Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SuperMike

Spurs Away Post Match 3-1

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Wolves aren't in transition and they've bought in ready made players. We have to develop ours and that takes time. But you know that already and just pretending to be dumb. Unless you're just dumb?

You do know that Wolves got promoted last season and are automatic favourites for relegation, so by definition have to be a team in transition

Edited by 5waller5

21 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

If Puel continues to play Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes and Gray together, I think we’ll walk the next few games.

Where will Vardy fit in that mix? Not a jab. Maybe he does impact the match more as a sub, but I don’t know.

2 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

We’ve got 2 of England’s back 4, Portugal’s right back, Nigeria’s DM, England’s top prospects playing, Belgium’s best young midfielder! 

It’s so obvious it’s Puel holding us back! To be 1 place above Brighton is unforgivable, and behind “crisis club” Everton is further evidence  

once Puel goes we should see an Man Utd type change in our fortunes 

I really can't figure our if you're being sarcastic or not? 

1 minute ago, shailen said:

So frustrating as we created more without Vardy but ironically cannot take those chances without him. I think we need to find a way to play how we did today but have Vardy in the team. 

For me go 4-3-3 with Maddison dropping into midfield with Tielemans and Ndidi. Pit Gray and Barnes on the wing with Vardy up front.

To suggest we created more without, Jesus wept. 

Vardy should start simple as that.

Tielemans was the difference let's not over complicate this. 

Maddison created the most chances again...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

He probably hasn’t shown any manager any respect apart from Pearson , think it’s time for him to move 

Has any manager since Pearson actually commanded any respect? 

And who wouldnt respect Pearson? You would find your self taking a long drive with some of the boys.

Difficult to not see the positives today - we looked amazing going forward generally until we got to the point that it needed a finish - where our lack of striker was a glaring omission.

Claude seems to get lots right, arguably the harder things, and then really really obvious things wrong. As if JV wouldn't have made a massive difference today.

He also seems to have signed some great players, the latest looking like a real gem ...... but then hasn't addressed the obvious lack of striker options.

Let's hope the next 3 games "click" otherwise we're going to get some nerves coming into play.

26 minutes ago, Foxboy said:

Would happily lose Vardy and schmeichel if it means we get to keep Barnes, Maddison, Chilwell, Periera, Ndidi and potentially add Tielemans permanently in the summer.

We could do that anyway surely? Why not look to keep Vardy and Kasper too? Kasper is 32 and has years left ahead of him

Have bit my lip so much it’s starting to bleed

coukdnt fault Puel today other than maybe not starting with Vardy. I had a feeling tielsman would be the missing piece of the puzzle - quality player! Gray I really want to keep encouraging the lad but he has to become a goal scorer.  Needs to take a leaf out of rashford’s book. Young Barnes too played great but needs to not shoot at the keeper. HE should have buried his chances today.

im not even gonna talk about penalty another wasted chance to get back in the game.

were still making mistakes that are costly 

otherwise we totally outplayed spuds. I really do hate losing to them now more than any team. IF we can build on this and maintain confidence I say keep Puel. Next game we don’t play like today and win then we’re in trouble

• Like 1

From Sky Sports:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/11633843/leicester-manager-claude-puel-rues-missed-chances-in-spurs-defeat

------------------------

Leicester manager Claude Puel rued his side's lack of "clinical edge" during the 3-1 defeat to Tottenham at Wembley.

According to Opta, the Foxes had an Expected goals (Xg) metric of 3.1 compared to Spurs' 0.8 with the visitors having 20 shots during the encounter, but they were ultimately beaten by Mauricio Pochettino's title-chasing side.

They only had a Jamie Vardy strike to show for their efforts, as they slumped to a fifth game without a win on Super Sunday - their longest run in the division without recording three points since May last year.

Puel said: "If we found the clinical edge we would've won, so it's difficult. It's disappointing and again we are left with not a good feeling. We should've had the game between our hands with a lot of chances.

"We created a lot of good moves with a lot of good intentions and we didn't find good finishing. We had all the opportunities to win this game but we couldn't finish.

"It leaves me with mixed feelings as we showed good quality but I'm very aggrieved with all these chances we had."

Leicester the had the perfect opportunity to level from the penalty spot after Jan Vertonghen had brought down James Maddison on the hour-mark, but after introducing Vardy from the substitutes' bench, the forward saw his immediate spot-kick saved by Hugo Lloris.

Puel added: "I said to him he can take the penalty if he wants. I have nothing against Jamie since he arrived, and all the game we had a lot of chances, not just to take the draw but to win.

"I would like to see other options to Jamie also, and this was a good opportunity. Demarai [Gray's] pace gave us good situations on the counter-attack.

"We needed to have other options, and not just Jamie. It's difficult to just rely on him. With Kelechi [Iheanacho] too, we must have other options and like I say, I was happy with Demarai.

"I don't think another opponent has had as many chances as us away against Tottenham at Wembley. It was the same against Manchester United in the last game when I thought the draw was the minimum we deserved."

------------------------

Interesting to see he talked about Gray's pace on counter attacks given Vardy isn't exactly slow!

But to be honest this is one of the few times I agree with what he's said post-match. We made the chances to win the game outright, we just didn't take them. The first two goals were also silly to give away, but not the primary reason we lost today.

10 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Difficult to not see the positives today - we looked amazing going forward generally until we got to the point that it needed a finish - where our lack of striker was a glaring omission.

Claude seems to get lots right, arguably the harder things, and then really really obvious things wrong. As if JV wouldn't have made a massive difference today.

He also seems to have signed some great players, the latest looking like a real gem ...... but then hasn't addressed the obvious lack of striker options.

Let's hope the next 3 games "click" otherwise we're going to get some nerves coming into play.

I'm sure he's well aware of the striker issue, but he's had Ulloa, Musa, Slimani, Okazaki and Iheanacho handed to him. 

We have enough numbers, quality is the issue. He's continually trying to shift players to make room and come the summer a new striker will come in to take Okazaki's spot in the squad.

Lets not forget that Maddison has taken the spot of a striker, so he addressed that issue. 

I actually think he's been spot on in his assessment what players we need. It just takes time to get them in and shift others.

• Like 2

Obviously the question is should Vardy who has just come on and is our regular penalty taker take the immediate penalty or should he have let Maddison. A penalty is a lottery either way and Maddison had taken it and missed then fans would have said he should have let Vardy take it.

Fraustrating result, decent performance. 

If if the senior players don’t like Puel then what do we do swap managers again, this cycle since winning the leagues is just on repeat. Get a new manager, slight improvement, players dislike the manager, crap performance and then back to the start.

Whilst I’d prefer Vardy to play he also has to adapt, if he was dropped for abusing the manager that’s his own immature fault. As a senior player he should be setting an example to the younger players in the squad.  Puel is fraustrating but he is building something, phasing our Morgan seems to be an improvement and if we replicate the performance today we’ll pick up some points. Players like Kasper, Wes and Vardy have done a lot for us but if we keep pandering to them we’ll just repeat the same thing over and over again

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

From Sky Sports:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/11633843/leicester-manager-claude-puel-rues-missed-chances-in-spurs-defeat

------------------------

Leicester manager Claude Puel rued his side's lack of "clinical edge" during the 3-1 defeat to Tottenham at Wembley.

According to Opta, the Foxes had an Expected goals (Xg) metric of 3.1 compared to Spurs' 0.8 with the visitors having 20 shots during the encounter, but they were ultimately beaten by Mauricio Pochettino's title-chasing side.

They only had a Jamie Vardy strike to show for their efforts, as they slumped to a fifth game without a win on Super Sunday - their longest run in the division without recording three points since May last year.

Puel said: "If we found the clinical edge we would've won, so it's difficult. It's disappointing and again we are left with not a good feeling. We should've had the game between our hands with a lot of chances.

"We created a lot of good moves with a lot of good intentions and we didn't find good finishing. We had all the opportunities to win this game but we couldn't finish.

"It leaves me with mixed feelings as we showed good quality but I'm very aggrieved with all these chances we had."

Leicester the had the perfect opportunity to level from the penalty spot after Jan Vertonghen had brought down James Maddison on the hour-mark, but after introducing Vardy from the substitutes' bench, the forward saw his immediate spot-kick saved by Hugo Lloris.

Puel added: "I said to him he can take the penalty if he wants. I have nothing against Jamie since he arrived, and all the game we had a lot of chances, not just to take the draw but to win.

"I would like to see other options to Jamie also, and this was a good opportunity. Demarai [Gray's] pace gave us good situations on the counter-attack.

"We needed to have other options, and not just Jamie. It's difficult to just rely on him. With Kelechi [Iheanacho] too, we must have other options and like I say, I was happy with Demarai.

"I don't think another opponent has had as many chances as us away against Tottenham at Wembley. It was the same against Manchester United in the last game when I thought the draw was the minimum we deserved."

------------------------

Interesting to see he talked about Gray's pace on counter attacks given Vardy isn't exactly slow!

But to be honest this is one of the few times I agree with what he's said post-match. We made the chances to win the game outright, we just didn't take them. The first two goals were also silly to give away, but not the primary reason we lost today.

Vard's legs aren't what they were. He's now regularly offside as he tries to steal a yard that his pace used to mean he never had to. He will also look to make a pass where previously he'd use his pace. It's to be expected of a 32 year old.

Just now, Babylon said:

I'm sure he's well aware of the striker issue, but he's had Ulloa, Musa, Slimani, Okazaki and Iheanacho handed to him. 

We have enough numbers, quality is the issue. He's continually trying to shift players to make room and come the summer a new striker will come in to take Okazaki's spot in the squad.

Lets not forget that Maddison has taken the spot of a striker, so he addressed that issue. 

I actually think he's been spot on in his assessment what players we need. It just takes time to get them in and shift others.

I'd agree that he has addressed a lot of the obvious positions - CB /RB / AM ..... And strikers are the hardest to find ..... But if you really only have one decent striker and you've just signed a creative player that can finally find him then play them both.

3 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Obviously the question is should Vardy who has just come on and is our regular penalty taker take the immediate penalty or should he have let Maddison. A penalty is a lottery either way and Maddison had taken it and missed then fans would have said he should have let Vardy take it.

Did you see maddisons last 2 pens

Just now, Babylon said:

Vard's legs aren't what they were. He's now regularly offside as he tries to steal a yard that his pace used to mean he never had to. He will also look to make a pass where previously he'd use his pace. It's to be expected of a 32 year old.

Is that because he's lost pace, or because he's adapted his game though? I've always assumed he's done it to play more of the 1 up top role where you have to link up play instead of 15/16 style where he just ran into space. He's also scored a fair few goals using his pace on the counter attack, Chelsea and Everton away come to mind. In terms of pace being lost as you get older that's true, but Linford Christie won the 100m gold medal aged 32, so it can stay for a while!

To be honest Puel won't say it, but he probably dropped Vardy because he's been off form recently and missed gilt edges against Man United.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

His not your average 32 year old

Late starter

I think a lot of his "lack of pace" or slowing has to do with desire

Have you seen how quick he can still be when he chases someone down after losing the ball

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

I'd agree that he has addressed a lot of the obvious positions - CB /RB / AM ..... And strikers are the hardest to find ..... But if you really only have one decent striker and you've just signed a creative player that can finally find him then play them both.

I don't disagree, Id have played Vardy. 

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This is the first game in a long time where I don't actually feel it was Puel at fault, but the finishing of the players.

I really don’t get this sentiment today that Puel is completely faultless.

He has to shoulder some blame as he left out our top goal scorer with a proven track record against bigger teams (scored again today) for a winger who a) hasnt shown throughout his career so far anything to suggest he is a natural or consistent goalscorer and b) has been tried in this position several times to no effect.

It would have been more understanding if he was trying something new with Gray to see if he can unlock potential but its been tried and tested several times to no real success. I’d have even understood it he tried Nacho there to try and boost his confidence.

The end result we are sitting here and Puel is also lamenting the missed chances that the team didnt take. It was very encouraging to have them creating so many chances but when you handicap yourself by leaving the best striker we have on the bench you have to shoulder some blame. 

As i’ve said Puel got it 80% right today but football is a game of fine margins and you cant keep making as many tactical errors as Puel coupled with the awful run of results and expect to keep your job.

I’ll be very encouraged if in the next game he drops Ghezzal to the bench, puts Gray out right and starts Vardy up front with no other changes. 

We made the chances to win and if Vardy had started today then we probably would have won - saying that a good performance justifies playing your winger as a striker is plain nuts. We didn’t play well because gray was upfront - we played well in spite of him being there - it’s not fair to play him there and then criticise him for not being effective..... he isn’t a central striker. 

Im pissed off that having travelled all the way to Leicester and back on a work day in December to watch us impotent against them without an injured vards that I’ve taken my two youngsters today in the hope that we might see LCFC win at Wembley and the bloody manager has decided it’s a good idea to leave him on the bench ........ unforgivable. 

I havent been puel puel out up till this point but I’m struggling to see the point of keeping him now. It’s clear he is getting sacked in the summer and him hanging around is likely to affect the players relationship with the fans as the results continue to be poor. If we want the players to stay around and buy into the future here then we need the place to be happy and it’s unlikely to be so with puel in charge ...

• Like 1