Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Puel Gone - Official

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Regarding "snakes" I think that's a topic with a lot of nuance to it. Leicester have traditionally been a Championship club, we've spent more years outside the top flight than in it. The year before we won the title we were bottom for months. Perhaps we have personalities that "have too much say" but those personalities were also the reason we won the title. Look at Spurs, great players but always bottle it. I'd argue that if we are going to achieve success again, we will need another strong dressing room as some of our best periods (MON era, Pearson era) seem to have strong personalities that are leaders on and off the pitch.

We have great young players, but none of them (yet) have leadership qualities, which I hope they will develop over time.

It's been reported many times that Pearson encouraged a spiky dressing room. The players motivated each other. The problem compounds itself once it comes down to two or three controlling things. Young players joining the England cricket team used to say how hard it was in the dressing room, trying to fit in. We are now a team filled with young players, many of which are still finding their feet with both the demands of the club and the P/L and you have to ask if there is a problem of those high influence players turning our younger players heads their way.

• Like 4

It was building and building and you could see the end coming. There needs to be a proper consensus as to what direction the club are going. Vardy and Kasper are two very high profile players who clearly fell out with Puel and did not like the possession based football favoured by Puel. Puel clearly wanted to change the playing style but the football ended up being ponderous and lethargic whearas the Leicester City team is all about quick football up to Vardy and attacking at pace. 

Interesting hearing Huth's comments having been in Puel training sessions and dressing rooms.

Former Leicester City defender Robert Huth says Claude Puel wasn't easy to work with: "We had managers before who were really energetic, positive vibes... when he came in it was pretty much the opposite. It was almost like he was working against the players."

its all been coming to a head for a while now tbh, i could see the direction he wanted to take the club ad giving us more strings to our bow with having a bit more possession, since as proven teams can easily find us out if we just play counter attack/rob and rush football, though in Puel's style we was still found out too

for me it was the right call, either way if he hadnt of gone today he'd been sacked at the end of the season, 

hopefully we'll get a player reaction on Tuesday night and on Wednesday the players will be called snakes:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Interesting hearing Huth's comments having been in Puel training sessions and dressing rooms.

Former Leicester City defender Robert Huth says Claude Puel wasn't easy to work with: "We had managers before who were really energetic, positive vibes... when he came in it was pretty much the opposite. It was almost like he was working against the players."

I would be interested to know why Ricardo was so keen to sign for Puel, why Maddison chose us over his publicized first choice, Southampton, and why Kasper, Vardy, Maguire Chilwell, N'Didi etc all signed very long contract extensions if they all hated Puel so much?

OK, I know they got a lot more money for signing, but they are all sort after players and could have chosen to leave if they were really unhappy with Puel, his football style or his long term plan.

Maybe Huth is still smarting from being fazed out by Puel? 

Only Huth knows.

2 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

I would be interested to know why Ricardo was so keen to sign for Puel, why Maddison chose us over his publicized first choice, Southampton, and why Kasper, Vardy, Maguire Chilwell, N'Didi etc all signed very long contract extensions if they all hated Puel so much?

OK, I know they got a lot more money for signing, but they are all sort after players and could have chosen to leave if they were really unhappy with Puel, his football style or his long term plan.

Only Huth knows.

Ricardo signed because he knew Puel from before and knew he would be guaranteed a starting place in a PL team.

Maddison signed because we were nearer to Coventry and it was important to him that he was close to family.

The rest signed contract extensions because they believed in the owners’ long term plans for the club and knew they would outlast managers who come and go.

I’m not sure how many of Puel’s training sessions Huth actually attended, he was injured for most of it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Only Huth knows.

My thoughts exactly. 

22 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Regarding "snakes" I think that's a topic with a lot of nuance to it. Leicester have traditionally been a Championship club, we've spent more years outside the top flight than in it. The year before we won the title we were bottom for months. Perhaps we have personalities that "have too much say" but those personalities were also the reason we won the title. Look at Spurs, great players but always bottle it. I'd argue that if we are going to achieve success again, we will need another strong dressing room as some of our best periods (MON era, Pearson era) seem to have strong personalities that are leaders on and off the pitch.

We have great young players, but none of them (yet) have leadership qualities, which I hope they will develop over time.

Since 1894 that is true, however, since 1954 when I started following the club that's not correct. In the last 65 years we have been in the top flight for 40 years and 25 at a lower level.

Even since 1990 they have been in the top flight by 15 to 14

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Shit decision. If you’ve have a manager who’s willing to persue a policy of bringing through youth players which means you are building a team for 2-3 years down the line, you don’t get rid just because of a bad run and some discontent fans. Short sighted. You expect to have a couple of bad seasons and as long as you stay in the prem, which we will, then there’s not a problem. So what next, reset and start a new policy of getting rid of the youth or continue as we are, but managerless

But there’s a difference between playing young players and developing them. 

I mean Ndidi, Gray, Iheanacho are all young players...and they’ve all regressed/stalled under Puel. 

Also...this isn’t a fashionable argument, but I think part of the problem has been that Puel has been willing to play too many young players at the same time. 

Take yesterday - our midfield players were  21, 22, 21, 22, 26...all of them (apart from Ndidi) playing their first season in the PL.

I think promoting youth is great but it’s a tough division and at the same time you do need a bit of experience in there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Only Huth knows.

The players would have known the manager was unlikely to last beyond the summer 

why would they turn down long well paid contracts?  They aren’t looking to become free agents and run down their deals. Leaving for where?  Would they play every week?  

maguire signed to get more dosh and I believe was told he could leave next summer if an acceptable bid is made

Kasper signed cos no one else offered him a better deal at a better club 

Ricardo may have come because he knew puel but more likely because we offered him a great deal 

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Can you? They are all, down to a man, average premier league players. Some of them not even that.

It's fine. It's what we are now.

Average being mid table is a fair comment. I think overall we have an average premier league squad, we have good players with strengths and weaknesses. The issue we have had under Puel is he doesn’t seem to tailor the tactics for our strengths and weaknesses. We saw at the World Cup how effective Maguire is in a back 3. Morgan and Evans are both no nonsense defenders who are not that comfortable in possession. Chilwell and Ricardo are great attacking full backs but their inexperience leaves us exposed. I’m not saying abandon your philosophy but when you have the players that so clearly suit 3/5 at the back and your back 4 are regularly conceding goals then at least give it a go. An average back 4 could become a really good back 5. Same with the midfield Ndidi is fantastic at recovering the ball but his passing leaves a lot to be desired. Mendy is a tidy player but lacks creativity. When pairing them together fails time and time again try something different put more creativity in there, Silva, Maddison, Iborra, or change the formation so they are not so easy to isolate and force backwards/into a mistake. The forwards we have Vardy who has proven time and again how good he is when he gets the ball early. Albrighton is one of the hardest working players in the league but not the best at controlling possession, similar Okazaki. 3 players made for a high press, Barnes and Gray like to run with the ball get forwards quickly and we have shown how effective we still are on the counter attack this season.

We have a good Premier league squad that if managed correctly and playing to their strengths should be challenging for cups and the last Europa league spot and be snapping on the heels of the top six. If managed poorly the nature and quality of the premier league means weaknesses are targeted and exposed ruthlessly even by relegation threatened teams. 

8 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

I can't see the point in the bile personally but each to their own.

To me the vital thing now is we get a strong manager who won't let the tail wag the dog.

As usual matey, spot on.

We need someone who can rule over the squad. Not vice versa

I believe Puel tried to do this actually. Dropping Simpson, Vardy, Albrighton etc

He just didn’t have the Gladstone Smalls to do it. I believe the players didn’t like him sufficiently to accept his ‘plan’

But I’m only surmising

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Only Huth knows.

Huth really wasn't fazed out by Puel, he was injured the last year of his contract & it was obvious he wouldn't be renewed.

Huth aint exactly Mr Subtle. If he had something to say about Puel he would say it.

No hidden agendas with Robert Huth. 

3 hours ago, Cultersheeo said:

Large majority of you guys are delusional.

Stevie Wonder could see that Puel was really building something with Leicester. Bringing through exciting young players whilst slowly replacing the aging ones. It takes time to build a team, and it can be hard to have consistency with kids,  but given everything that has happened this season it is farcical to expect you to be in a better position than you are currently.

Also, Rafa? You can't be serious. There is not a chance he will go to Leicester. 

I really want to like Leicester, but the insanely entitled views of you guys makes it difficult.

Bullshit. Anybody could have played all these young players, it cant simply be that by doing so he is advocated of any criticism or measured on results. Do you think it's his idea to play all these young players or it might be a shared club vision and they selected someone with a track record of doing so?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Only Huth knows.

Maddison was always going to come to us, it was ideal for him. The Southampton reports that they'd had a bid accepted were wide of the mark. He was obviously influential in getting us Ricardo though.

None of the players who signed lengthy new deals on big bunce had been aggressively courted by other clubs though, so why wouldn't you take the extra guaranteed money? Plus, players know managers last on a few years at best when things are grim. 

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

You know what?

I actually think this has potential to be a mistake. Sacking him now and not in the summer has the potential to ruin the development of our youngsters and stall our transition of playstyle if we appoint the wrong caretaker. 

The toxicity of keeping him, both with the staff and fans was a bigger risk ......

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

You know what?

I actually think this has potential to be a mistake. Sacking him now and not in the summer has the potential to ruin the development of our youngsters and stall our transition of playstyle if we appoint the wrong caretaker. 

How?

Where was the next result coming from? This isnt us binning him whilst we were still in the top half, like a lot of fans wanted earlier in the season. This has been taken because we are getting worse. We still cant ever score first both home and away and we now have lost our defensive stability that Puel had managed to finally get. We have such a soft underbelly and we have zero end product.

It's as bad as it can get right now, it either stays the same in a new temporary regime and we potentially get dragged in to a relegation fight, or they get a temporary lift and the shackles comes off for a bit. Either way, Puel was on his way in the near future. It's a shame he couldbt evoke an upturn but this young team seem obliterated of confidence and grit. Theres no guile or leadership.

• Like 1

Happy, yet also nervous - we have to get it right next time.

I like his vision of developing youth, and most importantly it fit in with the clubs vision too. However when those very same players that you are meant to be developing are getting progressively worse and seemingly losing confidence, then its clearly not going to work long term. I know Ben Chilwell has come on a lot this season, but in contrast we have seen Ndidi very much regress, Gray not really develop at all, and Maddison dropping in confidence (he really wasn't that bad at corners before). Whilst he was praised for playing Chilwell, at the same time he's not played Hamza anywhere near as much as he should have done. 

Just saw the post below. I forgot about poor Nacho. Puel has so misused him this year and his faith in his own ability is just shot. He can't play as a loan striker, especially bringing him on at the end of the match when the game is really stretched and we need someone with a bit more pace up front. 

Edited by rachhere
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

But there’s a difference between playing young players and developing them. 

I mean Ndidi, Gray, Iheanacho are all young players...and they’ve all regressed/stalled under Puel. 

Also...this isn’t a fashionable argument, but I think part of the problem has been that Puel has been willing to play too many young players at the same time. 

Take yesterday - our midfield players were  21, 22, 21, 22, 26...all of them (apart from Ndidi) playing their first season in the PL.

I think promoting youth is great but it’s a tough division and at the same time you do need a bit of experience in there. 

Fully agree, especially with Ndidi he looks a player whose confidence is shot, he has been left exposed by Puel’s formation and tactics and gone from being one of our best players to our worst.

I said in another thread weeks ago about how when Pearson was bringing trough all those young players and we had the likes of Moore, Wood, Marshall, Drinkwater, James, De Laet, Knockaert, Kane, Keane, Lingard, Schlupp, Waghorn and Vardy(older but inexperienced) in 2012/13 we fell of massively and had a long run of shit results. Pearson responses the following season by signing GTF, Wasilewski, Phillips and Dean Hammond. 

Youth is great I'm all for promoting youth but you also need to protect them.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

The toxicity of keeping him, both with the staff and fans was a bigger risk ......

... What's going to happen? Our hooligans set fire to Puel's house? It's not like toxicity will lift for certain anyway - the incoming caretaker messes a few up on the trot and we're back to square 1.

As for the staff, if they're unprofessional enough to let their personal opinion of our manager get in the way of their job then they need the bin too.

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

As usual matey, spot on.

We need someone who can rule over the squad. Not vice versa

I believe Puel tried to do this actually. Dropping Simpson, Vardy, Albrighton etc

He just didn’t have the Gladstone Smalls to do it. I believe the players didn’t like him sufficiently to accept his ‘plan’

But I’m only surmising

Me too mate, there does seem to be a repetitive rumour of player revolt/unrest and far too much smoke not to equal fire. We do need a bloody strong manager imo though.

Edited by Bluetintedspecs

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

How?

Where was the next result coming from? This isnt us binning him whilst we were still in the top half, like a lot of fans wanted earlier in the season. This has been taken because we are getting worse. We still cant ever score first both home and away and we now have lost our defensive stability that Puel had managed to finally get. We have such a soft underbelly and we have zero end product.

It's as bad as it can get right now, it either stays the same in a new temporary regime and we potentially get dragged in to a relegation fight, or they get a temporary lift and the shackles comes off for a bit. Wither way, Puel was on his way in the near future. It's a shame he couldbt evoke an upturn but this young team seem obliterated of confidence and grit. Theres no guile or leadership.

Can everyone kindly stop talking about relegation. We are as close to 7th as we are to relegation. As for the next result, under Puel it's been like this, long periods of weird form. I'm sure he would have picked up at least the 6 points necessary to be safe, and to be honest he probably would have got more.