Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Puel Gone - Official

3 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

I wasn't keen on the Puel appointment when it was initially made but I warmed to him a lot over the opening months of tenure. I liked what he was trying to do and I think he has played a role in taking the club forwards though it might not feel like it. He had the right ideas and has put together the nucleus of a very strong squad. Totally agree with the 'right plan, wrong man' notion and think he has transitioned us to a point that the next manager inherits something far stronger than he did himself. 

For every asset he had, he possessed a noticeable defect. We have had a torrid 2019. After the Everton away game and a positive Christmas I was hopeful, and after good performances against Liverpool, United and Spurs I was hopeful again. But the Palace defeat was inexcusable. You can't lose 4-1 at home to Palace when you're on the brink. It's been too many home defeats and bore draws to the likes of Newcastle, Southampton, West Ham, Stoke and Cardiff that have cost him. Too often he'd set up well and make bizarre substitutions or set up poorly and make good subs. Never found the right balance or a favoured 11 - ultimately the maker of his own downfall. 

It's not worked out for him or us and we taking our separate roads. I wish him all the best for the future.

I was the opposite, I was one of a few on here who thought he wasnt a bad appointment but this last 9-12 months he's been off his pickle.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I was the opposite, I was one of a few on here who thought he wasnt a bad appointment but this last 9-12 months he's been off his pickle.

Yeah it's interesting to see how some people's opinions have swayed. He's been total marmite throughout which isn't ever a brilliant sign. At the start I based my opinion purely off a few Southampton games I'd seen on TV and their fans opinion and wasn't keen because of the 'boring football' stigma that came with it but I liked how there were visible improvements in areas throughout his tenure (e.g. fullbacks). We'd reached a point where, Puel in or out, something had to give. 

15 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

I have avoided Foxestalk for the last 24 hours. This place can be quite toxic moments after a sacking. The dust has settled now so I presume its safe to come on here lol 

I'm not happy or sad to see Puel go. It's a real shame it hasn't quite worked for him as the way our squad looks at the moment with the fresh young players getting plenty of opportunities bodes well for the future. I was happy to see how this project developed over the next few seasons. I was only thinking of removing Puel if we were genuine relegation contenders (which I still do not believe we are, there is enough in the squad to win matches)

Puel has done ok for us, we needed to look into another way of playing and he has put the foundations down for that. This squad could do good things I believe that.

My main worry is that our young squad will disappear with a new manager, Hope not.

So who next?  I'm not totally against Rafa as the Newcastle side in the Championship played some good football. I'm not sure our players would suit Rafa's style and to disband this squad now would be a shame.

Brendan Rodgers, I can see that work. That Liverpool team should have won the title and they played some amazing football.

I heard a lad suggest Moyes yesterday, ughhhhh.

Hughes ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Allardyce ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

My god it looks grim. I would much rather look at someone like Chris Wilder than the usual regurgitated names. Sheff Utd look a good outfit at the moment.

Lets see what happens 

I very much doubt somebody like Chris Wilder would even be considered, let alone approached by our powers that be as manager potential : as they generally appoint left field style as we know - Ranieri, Puel....! - and even in the unlikely event that he was approached I doubt that he'd come here unless maybe Sheffield Utd failed to get promotion but a bit like Micky Adams, then as the Blades are 'his' team through and through then he remains a highly unlikely candidate even if approached....Rafa or Rogers seem to be the obvious ones for next season but "anything could happen"....

Hi everyone ! French Fan (in piece if this need to mentionned)

2 questions that comes to many people's mind here = 

While we can understand the frustration of the fans because of dispointeing results... We found the fans really full of hate towards PUEL who is seen a very discreet, howver very respectul guy here ijn France

So my Question is : Why ? Is it down to communication or what else ? 

Many newspaper praised the football played by Leicester the last few games, even if the results were poor ... don't you think TOP should have waited end of season as PUEL would have at least kept the team in EPl... now you face the unknown ...

To end, I would like to express how respected your club is in France... Everyone enjoyed the 2016 ride of course, we now can put leicester on a footy map... Good luck with future !

• Like 2

On 25/02/2019 at 12:04, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yes, because I'm not a fricking moron.

You on the other hand have just said that we have to accept that big clubs will come and take our best young players and we shouldn't be like Southampton, selling our best young players.

:unsure:

In what universe do those two paragraphs run side by side? 

Just to be ultra clear about what I am saying..I’m not saying that there’s a quick fix manager out there who can turn us into world beaters ...What I am saying is that any Premier League manager can not afford to be guided solely by a philosophy and a commitment to a particular style of football. You have to look at the players at your disposal and think what is the best way to get results..the results create a sense of progress and give you the room to bring in changes..refusing to play to the strengths of one of the nations top strikers is but just one of Puels follies..fine if you have an alternative that gets you 20 goals a season without him - not fine if you’ve managed to screw the confidence of those alternatives and publicly declared you don’t need other strike options..

For large parts of Puels tenure our form has been consistent with relegation..he has been unable to achieve the results that would allow usto trust him to implement the changes he wants or that those changes would indeed bring about an improvement in the clubs fortunes over a longer time period. Without any forward momentum at all, our best players would leave window by window and the 2-3 year revolution would have to be regularly postponed.This is precisely what has happened under several managers At Southampton and you can see that one season soon they are going to get relegated..

1 minute ago, Le Froggy said:

While we can understand the frustration of the fans because of dispointeing results... We found the fans really full of hate towards PUEL who is seen a very discreet, howver very respectul guy here ijn France

Many newspaper praised the football played by Leicester the last few games, even if the results were poor ... don't you think TOP should have waited end of season as PUEL would have at least kept the team in EPl... now you face the unknown ...

To end, I would like to express how respected your club is in France... Everyone enjoyed the 2016 ride of course, we now can put leicester on a footy map... Good luck with future !

Bonjour mon ami .... c’est tres difficile 

I think it is because of his management style. He didn’t communicate with the players or the supporters.  He didn’t speak to us so we knew it was a long term journey and we had to have some bad spells with the young players. There are some articles in the press but in the modern age, you need to hear and see people.  Maybe some clubs would be ok with this type of person but I don’t think ours can be now. 

The performances at home are poor. Results are even worse.  I think the owners wanted to wait until the summer to make a change but when they see supporters booing and waving their arms at them and then consider that some will lose confidence is coming again next season on the corporate side (because it’s no fun to go to the king power anymore ).............  they decided enough was enough

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Le Froggy said:

Hi Mrs Puel

regards to your son

• Like 1

It's frustrating that we've only just started with our new look line up, Barnes bringing a goal threat on the left, Morgan and Mendy finally not allowed to follow a shocker with an automatic selection next time round and Tielemans changing our midfields creativity. It's what a lot of us had been asking for.

Claude could point at the seven goals conceded in two games and say look what happens when we don't play two strict DM's. I think it's more a case of too little too late and not the best time to make the change.

We may never know where it was headed but for me the way the players stopped making runs and helping each other out, the way Maguire failed to cover Fuchs who had tracked his man inside, the Ghezzal situation where you have a senior pro who you know is very likely to get hooked at half time after doing nothing in 45 minutes (what other club have a player withdrawn so early so often - it's not like we're bedding in a 20 year old), the early / first goals conceded and the fact that the system does not benefit our huge investment in Vardys salary and Nacho's fee means enough is enough, if it's an experiment the f***ing lab is on fire yet we were being asked to ignore the alarm bells and stay in there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Le Froggy said:

Hi Froggy. There were quite a few issues (as mentioned already) with Claude and he also had his qualities (the main one, introducing young players to the squad). But the bottom line is, the results this year were disastrous...  Last 7 games: 6 losses, 1 draw, 0 wins. There were better managers than him sacked for less! 

1 hour ago, Le Froggy said:

Bonjour!

As others have put it, Puel was comparable to Marmite - either you loved him or you didn't, there was little space in between.

He tended to keep his distance to players, supporters, and if latest reports are true, even froze out our Director of Football Jon Rudkin in meetings.

Team performances have been on the slide for weeks, if not months, and there was no clear indication that things had improved since he took over in fall 2017.

The only positive aspect you can attribute to his tenure is his push for younger players to make it in the starting XI. But even then, the omission of a young player like Choudhury or not using Iheanacho properly did not work in his favour. Puel clang on to his darlings for too long, and this god-awful 4-2-3-1 system never really worked, not with the personnel we have at our disposal. We played possession-based football, but not effectively enough.

Our home form under Puel was pretty bad, we currently have the fourth-worst record in the entire league. Our main striker never got the service he deserved and this created a lot of frustration both within the fanbase as well as within the squad.

Losing in the cup against Newport pretty much lay open Puel's deficiencies and stubbornness.

From the outside, Puel was horrible to listen to in the media, his speaking pattern is very monotonous and subdued (that's just me). I understand his English isn't the best, but I never had the feeling he really wanted to explain himself in public after defeats or didn't respond well to criticism. He never really opened up to the public and thus never managed to establish a connection to the fanbase.

I also heard that he's rather stubborn and thus a bit difficult to work with. This character trait tended to come across as arrogance to the outside.

You can admire his passion and his experience and achievements in Ligue 1 with Lyon especially, but also Lille or Nice.

However, with hindsight you can say that he was the wrong manager at the wrong time at the wrong club in the wrong league.

Maybe he'll do better again back in France, but I can honestly say he's just not cut for the Premier League.

Despite finishing in 8th place with Southampton two years ago, there were plenty of Saints fans that criticized his style of play and his tactics. We saw shades of that last season and a repeat this season. This did not go down well with the supporters.

In fact, we're just one spot better off now than when he took over (13th to 12th).

He had to go, the situation after six league matches without a win and the Newport game had become untenable.

I, for one, am glad he's gone. He was actively or indirectly suppressing a lot of things that have made this club so fantastic over the past few years especially. To me, he has sucked out all the joy and enthusiasm out of the team, and that's something. There's a general sense of relief surrounding the club, with more room to breathe again.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

I actually don't believe that puel has a place in football management in ANY club.... Football is about entertainment not boring play and zero personality 

Puel could not inspire anything or anyone with his drab monotone and miserable persona

I truly feel UTTERLY sorry for any clubs fans who have to endure puel in the future 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Le god said:

I actually don't believe that puel has a place in football management in ANY club.... Football is about entertainment not boring play and zero personality 

Puel could not inspire anything or anyone with his drab monotone and miserable persona

I truly feel UTTERLY sorry for any clubs fans who have to endure puel in the future 

He did inspire a team to win a major league, and get to a champions league semi-final, and win a European trophy!

More than Hollowhead's wildest dreams ever achieved.....but at least Hollowhead had a personality! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Le god said:

image.png.355b3781ce8811a4da94eb03c93b2019.png

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

He did inspire a team to win a major league, and get to a champions league semi-final, and win a European trophy!

More than Hollowhead's wildest dreams ever achieved.....but at least Hollowhead had a personality! 

All of this in his native France - some fifteen years ago. Let's put it all into perspective.

His winning ratio has declined steadily over the past ten years. You could thus equally argue that he's reached his pinnacle long ago.

14 hours ago, hamptonfox said:

We have got our club back, and players and fans distress at the weird world of Claude Puel are now free to enjoy their home games again.

This is the most grating comment that's been doing the rounds with regards to Puel over the past few months. If anything, Puel has been trying to lay foundations for a sounder future. And that's not to say that the club is no more "ours" than it was pre-Puel, it's just non-sensical and insinuates shortsightedness.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

[...]

Onwards and upwards and best of luck in the future Claude.

X

Well said, Rumble. Overall I don't think Puel has been a bad appointment. He really never stood a chance and for him to have lasted this long is frankly a bit surprising, considering the amount of bile there's been towards him. We have the core of a good squad now and I feel it just needs a few tactical changes to click again.

58 minutes ago, Le god said:

I don't see what Puel's persona has to do with the football on the pitch. It's pretty clear that he is passionate and engaged in the actual football when seeing him in the technical area. Yeah, some managers/coaches are able to give an extra boost to some players, but the motivation, confidence and personality comes mostly from the players themselves. I think it's time some people opened their eyes and minds a bit and stop blaming the manager for everything.
I for one am motivated by a lot of different things at my workplace, where my manager is just one of those. Maybe, just maybe, that's the case for footballers too.

• Like 2