Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Kasper article

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's been awful for pinging it out for a throw in this season under no pressure. Think he's had a better season than last year though in general.

Think the saves stats are too easy to manipulate. Aren't Burnley's goalkeepers always scoring stupidly high on FPL for example because they build their game around allowing a lot of shots, albeit poor ones at them?

I can't work out his kicking. Far too often he floats it out to the full-back and it seems too heavy then out of play, other times he'll drill it straight to an opponent 30-35 yards out.

He either needs to play it short on the floor or go long.

Terrible article aside... Kasper and Vardy still hold so much influence on this squad that they may well be hindering our overall transition into a youthful possession based side.

Lets be honest if Claude had unlimited funds tomorrow he'd go out and buy a bigger focal point/target man up top and he'd buy a sweeper/ball playing keeper. 

He's already shown that with the defensive purchases and the phasing out of Wes. 

Edited by AjcW

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think this has probably been his poorest season in the prem, but I don't think i've seen any suggest they'd want to get rid of him. For me, deserves his place at the club until he decides he needs to move elsewhere or just gets too old

He was worse than this last season for me. Remember in summer 2017 he was linked with Manchester United and plenty of their fans were sneering at him after he'd had a very good season for us. They had the laugh for that season after.

Think he's been better this year but not at his absolute best.

I think an article such as this discounts the ability, leadership and commitment Kasper has towards us. It's bizarre to compare shot stopping ability based on saves per game; our style of football generally restricts the opposition to taking a minimal amount of shots. Furthermore, by negatively portraying him here in saying that he doesn't save enough of these shots - how do they test the quality of a shot? Both the Cardiff goal and Sigurdsson's against us were absolutely outstanding. I personally feel like this is journalism that aims to pick apart an unnecessary feature of our team. Even if Kasper isn't classed as a tier 1 goalkeeper in world football, what would even have to stump up to get one? Which would ever think about coming to Leicester? We're lucky to have him and he looks like he wants to stay here for his career, which I think is an incredibly valuable prospect. 

Kasper remains a fabulous shot stopper - one of the very best. Some of his saves are world-class.

However, while his kicking is, let's say, erratic, it's not the worst aspect of his game in my opinion.

His big weakness is an inability to command his six-yard box at corners. I can't recall the last time he actually moved off his line to claim and catch a corner. He's punched it away a few times but generally he just stands there and lets the defenders deal with it, which I'm sure opposition managers have noted.

I feel kind of bad mentioning this because he is such a lovely bloke - and an LCFC champion of England forever - but it's becoming a major concern.

Until this season his distribution had ben improving - it was never a strong point. It would appear the coaching staff are telling him to always build from the back and this is leading to mistakes. It also doesn't hel with Vardy being so isolated should he be thnking of the long ball

This is the problem with stats. 

They prove fvck all Schmeichel may have a similar pass completion record to other mid table keepers, but it doesn’t account for the number of passes that have gifted possession to the opposition in a dangerous position. Booting it over Chilwell’s head is annoying but not risky. Splitting the centre backs and then not finding a midfielder is a massive risk.

You have to look at the tactics, splitting the centre backs to give it short and wide from a goal kick is madness when there is no pace, even more so when one is Morgan, it is also crazy to play it into the middle to Ndidi, who’s not the best on the ball, or Mendy, who’s not the strongest. There is no margin for error when the full backs are forwards Centre backs wide and Centre mids isolated. If we are determined to build from the back then we need to keep our shape, especially full backs, but also the front players need to come deeper. Then we need to play low risk balls until ready to release the attack.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

Ive always rated Kasper and Vards for seemingly not looking for a transfer when lets face it, they could have gone to so called "bigger" clubs after we won the league.

Kasper seems hell bent seeing his career out with us and I really thank him for his efforts because he has been very good. He has never been great at taking crosses and his distribution can be hit and miss but overall I think he is a very solid and above average GK who hopefully has some great years ahead of him for us. The only thing I wish he didnt do is still trying to launch it quickly like we are playing counter attacking football. We should keep the ball a little more and he needn't rush IMO. Its not a major complaint though and there are very few GKs Id swap him for.

His kicking is abysmal. His attitude annoys me - it's always seems to be everyone else';s fault.

I sit behind the goal in the Kop and for the last two home games, there's been a collective groan at his constant shit kicking (out of play) and on both occasions he has stared at us as if to say "what I have I done wrong?".

I'm glad we have a decent no. 2 now but Kasper still seems to come across as undtoppable to me.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

His kicking is abysmal. His attitude annoys me - it's always seems to be everyone else';s fault.

I sit behind the goal in the Kop and for the last two home games, there's been a collective groan at his constant shit kicking (out of play) and on both occasions he has stared at us as if to say "what I have I done wrong?".

I'm glad we have a decent no. 2 now but Kasper still seems to come across as undtoppable to me.

I wasn’t brave enough to put this but essentially what I meant about him and Vardy above lol 

I think he's decent with his feet, but he's guilty at times of being overambitious with some of his quicker distributions. 

I just accept now that modern keepers sometimes give the ball away. Even the best keepers in the world are guilty of it. Look at Allison for example.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It's not abysmal. Ok, against Man Utd it wasn't great, but he is capable of some fantastic deliveries with his feet.

Did you not see Ben Hamer? That was abysmal.

Things have got so toxic that people have started turning on players like Maddison, Vardy and Schmeichel. They are not the problem. If you think any of those are bad players and that we should expect better then your expectations have got wildly out of control.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ricey said:

It's not abysmal. Ok, against Man Utd it wasn't great, but he is capable of some fantastic deliveries with his feet.

Did you not see Ben Hamer? That was abysmal.

Things have got so toxic that people have started turning on players like Maddison, Vardy and Schmeichel. They are not the problem. If you think any of those are bad players and that we should expect better then your expectations have got wildly out of control.

He is capable of some fantastic deliveries but the other 70% are horrific. Constantly kicks the ball out of play, in particular when looking for Chilwell. Against Southampton his poor kick led to conceding a penalty. Yes Mendy gave it away but he shouldn't have been in that position.

I haven't got wild expectations. I just expect the basics to be right. Any keeper should be reaching a blue shirt, not constantly putting it out of play. Maguire and Evans even come short and he often ignores them.

And yeah I saw Hamer. I also saw Douglas, Logan and Pressman. But they're all irrelevant because they ain't our number one anymore.

The same players get away with the same things.

22 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I thought Schmeichel has been having quite a good season :blink:

Me to?

No idea what this article is about tbh.

The funny thing is, people will always say how great Lloris is with his feet and in general (yes I know he's a world cup winner). Yet he makes so many clangers and again, gives the ball away so, so much at crucial times in spite of his supposed ability to play out from the back. World class shot stopper, arguably the best but much worse than Kasper in that regard.

The thing is, with the lack of height, the tactic will always be to go to Chilwell because he has such a great leap, meaning if he gets a run at the ball, he's winning the header. I think Kasper can do it, we just are set up as a team to do that or tactics dictate he doesn't try something else.

On 06/02/2019 at 21:25, urban.spaceman said:

Kasper Schmeichel: Time To Question the Leicester City Goalkeeper?

Ben WalshFebruary 6, 2019
Kasper-Schmeichal.jpg LEICESTER, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 03: Kasper Schmeichel of Leicester City during the Premier League match between Leicester City and Manchester United at The King Power Stadium on February 3, 2019 in Leicester, United Kingdom. (Photo by James Williamson - AMA/Getty Images)

Kasper Schmeichel has been Leicester City’s undisputed number one since joining in 2011. He has been a vital part of the club’s success, with heroic goalkeeping keeping Leicester in games on countless occasions.

Kasper Schmeichel: Time To Question the Leicester City Goalkeeper?

However, this season has seen him come in for criticism with regards to certain aspects of his game. Under Claude Puel, there is a much greater emphasis on playing out from the back then under previous management. Puel has a history of using ball playing goalkeepers: Fabian Barthez, Hugo LlorisDavid Ospina all played under the Frenchman.

There has certainly been an element of frustration from Leicester fans towards Schmeichel this season. On a weekly basis, he seems to give the ball to the opposition in a dangerous area or sail a goal kick out of bounds. In the modern game, a goalkeeper with the ability to be a force on the ball is important. In Claude Puel’s possession-based system, it is essential. But do the stats back up the view that Schmeichel’s distribution is limiting Leicester?

What Do the Statistics Say?

The most direct comparison to Leicester City in terms of league position and playing style is probably Wolves. Thus, this season’s performances of Schmeichel have been compared to Wolves’ keeper Rui Patricio and Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.

Kasper Schmeichel has completed significantly more passes than both Rui Patricio and Jordan Pickford: 327 to 211 and 300. Interestingly, Schmeichel also has a higher average length of distribution. He also has a marginally higher distribution accuracy than Patricio (62.6% compared to 61.8%), however, it is lower than Pickford’s (66.87%). This evidence suggests that Schmeichel is stronger on the ball than Rui Patricio, whilst comparison to Pickford is harder due to their different play styles.

For context, Schmeichel was also compared to three of the best ball-playing goalkeepers in the league: Hugo Lloris, Ederson and Alisson. Schmeichel’s distribution accuracy was significantly lower than all three. Whilst some of this can be attributed to a lower average distribution length, there is no doubt that all three are better distributors. Whilst this is unsurprising, the vast difference highlights Schmeichel’s potential limitations in Puel’s system.

Surprisingly, Schmeichel compares relatively poorly to Patricio and Pickford in other areas. His greatest strength has always been considered to be his shot stopping. However, Schmeichel averages only 1.71 saves per goal conceded compared to Patricio’s 2.69 and Pickford’s 1.85. It is not only Patricio that Schmeichel compares against poorly in this area. Ben Foster (2.39) and Lukasz Fabianski (2.85) also have much better numbers in this domain.

So What Does It All Mean?

Kasper Schmeichel undoubtedly remains one of the better Premier League goalkeepers. The statistics suggest that he is a better or similar distributor than those at clubs of a similar level to Leicester. Unsurprisingly, he falls way behind in comparison to the best ball playing keepers in the league.

What has surprised is Schmeichel’s relatively poor saves to goal success ratio. Given that this is perceived to be one of his greatest strengths, it is worrying that he lags so far behind goalkeepers at similar clubs.

Ultimately Schmeichel will remain the undisputed starter this season. Much of his future may depend on that of Claude Puel. Should the under-fire manager depart, a change in style may follow, which would make the conversation irrelevant. However, if Puel remains, he may start to think about finding a goalkeeper who can help to progress his ball playing, possession-based style of play.

I don’t think Allison is a great passer of the ball tho. His passing accuracy is better purely because he doesn’t attempt many long passes. 

Like some others on here I think Kasper’s passing can be fantastic. He takes more risks and he doesn’t always get it right but let’s be honest other than a short pass to a CB or a rare chance to ping it over a breaking Vardy’s head, there’s not much option. Chilwell is the only option most of the time, and tbf he’s fantastic in the air. Kasper can’t trust Mendy and Ndidi so rarely gives them a pass, Ricardo is too small to take a pass like Chilly on the other side and we have no target man alongside Vardy for a longer pass. 

Edited by funkyrobot

4 hours ago, AjcW said:

Terrible article aside... Kasper and Vardy still hold so much influence on this squad that they may well be hindering our overall transition into a youthful possession based side.

Lets be honest if Claude had unlimited funds tomorrow he'd go out and buy a bigger focal point/target man up top and he'd buy a sweeper/ball playing keeper. 

He's already shown that with the defensive purchases and the phasing out of Wes. 

He has had two windows to get a target man in...loan/transfer etc..

Not even been linked with one.

Sold Ulloa, loans out Slimani...

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He is capable of some fantastic deliveries but the other 70% are horrific. Constantly kicks the ball out of play, in particular when looking for Chilwell. Against Southampton his poor kick led to conceding a penalty. Yes Mendy gave it away but he shouldn't have been in that position.

I haven't got wild expectations. I just expect the basics to be right. Any keeper should be reaching a blue shirt, not constantly putting it out of play. Maguire and Evans even come short and he often ignores them.

And yeah I saw Hamer. I also saw Douglas, Logan and Pressman. But they're all irrelevant because they ain't our number one anymore.

The same players get away with the same things.

I think Puel encourages the ball out to the full backs. If Kasper has the option to do that but decides to play safe then Puel goes apeshit on the sidelines.

As good of a keeper as we are gonna get, if anything the questions should be asked of the goalkeeping coach not the keeper himself. 8 years of work from the coach and his kicking and commanding of the box is just as good as when we first brought him in. Surely this should've been worked upon.