Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Puel Gone - Official

Fair play a d good luck to him. 

When he came I felt positive and thought Southampton were pretty ungreatful for how they had treated considering they finished 7th and got to a cup final. 

I gave him every chance and defending him stoutly. 

But it became apparent that he had no real idea on football matters, he had no idea how to use the players at his disposal and we witnessed some of the worst football since David Pleat. 

He had to go and we had to find a manager to take us forward not backwards as Puell was seemingly doing. 

Maybe given more time, a few more windows he would have a team that could understand what he was trying to,  but in this game you cannot afford to go backwards for to long. 

I have no ill feeling towards him, but I am so happy we do not have to watch his turgid brand of football. 

On 08/03/2019 at 19:01, Paninistickers said:

Now the dust has settled, it's pretty obvious to me that the route cause of Puel's demise was his language difficulties

In French, I'm reasonably sure he'd be a dour but dry humoured manager, quietly able to coax his players and a bon mot or two for the fans. Quiet and dry, like Hodgson perhaps.

It's a shame. I liked his transfer dealings (Soyuncu apart, who I fear is dreadful). I liked his player improvement in Chilwell, Amartey, Mendy and to a lesser extent Gray. Look at Ricardo's improvement from early season to now. Maddison a work in progress

I even liked his style. Great away from home but horribly misjudged at home. But Nothing that couldn't/shouldn't have been solved

Bonne chance Claude. You'll make some club a good husband. But LCFC aren't really cut out to be your wife! 

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but reading that about Cags put my jaw on the floor. Like in a cartoon, or on Harry Kane's face 100% of the time.

I know you don't think that now. It's okay.

A great, famous old club. Do they still hold the record number of top tier French titles?

I wish him well. We seem to put a lot of emphasis on charisma with our football managers, I wonder if it's the same in France and I wonder if Claude actually comes across as more charismatic in French than he does in English.

He did a lot of good work here, laying the foundations for what Rodgers is doing now. I was disappointed with his sacking at first but I accept now that it was the right decision. Not least for how he was using Vardy, who has proven that he is still at the peak of his powers aged 32.

• Like 1

Not everything he did he was bad and credit where its due for the good things he did.

However on the field, the actual football we go to see, it was terrible and a time where I genuinely questioned my enjoyment and interest in the game, it was horrid.

I think the people who supported Puel and staunchly stick up for him struggle to accept and struggle to understand the good and bad parts more than those who seemingly 'slag him off'.

He'll probably do well in France, you can't argue with his his track record in that league but he's finished in England certainly in a managerial role.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

A great, famous old club. Do they still hold the record number of top tier French titles?

I wish him well. We seem to put a lot of emphasis on charisma with our football managers, I wonder if it's the same in France and I wonder if Claude actually comes across as more charismatic in French than he does in English.

He did a lot of good work here, laying the foundations for what Rodgers is doing now. I was disappointed with his sacking at first but I accept now that it was the right decision. Not least for how he was using Vardy, who has proven that he is still at the peak of his powers aged 32.

I think this is the case. Every now and then he came out with something unexpectedly funny, like the answer to the questiom of whether Maguire would be playing at Old Trafford.

• Like 2

He wasn't the man to execute his own vision. Could see what he was trying to do but went the wrong way about it.

Will always be grateful to him for how he handled the tragedy. Hold no real hard feelings towards him (even though some of the performances I watched made me swear more than I've ever done in my life) and wish him the best. Hopefully France works out for him and think he's more suited there than the prem.

2 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

He wasn't the man to execute his own vision. Could see what he was trying to do but went the wrong way about it.

Will always be grateful to him for how he handled the tragedy. Hold no real hard feelings towards him (even though some of the performances I watched made me swear more than I've ever done in my life) and wish him the best. Hopefully France works out for him and think he's more suited there than the prem.

Perfect summary for me ..... Which is why I think he'd make a great DOF

• Thanks 1