Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Puel Gone - Official

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

All of this in his native France - some fifteen years ago. Let's put it all into perspective.

His winning ratio has declined steadily over the past ten years. You could thus equally argue that he's reached his pinnacle long ago.

He was really unlucky not to have won Southampton the league cup the season before he joined us. They were the much better team on the day. 

And his two seasons in the P/L both resulted in top 10 finishes, both with clubs going through immense changes.

Anyway, he's gone now, so let's just move on to the next manager and give him our full support.

It would make a refreshing change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Le Froggy said:

Hi everyone ! French Fan (in piece if this need to mentionned)

2 questions that comes to many people's mind here = 

While we can understand the frustration of the fans because of dispointeing results... We found the fans really full of hate towards PUEL who is seen a very discreet, howver very respectul guy here ijn France

So my Question is : Why ? Is it down to communication or what else ? 

Many newspaper praised the football played by Leicester the last few games, even if the results were poor ... don't you think TOP should have waited end of season as PUEL would have at least kept the team in EPl... now you face the unknown ...

To end, I would like to express how respected your club is in France... Everyone enjoyed the 2016 ride of course, we now can put leicester on a footy map... Good luck with future !

Bonjour

Thank you for your interest in our Club. clearly some of the more vociferous critics of CP have communicated their displeasure in a less than temperate way but I don't believe that he was hated by the fan base in general. You are correct that he conducted himself with respect and dignity through some difficult times and I was grateful that he didn't join the trend for confronting and abusing referees. Apart from a couple of rather senseless moves (eg signing Ghezzal) he largely finishes in credit on his signings and promoting of players an area where his immediate predecessors have mostly escaped censure for their ill advised profligacy in overspending  on misfits .

You ask whether he should have been allowed to remain in post until the end of the season but it is hard to see what that would achieve.At this time last year we were sustained by reports of a plan to strengthen the side in areas of weakness such as rb but the impression at the moment is of short termism and a feeling that all our better players will leave the club.  We are hearing odd reports that our head of recruitment may already have left for Bordeaux and is certainly lining up players for them and as supporters we like to see that management has a grip on things . So to answer your other point yes- communication is clearly an issue  and at the end of the day results are all that really matter in the absence of a clear vision that the whole club and its supporters can buy into and get behind; some will be baying for a manager's sacking after two successive defeats but I believe that the majority understand and accept the concept of current pain for future gain . The reservoir of goodwill towards the man has emptied rapidly over the past couple of weeks. An air of hauteur/ insouciance however you describe it can come across very badly when the side is in freefall and suffering heavy home defeats to the likes of second raters like palace.Your assertion that he would have kept the side in the division sets the bar ridiculously low ( and given the recent  results wouldn't be guaranteed in any case). It now transpires that the players didn't buy into his vision (or it wasn't communicated properly ) and since the supporters in the main found that the way the side was selected and set up was unfathomable I'd pretty much say that communication was his downfall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shen said:

I don't see what Puel's persona has to do with the football on the pitch. It's pretty clear that he is passionate and engaged in the actual football when seeing him in the technical area. Yeah, some managers/coaches are able to give an extra boost to some players, but the motivation, confidence and personality comes mostly from the players themselves.

Personally I really liked his passion in the technical area, no-one can say he didn't care.

I think most fans assume that his dull press-conference persona was also how he encouraged his players (which is to say, not a lot). That's something a manager does need to be able to do to succeed, now and always. By all accounts his lack of man-management seems to have been his downfall, you can't imagine him being able to galvanise players too much.

Then again he obviously managed to get them going against Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs so it's all a bit of a mystery.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As soon as Puel came in, he sidelined Michael Appleton, who was respected by the players, turning him from assistant manager to some bloke who just scouted the opposition. 

Froze him out, weren't speaking by the end of last season, wanted him sacked, and Appleton got the call to tell him he was being fired ... while he was on honeymoon. 

Stuff like that didn't help Puel.

With all due respect, you didn't post for months and you're suddenly here again, right after he was sacked, having one dig at him after another. Then you wonder why some might think you have an agenda.

He's gone and Rodgers is now likely going to take the job. The matter is done and dusted. 

Edited by That_Dude

7 minutes ago, SirFox said:

Personally I really liked his passion in the technical area, no-one can say he didn't care.

I think most fans assume that his dull press-conference persona was also how he encouraged his players (which is to say, not a lot). That's something a manager does need to be able to do to succeed, now and always. By all accounts his lack of man-management seems to have been his downfall, you can't imagine him being able to galvanise players too much.

Then again he obviously managed to get them going against Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs so it's all a bit of a mystery.

Did he, or did the players fire themselves up? Conversely, are the players then to blame for the lacklustre perfomances against Southampton, Cardiff, Palace?

I can see why he's been grating some of the established players whose positions were being challenged (Fuchs, Morgan, Simpson, Iborra, Okazaki even Vardy and Schmeichel).

But someone has to help the squad and club make that transition and Puel wasn't shy to do so, even if his stubbornness backfired.

He seemed to get good performances out of Ricardo and Chilwell in particular, while Mendy justified his selections for long periods, so he wasn't universally poor at it.

It was time for him to go, no question, but he has my sympathy. I wish some would have shown a bit of respect and had more perspective throughout his tenure. Lots of the criticism was over the top or misguided.

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The reason I took a break for 6/7 weeks was because arguments were going around in circles and certain posters just wouldn't have there were serious problems inside the club.

There was so much more I could've posted about the issues but I got a bit tired of the "You have one source, a disaffected player, everyone else is happy" stuff.

So - with all due respect to Puel fanboys like you - I'll post whatever I want ;)

Stay classy ;)

2 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

With all due respect, you didn't post for months and you're suddenly here again, right after he was sacked, having one dig at him after another. Then you wonder why some might think you have an agenda.

He's gone and Rodgers is now likely going to take the job. The matter is done and dusted. 

If I remember correctly, the Appleton vs. Puel clash was reported on here before, and that was months ago.

Can only thank him for laying plenty of foundations and making many decisions a lot of managers wouldn't of have the balls to do. 

Phasing out Morgan, Simpson, Okazaki, Ulloa etc and changing our style of play was never going to make him popular within the squad, but it was something that was required in order to allow us to move forward and progress. 

Not many managers would of persisted with Chillwell, who has now gone on to become England's first choice left back, Gave Hamza Choudary his debut against Tottenham whilst winning 2-1 massively under the cosh and starting him in big games this season such as Man City & Chelsea, Bringing Barnes back and chucking him straight in against Man United & Tottenham. 

The signings under his tenor include Söyüncü, Benkovic, Maddison, Tielemans, Ricardo, Danny Ward, Jonny Evans, Ghezzal & Diabaté who have all already contributed in one way or another and are certainly exciting for the future.  

The time was right for him to go thought and I think Brendan Rodgers is the perfect replacement to take this squad to the next level now. 

Think I'll say my peace on the matter now there's a good vibe and I can think objectively, I've been out for a while now, he had a difficult job but went about it the wrong way. He didn't endear himself to the fans, which isn't a neccesity but when the style isn't appreciated and we aren't picking up results then it's only going to go one way. I think his promotion of youth is largely overstated, think he chucked choudhury under the bus after looking like a bright spark and a feather to put in Puel's cap. We've also been a club for the past couple of years that has had a consistent 11, we made the least changes when we won the championship and the premier league, chopping and changing is always going to rattle fans, especially when players like vardy and maddison aren't getting a look in, constantly taking off Maddison who is probably our most creative player and rarely letting him see 90 mins, all contributed to the majority of us turning on him. I can appreciate him being able to shift deadwood and I think by and large he has been astute in the transfer market, but I think in cases like King was done a bit too ruthlessly especially for someone who had given so much for the club. The real nail in the coffin I think for a lot, especially me really , was the total disregard for the cups. If he'd have taken the quarter final more seriously then wembley was seriously on the cards. I wish him luck though, I think he has reasonably good ideas but they won't work in england, wish him the best in France as tbf I did really enjoy his Nice team with Ben Arfa's renaissance. 

4 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Anyone thinking that maybe Puel was a stop gap all along? Seems we've been after Brendan for some time. Maybe Puel was keeping the seat warm until Brodge became available?

Just a thought.

I can't get behind the 2 or 3 season set up manager philosophy to bring in the guy that's going to bring us to the next level philosophy. That's like dating a girl saying you're already looking for the next one and will dump her when the time comes. Seems toxic to me.

They say clubs should always have a good idea of who their next manager is going to be. And considering the speed we pulled him out of Celtic we probably already had a plan, even though the media said we didn't, when we sacked Puel.

20 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Anyone thinking that maybe Puel was a stop gap all along? Seems we've been after Brendan for some time. Maybe Puel was keeping the seat warm until Brodge became available?

Just a thought.

I definitely think we were sounding out The Brodge since the start of the season when he made sounds about being dissatisfied about Celtics summer window. Especially how last season ended for Puel.

Edited by Sharpe's Fox

5 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

considering the speed we pulled him out of Celtic we probably already had a plan, even though the media said we didn't, when we sacked Puel.

He was lined up before Christmas from what I gather but then we beat Chelsea and Man City and obviously it was temporarily kicked into the long grass.

This has been on the cards for some time. No-ones going to admit that publicly of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://footballsecretsofthepharaohs.wordpress.com/2019/02/27/in-defence-of-a-miserable-frenchmen-the-legacy-of-claude-puel-at-leicester/

Written an article on Puel's legacy at LCFC. Some of it may be too forgiving and positive but I do honestly think that Puel might be remember fondly for starting the rebuilding process in a few years time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Foxy Mofo said:

https://footballsecretsofthepharaohs.wordpress.com/2019/02/27/in-defence-of-a-miserable-frenchmen-the-legacy-of-claude-puel-at-leicester/

Written an article on Puel's legacy at LCFC. Some of it may be too forgiving and positive but I do honestly think that Puel might be remember fondly for starting the rebuilding process in a few years time. 

I enjoyed reading your article and thought it very fair. I do not think you have been too forgiving either.

However, as I've posted in another thread, because our fans were so divided over Puel, I just can't see him being remembered, or given the proper credit, should this current squad go on to astound everyone next season by reaching the top four, or winning a cup.

Pearson was, and is, (righly) given much credit for building the squad which won us the P/L. It was as much to his credit, maybe more, than Ranieri's.

But I very much doubt that many of our fanbase will give Puel a second thought should next season be a great one.

On 27/02/2019 at 00:45, UpTheLeagueFox said:

He was lined up before Christmas from what I gather but then we beat Chelsea and Man City and obviously it was temporarily kicked into the long grass.

This has been on the cards for some time. No-ones going to admit that publicly of course.

It might sound like a daft question but, with youas a rather more insider within the club due to your job commitments, is Jon Rudkin right to be highly criticised by many over the past few seasons?

The level of criticism against him is something I don't really understand.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

On 28/02/2019 at 14:03, Foxy Mofo said:

Great article. Balanced and not overly forgiving. Thanks for sharing.

Really good article highlighting the positives and negatives. Hope we give Puel a job of overall building structures at Lcfc, no way any other managers would have given the youth the chance, also he can help in building the new training centre. 

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Very telling words from Chilwell.

Even the younger players (who play regularly) had big issues with Puel.

Pennies could be finally dropping with some fans.

Thanks Geoff but I think the needle’s stuck on the record of I Told You So

• Like 1