Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SuperMike

Spurs Away Post Match 3-1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Is that because he's lost pace, or because he's adapted his game though? I've always assumed he's done it to play more of the 1 up top role where you have to link up play instead of 15/16 style where he just ran into space. He's also scored a fair few goals using his pace on the counter attack, Chelsea and Everton away come to mind. In terms of pace being lost as you get older that's true, but Linford Christie won the 100m gold medal aged 32, so it can stay for a while!

To be honest Puel won't say it, but he probably dropped Vardy because he's been off form recently and missed gilt edges against Man United.

Linford Christie was a drug cheat. Get Vardy on those PEDs.

He has lost pace and more than anything some stamina. He's very much conserving energy a lot compared to what he used to IMO. He was so quick that he's still pretty rapid, but I definitely see a different Vardy now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dames said:

I really don’t get this sentiment today that Puel is completely faultless.

He has to shoulder some blame as he left out our top goal scorer with a proven track record against bigger teams (scored again today) for a winger who a) hasnt shown throughout his career so far anything to suggest he is a natural or consistent goalscorer and b) has been tried in this position several times to no effect.

It would have been more understanding if he was trying something new with Gray to see if he can unlock potential but its been tried and tested several times to no real success. I’d have even understood it he tried Nacho there to try and boost his confidence.

The end result we are sitting here and Puel is also lamenting the missed chances that the team didnt take. It was very encouraging to have them creating so many chances but when you handicap yourself by leaving the best striker we have on the bench you have to shoulder some blame. 

As i’ve said Puel got it 80% right today but football is a game of fine margins and you cant keep making as many tactical errors as Puel coupled with the awful run of results and expect to keep your job.

I’ll be very encouraged if in the next game he drops Ghezzal to the bench, puts Gray out right and starts Vardy up front with no other changes. 

Agreed

Needs to take responsibility, was a bit of a **** up against a good team

Probably more to do with the knob head situation rather than an example of bold tactical nous  

image.png.4e7a89ad7a7846423a31eb6107c190ef.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Obviously the question is should Vardy who has just come on and is our regular penalty taker take the immediate penalty or should he have let Maddison. A penalty is a lottery either way and Maddison had taken it and missed then fans would have said he should have let Vardy take it.

if he had scored nothing would have been said but having his first kick of the game in that situation was a bit stupid I recon, Maddison probably should have just got on with it and got his confidence back.

Just now, Dames said:

I really don’t get this sentiment today that Puel is completely faultless.

He has to shoulder some blame as he left out our top goal scorer with a proven track record against bigger teams (scored again today) for a winger who a) hasnt shown throughout his career so far anything to suggest he is a natural or consistent goalscorer and b) has been tried in this position several times to no effect. 

It would have been more understanding if he was trying something new with Gray to see if he can unlock potential but its been tried and tested several times to no real success. I’d have even understood it he tried Nacho there to try and boost his confidence.

The end result we are sitting here and Puel is also lamenting the missed chances that the team didnt take. It was very encouraging to have them creating so many chances but when you handicap yourself by leaving the best striker we have on the bench you have to shoulder some blame. 

As i’ve said Puel got it 80% right today but football is a game of fine margins and you cant keep making as many tactical errors as Puel coupled with the awful run of results and expect to keep your job.

I’ll be very encouraged if in the next game he drops Ghezzal to the bench, puts Gray out right and starts Vardy up front with no other changes. 

This is true, but usually I feel the reason we lost mostly lies at Puels door. Today, I just don't feel like that, which is weird (I'm definitely in the Puel out camp). We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, there could be a rift between Vardy and Puel, none of us know.

I'm disappointed by the result, but we definitely played well today and it was down to our poor finishing that cost us, unlike in a lot of other games this season where we had a lot of possession but carved out very few clear cut chances.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Linford Christie was a drug cheat. Get Vardy on those PEDs.

lol

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He has lost pace and more than anything some stamina. He's very much conserving energy a lot compared to what he used to IMO. He was so quick that he's still pretty rapid, but I definitely see a different Vardy now.

Yes you are probably right. Still a great finisher though!

2 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

Could have been better if Vardy had played 90 min. But call the manager a knobhead in public and you spend some time on the bench. That's football. 

If that’s the reason then it should have been dealt with behind closed doors - it’s not a bloody school, it’s professional football... a lot of people have paid a lot of money to go and see their team win and the manager has let us down imo 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Vard's legs aren't what they were. He's now regularly offside as he tries to steal a yard that his pace used to mean he never had to. He will also look to make a pass where previously he'd use his pace. It's to be expected of a 32 year old.

Disagree. Not vardy lack of pace but a lack of quick thinking and releasing the ball forward early enough. When the pass is delayed once the striker has started to make his runame then he will invariably be offside. Today tieleman's was releasing the ball much quicker hence why we got in on goal. Vardy would have been in his element getting onto some of them.

• Like 1

No apologies, but I am furious! 

It's as if king Claude's game plan worked to perfection.

Start with no striker, have 3 on the bench and bring them all on. 

I said privately at the start of the season that we would struggle to score goals and this has been the case.

By all means change the way we are playing, by all means bring in the youth, however if you cannot score enough goals, more likely than not you will get beaten. You play to your strengths until you have another option in your kit bag, we do not have another option at this time. A striker who can score goals should be played to. 

There is no continuity in team selection or set up. Yes, we played well and I am not furious about the performance, what i am furious about is our managers bizarre tactics and his constant changing of the team, how we are going to create any cohesiveness is beyond me. Despite the "great performance" who would bet against there being at least 2 changes for the starting line up against palace! 

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Agreed

Probably more to do with the knob head situation rather than an example of bold tactical nous  

This sums up my criticism of Gray upfront, he drifts out wide too often!

You do have to do it as as a lone forward in a 4-2-3-1 because it makes space for the wide forwards, but too often he was not in position to receive a cut back from one of the forwards to score, which is what Vardy did do when he was on the pitch.

Here is Vardy's goal, a very nice team goal!

https://streamja.com/ArPd

He could learn it, but it won't be an overnight job.

Edited by StriderHiryu

Overall performance was good but it will drop against palace like it always does. We should have beaten Liverpool, utd and spurs if you go on what chances we had  we’ve needed a striker for over a year and the only decent one we have was started on the bench ffs. Not good enough from Puel the good run we was on hazma played he’s not had a sniff since 

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This is true, but usually I feel the reason we lost mostly lies at Puels door. Today, I just don't feel like that, which is weird (I'm definitely in the Puel out camp). We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, there could be a rift between Vardy and Puel, none of us know.

I'm disappointed by the result, but we definitely played well today and it was down to our poor finishing that cost us, unlike in a lot of other games this season where we had a lot of possession but carved out very few clear cut chances.

I hear you and its not just aimed at you loads of people have said it today and yours was the nearest and easiest to quote to make my point! 

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Agreed

Exactly this.

Seems as if Vardy was dropped for non footballing reasons which as a manager you have to take responsibility for when it backfires.

3 minutes ago, lanefox said:

And straight after this was shown he had a header in the 6 yard box

And not long after that he was subbed because he was ineffective in the role.

A header straight at the keeper does not justify the selection.

7 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

if he had scored nothing would have been said but having his first kick of the game in that situation was a bit stupid I recon, Maddison probably should have just got on with it and got his confidence back.

I've spotted a potential flaw in your argument.......

Edited by PaulW

That is an absolutely heartbreaking result. Our general approach play was superb, we've created an absolute raft of excellent opportunities and squandered the lot. If we had any kind of finishing ability or luck about us we'd have thrashed them into next week. Really like the look of Tielemans, his vision is going to help us create a lot more, and he is already linking up nicely with Maddison, Barnes, Chillwell, Ricardo, Gray and Wilf. Hopefully he will be able to thread some balls through to Vardy too, then we could really see us start to turn the corner.

We need to cut out some of these individual errors though, every week when we lose games it ultimately boils down to us handing the opposition a free goal down to an absolute clanger. Doesn't help that Spurs are the spawniest team around as well, if that second goal had been scored by us you can guarantee it would have been disallowed for Skipp's handball. **** me we need a bit of luck. Feels like every goal we score needs a herculean amount of effort, whilst the opposition seem to just get one shot off and their 1 up and free to shithouse their way to victory through timewasting. A jammy opener from us in a game could be massive if we get one soon, in terms of confidence.

Disappointed to see the team lose at Wembley today but managed to get myself back into a positive frame of mind when I realise how many chances we created and also how many more we will be creating with this young team in the near future.

We did though need to start with a focal point up front and, I'm afraid, that isn't Gray.

Think I also 'knew' that the pantomime moment of bringing Vardy on to immediately take the penalty was going to backfire. Mind you wasn't comfortable seeing Maddison with the ball under his arm either. Would like to see someone like Chilwell step up and be the regular taker.

21 minutes ago, astoriafox said:

No apologies, but I am furious! 

It's as if king Claude's game plan worked to perfection.

Start with no striker, have 3 on the bench and bring them all on. 

I said privately at the start of the season that we would struggle to score goals and this has been the case.

By all means change the way we are playing, by all means bring in the youth, however if you cannot score enough goals, more likely than not you will get beaten. You play to your strengths until you have another option in your kit bag, we do not have another option at this time. A striker who can score goals should be played to. 

There is no continuity in team selection or set up. Yes, we played well and I am not furious about the performance, what i am furious about is our managers bizarre tactics and his constant changing of the team, how we are going to create any cohesiveness is beyond me. Despite the "great performance" who would bet against there being at least 2 changes for the starting line up against palace! 

I wholeheartedly agree with you concerning the constant chopping and changing. The worrying thing is, you can’t see it changing. 

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If that’s the reason then it should have been dealt with behind closed doors - it’s not a bloody school, it’s professional football... a lot of people have paid a lot of money to go and see their team win and the manager has let us down imo 

Have you ever managed people? How is he ever going to maintain respect - regardless of his decision making - when dealing with a bunch of man-children in such a public high profile arena

3 minutes ago, kingston_fox said:

Have you ever managed people? How is he ever going to maintain respect - regardless of his decision making - when dealing with a bunch of man-children in such a public high profile arena

Or vardy could have kept his gob shut or done it behind closed doors....

It's great to see such positivity on this forum and, yes, the performance was much better. But when push comes to shove, we LOST. we lost to a pretty poor Spurs team - one which didn't really have to get out of first gear to beat us by 2 clear goals. Yes, we shoulda, coulda, woulda done better if we'd taken our chances but the manager decided to bench our one-and-only goalscorer. Loss after loss after loss - lets be honest: this manager has no idea on how to turn it around. He needs to go. NOW.