Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Puel Gone - Official

21 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

THERE IS A GOD. weekend redeemed. Au revoir, thanks for nothing

11 minutes ago, Robin JD Popley said:

I was in Church when the news came through after our Morning Service. Praise the Lord!

Eh up, it's all gone a bit supernatural. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Well, that was disappointing.

Hopefully in a few years history will look kindly on his efforts laying a foundation for our next manager. Unless we continue to sack away.

Erm what foundations? Everything at the club has already been built. The youth policy wouldn’t have been entirely down to Puel.

Pearson built foundations. Puel has built f*** all.

• Like 1

Ah well, can’t complain at the decision given results and I completely respect Top’s conclusion.

But, no more excuses boys and girls when we still struggle against teams set up to defend. 

No Puel to blame for Vardy ineffective without space to run into, or Maddison turning corners into opposition assists, or Maguire defending poorly, or Kasper struggling to save balls hit straight at him.

Yes, we usually get a new manager bounce, but I’m not sure all our problems will disappear with a new manager over time. 

Of course, Puel had to go, but I think this group of players are massively overrated by some of our fans who think we should win every game outside the top 6 and even push them hard. 

• Like 4

It’s true he lacked a connection and fans never sang his name. I still maintain he would’ve made a good director of football. He’s a planner and administrator not a leader and motivator. Hence, he’s helped develop many great young players (Pearson did not) but couldn’t mould or inspire them or indeed, the rest of us.

Once again he made the classic mistake of playing a weakened team in the cups. It doesn’t rest the players as they don’t come back fresher, but a defeat, especially against lower ranked opposition, can severely damage confidence. Newport was the real turning point for him as we’d had a good Christmas and we’re on the up only for him to consign is to an ignominious defeat unnecessarily.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sdb said:

Mixed feelings but more because I'm unsure what our next steps will be. 

I'm hopeful that I can start going to games with a sense of excitement and anticipation again. 

Claudio, Shakespeare, puel does it matter, the players will play well for a few weeks, then under perform and then repeat.

Puel is by no way blameless in his down fall, but we don’t know what has been going on behind the scenes for him to not play players like vardy for example 

58 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

The players should hang their heads in shame.  Puel wasn't perfect but he was being let down by people he trusted. 

You honestly can't say that they didn't play for him. There was obviously some bad blood between Puel and Vardy, maybe Kasper too but I think that most of the team believed in what he was trying to do. Making stupid mistakes, switching off at the worst moment yes but deliberately downing the tools, no.

I still can't work out how we lost yesterday with that score at that. We couldn't ask for a better XI (there isn't) but it still wasn't ebough. Too naive, not clinical enough and Palace had an easy job after they scored their first. Credit to them, they played very well and knew how to control us. 

It was ironically only his second game with the team he wished for and there was more than enough promises based on what I saw. If he had at the beginning of the season the outcome might have been different. But the timing was wrong, he had to win yesterday, no matter what, and even then it would only have had delayed the inevitable. You can't allow yourself to not win at for two months without facing some serious consequences. 

His successor will reap what he sowed. 

• Like 2

a bit disappointed with it.

im not saying he should or shouldn't of been sacked but not many  clubs have had great improvement after sacking their manager.

he was always looking at the future for the club so he should be treated a bit better than he is/has.

I hope we dont go back to playing rebound football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I would beg to differ on that!

Even some of the younger players privately moaned about him.

People of course will believe what they want to believe.

Name some names? What annoyed the young players? I'd have thought he'd be their best bud.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, womp said:

a bit disappointed with it.

im not saying he should or shouldn't of been sacked but not many  clubs have had great improvement after sacking their manager.

he was always looking at the future for the club so he should be treated a bit better than he is/has.

I hope we dont go back to playing rebound football.

Agree with this. I have no particular opinion either way on his sacking, depends on what the plans are moving forward, but this is not like Ranieri where a manager bounce and reverting to the old ways will necessarily work for the rest of the season

Cant guess how things will go from here. Puel whilst perhaps a big issue with us was far from the only issue

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Dude...

Puel tried to do some good things...  but his lack of inspirational leadership skills..his poor tactical ability in games and his belief in ghezzel and nacho have cost him his job.  He will now have time to reflect on this

Our problem has been, and is a lack of quality outside the starting XI. If Vardy is ineffective, who does a manager bring on in place of him? Okazaki or Iheanacho? It's no surprise he tried to make Gray a striker.

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I would beg to differ on that!

Even some of the younger players privately moaned about him.

People of course will believe what they want to believe.

I can only formulate my opinion based on what I see on the pitch and it's hard for me to imagine the young players, who'd certainly never had that much of game time and opportunities with a more conservative manager, moan about him.

However you certainly have more knowledge about that than I do, so I'll take your word for it.

Personally, I'd have been inclined to persevere longer with Puel as he was building something good, even if the wheels have come off recently - and spectacularly yesterday.

But I can see the arguments for him going - he was bound to be at risk having alienated many fans (rightly or wrongly) with his playing style & Cup team selections, having gone on a long losing run - and then crowning it with a 1-4 capitulation at home to Palace.

Funny how little things have a big impact in football, though. What if Palace hadn't got lucky with that deflected opening goal yesterday? What if our defence hadn't suffered a short-circuit and left Zaha alone for their second?

Although we didn't make their keeper work hard yesterday, we were good in possession - and creating openings....but didn't take them.

Would Puel have been sacked if we'd won yesterday? Probably not. Maybe he'd have still gone by summer, but maybe not, if we'd gone on a decent run.

We may yet have cause to thank Puel for some of the good work he's done while he's been here - teaching us different ways to play football, developing a lot of highly promising young players etc. With a few tweaks and limited additions, 2019-2020 could yet be a very good season.....if we make a good appointment.

Ah, well! The King is dead, long live the King (whoever he proves to be)!  :thumbup:

• Like 3