find the haystack" really sums up the difficulty. 

The search area for Sala is relatively small compared to the Malaysian one and they've still had no luck In one of the busiest shipping channels in the world. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

Having just heard the WhatsApp audio,

it surprised me that he didn’t seem upset or distressed,so with that said I hope there found alive and it’s not as bad as we all fear,though I think I’m wrong,

but for someone at deaths door he seemed quite chilled 

I think that message was before or just after he took off. He mentions contacting his friends in 1.5 hours, which is the approximate duration of the flight. The plane only ran into trouble halfway through.

• Like 1