Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Puel Gone - Official

I hope who ever comes in can will change the anciiliary coaches and recruitment. These parts of the regime cannot be absolved of what has happened this season on the pitch, unless they are purely ‘Yes’ men.  If they are just this, then changes are badly needed. Just removing  Puel will not be the answer.

3 minutes ago, brucey said:

Stories coming out slowly

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/24/leicester-city-sack-claude-puel-target-brendan-rodgers-summer/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Puel has also battled against unrest in the dressing room since the beginning of last year, with his relationship with Vardy particularly fractious. In December Vardy admitted Puel’s slow, possession-based style of play did not suit him while he was furious after this month’s 1-0 defeat to Manchester United when the Frenchman was caught on camera chatting to Paul Pogba. He punched a door in the dressing room after Saturday’s defeat, following another game where he was ineffective under Puel’s tactics.

There have been other big issues, such as Puel's alleged refusal to communicate with staff and players, the constant chopping and changing of his team without explanation and even his hardline approach with young players. Coaching staff and players were frequently ignored when they attempted to make points about amending the training regime.

Puel is also believed to have frozen Jon Rudkin, the director of football, out of meetings in recent weeks while his treatment of £22m signing Adrien Silva – a popular member of the dressing room – bewildered the first-team squad.

Ignoring all the above, mess with big man Rudders, and you're on borrowed time. (Sad but true)

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Ignoring all the above, mess with big man Rudders, and you're on borrowed time. (Sad but true)

I suspect this shows he was attempting  to accelerate his demise ....... it can’t be much fun to be a ‘dead man walking’ and getting himself sacked does leave a ‘pretty penny’ in the bank account ........

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I suspect this shows he was attempting  to accelerate his demise ....... it can’t be much fun to be a ‘dead man walking’ and getting himself sacked does leave a ‘pretty penny’ in the bank account ........

Hmmmm, possibly overestimating the amount people respect Rudkin within the club. Much as I think Puel was inflexible and stuck in a time warp, his commitment to succeeding here was never in doubt IMO.

Absolutely the right decision.  For me we should be doing everything we can to get Howe in although I suspect he will hold out for something bigger in the summer.

Side note, been amazed at how little coverage this has gotten in the mainstream media.  Says a lot about his impact with the football press.

It amazes me, but doesn’t surprise me (given she’s a woman) The lack of a mention Susan ever gets in the press with these “decision makers” articles post sacking.... given that she’s literally the decision maker lol 

I feel like we even tried to give the press a clue when she was involved in the Claudio unveiling so heavily. 

Yes she might not make ALL footballing decisions, but when there’s thousands of tickets left for our midweek game and the fans are shouting “get him out” mid game at the weekend you can be sure as hell that it quickly becomes a business decision, and she makes those ruthlessly and often correctly. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-6740509/amp/Leicester-make-Brendan-Rodgers-target-replace-sacked-manager-Claude-Puel.html?__twitter_impression=true

Puel has been lauded for bringing through young players, but his decisions to drop some without explanation is alleged to have drained confidence. Kelechi Iheanacho was said to have been visibly upset at a rare outburst from Puel after a recent match.

Appointing an interim manager is possible, with former assistant Michael Appleton one option.

Former Celtic defender David Moyes is a contender for the Parkhead job if Rodgers leaves. 

Freezing out creative players like Silva for donkeys like Hamza C (albeit a solid defensive player) was crazy. Stoppers are two a penny. Creativ players are very difficult to find. Youth is great, but discarding proven players, Puel deserves to lose his job. In my 66 years watching city, maybe one worst manager, Frank McLintock. Would put Petef Taylor above him!!!  

Puel clearly didn't give a poo about the fans, sacrificing three cup quarter finals - he should have gone 12 months ago. I wager nearly every foxestalk member would have done a better job and had more points. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoyJones said:

Freezing out creative players like Silva for donkeys like Hamza C (albeit a solid defensive player) was crazy. Stoppers are two a penny. Creativ players are very difficult to find. Youth is great, but discarding proven players, Puel deserves to lose his job. In my 66 years watching city, maybe one worst manager, Frank McLintock. Would put Petef Taylor above him!!!  

Puel clearly didn't give a poo about the fans, sacrificing three cup quarter finals - he should have gone 12 months ago. I wager nearly every foxestalk member would have done a better job and had more points. 

To be fair we have had some pretty terrible managers. Spot on with the cup, that really grated.  We should be having a go in the cups.

7 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I didnt want to get rid of Puel, but cant have it both ways. All season my thoughts were "its a results business" whilst we were competing in the table. Getting beat by 3 goals at home to Palace on top of the other results at home is not getting the results and its clear things arent right and the sacking was inevitable.

But what happens next im not so sure about. I dont see the new manager bounce being as effective as it was under Shakespeare and this could go either way, could pile even more pressure on the players.

I think our problems go a lot further than Puel, but I hope he is more to blame than I think, still potential for things to go south here

Very much a case of deja vu for Puel here after his similar treatment at Southampton but it was clearly not working....and it was only going to go backwards I feel, especially as the players seemingly were no longer motivated by him - that's if they ever were! - or indeed playing to their strengths under his ever changing formations and/or sometimes bewildering tactics.

I'm not going to completely rubbish Puel here as it was clear that he tried to do some good here with his close summer recruitment and bringing young players through in the way he did during his tenure - including most recently the re-introduction of Harvey Barnes to the front line. However the timing of that decision now starts to look questionable......as does the recent exchange of the 'ill fated since day one' Adrien Silva for Tielemans - something which seemed like a shrewd move but that was before I was privy to his supposed mistreatment of Silva throughout the season until his recent departure to Monaco.

His end of time here after yesterday's defeat was 80% likely all the same, regardless of the harsh nature of his sacking at Southampton before us and regardless of what he's done here - including the dignity showed after the helicopter tragedy involving Vichai and the others of course....then to the finer detail such as the first goal being a deflection and other such detail that set us on our way to defeat to Palace yesterday....but as it's a results business of course, more so than ever nowadays, then that was it. Managers who would've been given 3-4 years for doing what Puel has/had with us, have now had their time effectively halved over the last 10 years or so in this 'trigger happy' day and age. I'm not saying he would've gone on to do what Fergie did at Man. Utd had he been allowed to stay for another couple of seasons (as times are very different in football these days compared to Fergie' s well documented dodgy 1986-1990 spell) as he didn't have the charisma to start with, amongst lacking in other crucial things too....still, never a dull moment - although perhaps the past 18 months under Puel mostly were!!

Edited by Guy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Same. Whilst something clearly wasn't clicking, he's built a good young squad that with the right guidance could be excellent in 2-3 seasons time.

My greatest fear is we'll bring someone in who will tear that apart.

Do you have any understanding at all of how modern football works? 2-3 seasons is a lifetime for players to hang around in mid table (at best) while a team is assembled around them..we will get massive offers from massive clubs for Chilwell, Maguire, maybe Maddison, possibly Pereira, Choudhury and Schmeichel too in the summer.. Is your plea for them to stay really, that in 2022 we will have a great side? Season on season there has to be forwards momentum which is why going all out to win a Cup - we’ve proven we can beat anyone on our day - was a sensible strategy. Otherwise we turn out like Southampton- Mane, Lallana, Van Dijk, Bale, Walcott, Wanyama, Shaw, Clyne, the basis of a great side but sadly for Saints not one of them us still at the club ..

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what any new manager does differently. We have not been awful in general play (finishing and defensive lapses have let us down) and even on Saturday after we scored the equaliser it would not have been too surprising from that point if the final result had been reversed. We were hit with a penalty and two sucker punches. Puel has largely got around to our best side in most eyes and made some bold decisions that most fans would have wanted during his spell including installing Chilwell, giving game time to Gray, dropping Morgan and giving Barnes a run. We have not kept players in the team/squad just because they won the league or cost big money - see Simpson, King, Fuchs, Slimani, Silva, Musaffah etc. We’ve been dominating possession and had 40+ goal attempts in the last two games. The recent spell of results has been unacceptable, but I recall Pearson having a couple of shocking runs results-wise in the Championship and obviously a big chunk of the great escape season. 

All in all, while not sad or shocked that he has gone, I’m not quite sure what a sacking at this point achieves. Are we expecting to turn it around and challenge for Europe? Surely we have enough in the bank to avoid relegation and I don’t think it’s as toxic a situation as late Mourinho-era Man Utd, so unless our top target is more available now than he might be in the summer I’d have avoided the drama of yet another mid-season sacking. If we don’t get a permanent, we risk keeping inexperienced coaches in the job for too long than is good for them or us. Or we appoint a temporary manager - but how does that help? Will the players play for someone who won’t be around after May? If they do, we have the Shakespeare situation again where we almost feel we have to give him the job. If they don’t, we will finish the season bottom half and be that much less attractive with two managers having failed to do anything with this squad. 

Maybe that’s all too negative, we have a Messiah lined up to take over this week who will lead us on a Solskjaer-type run through to the end of the season and qualification for the Europa League. I’d love it, but it seems unlikely to me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brucey said:

Stories coming out slowly

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/24/leicester-city-sack-claude-puel-target-brendan-rodgers-summer/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Puel has also battled against unrest in the dressing room since the beginning of last year, with his relationship with Vardy particularly fractious. In December Vardy admitted Puel’s slow, possession-based style of play did not suit him while he was furious after this month’s 1-0 defeat to Manchester United when the Frenchman was caught on camera chatting to Paul Pogba. He punched a door in the dressing room after Saturday’s defeat, following another game where he was ineffective under Puel’s tactics.

There have been other big issues, such as Puel's alleged refusal to communicate with staff and players, the constant chopping and changing of his team without explanation and even his hardline approach with young players. Coaching staff and players were frequently ignored when they attempted to make points about amending the training regime.

Puel is also believed to have frozen Jon Rudkin, the director of football, out of meetings in recent weeks while his treatment of £22m signing Adrien Silva – a popular member of the dressing room – bewildered the first-team squad.

This wasnt just recently. He always did.

Rudkin was also baffled by Silva's treatment, James' selection and various other things.....but was actually very supportive of Puel.

4 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Rudkin was also baffled by Silva's treatment, James' selection and various other things.....but was actually very supportive of Puel.

Did Ruskin have involvement in Puel’s initial selection? If so, it’s hardly surprising he was supportive of him.

But seems baffling Puel would then distance one of his supporters

Edited by Dahnsouff

3 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

Do you have any understanding at all of how modern football works? 2-3 seasons is a lifetime for players to hang around in mid table (at best) while a team is assembled around them..we will get massive offers from massive clubs for Chilwell, Maguire, maybe Maddison, possibly Pereira, Choudhury and Schmeichel too in the summer.. Is your plea for them to stay really, that in 2022 we will have a great side? Season on season there has to be forwards momentum which is why going all out to win a Cup - we’ve proven we can beat anyone on our day - was a sensible strategy. Otherwise we turn out like Southampton- Mane, Lallana, Van Dijk, Bale, Walcott, Wanyama, Shaw, Clyne, the basis of a great side but sadly for Saints not one of them us still at the club ..

Yes, because I'm not a fricking moron.

You on the other hand have just said that we have to accept that big clubs will come and take our best young players and we shouldn't be like Southampton, selling our best young players.

:unsure:

8 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Did Ruskin have involvement in Puel’s initial selection? If so, it’s hardly surprising he was supportive of him.

But seems baffling Puel would then distance one of his supporters

Maybe he attended early on but insisted on being able to understand what was going on ........   made the meetings last three days so was excluded thereafter whilst everyone else just kept nodding ......    

humour btw .......

6 hours ago, AjcW said:

It amazes me, but doesn’t surprise me (given she’s a woman) The lack of a mention Susan ever gets in the press with these “decision makers” articles post sacking.... given that she’s literally the decision maker lol 

I feel like we even tried to give the press a clue when she was involved in the Claudio unveiling so heavily. 

Yes she might not make ALL footballing decisions, but when there’s thousands of tickets left for our midweek game and the fans are shouting “get him out” mid game at the weekend you can be sure as hell that it quickly becomes a business decision, and she makes those ruthlessly and often correctly. 

There were a few turning around and gesticulating at her and Rudders in the directors box from the area behind the dugouts after goals two etc went in. That’s uncomfortable and I imagine their thoughts were how that would play out if top had been sitting there. 

However, she is quite savvy. I was spoken to on my way out - ‘see you tuesday’ and I answered .....’you know what, I can’t justify leaving work at three o clock and getting home at midnight to watch this stuff’.  Now I expect I wasn’t the only one offering these sentiments and given the area where I sit, if there were these kind of noises from plenty more than me ( I’m pretty sure she speaks to many of the staff to ask them about things ) and she was made aware of that then perhaps it became a simple business decision that became the straw .........

limping on until the summer with a few wins sprinkled about and a terrible atmosphere could make it much tougher come renewal time ......

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I hope who ever comes in can will change the anciiliary coaches and recruitment. These parts of the regime cannot be absolved of what has happened this season on the pitch, unless they are purely ‘Yes’ men.  If they are just this, then changes are badly needed. Just removing  Puel will not be the answer.

You may have a point regarding the coaches, particularly Schmeichel 's. I'm a bit puzzled regarding recruitment though as it's already changed direction and appears good. Maguire , Ricardo , Evans, Maddison, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Tielemens all seem sound for a team of our size.

Edited by volpeazzurro

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

You may have a point regarding the coaches, particularly Schmeichel 's. I'm a bit puzzled regarding recruitment though as it's already changed direction and appears good. Maguire , Ricardo , Evans, Maddison, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Tielemens all seem sound for a team of our size.

Valid points about recruitment and perhaps I was aiming this at the failure on the striker front.  You are correct, it has improved after 3 costly mistakes and I suspect the lack of cash going forward will make us more frugal anyway.  But we need to be scouring the less scouted leagues again as we did 4 years ago with tremendous success.