Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Brendan Rodgers

4 minutes ago, Robin JD Popley said:

Interesting article that doesn’t say anything new but with his sources you would imagine this must be pretty close.

I’ll still be shocked if he leaves before the end of the season but you never know.

49 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

Looks like our board is just going with the flow and gushing all over Brendon. 

The board doesn't have much footballing knowledge to pick a young up coming manager from the Continental leagues. 

Not saying that Rodgers is the man we should go for, but the history of promising young foreign managers in the league hasn't been that stellar:

- AVB flopped at Chelsea and Spurs.

- Aitor Karanka sacked at Boro

- Pellegrino sacked from Southampton

- Marco Silva flattering to deceive wherever he's been

- Martinez was great at Wigan, but failed at Everton

- Javi Gracia doing a decent job

- Michael Laudrup started off brilliantly at Swansea but was sacked

- Pochetino was a clear success at both clubs he was at, though he's won nothing in the English game

As a result going for someone with actual experience in the British game and a point to prove is probably a smart decision to make. Of the two candidates that we could probably get (Rodgers and Rafa) one is a safe and dependable option (Rafa) and one is a bit more exciting but also potentially more of a risk (Rodgers). For me either one would be a good appointment.

You can't afford to get relegated from the Premier League, the risk is just to great. Thus experience is essential.

• Like 1

Unless Kasper and Vardy are moved out or in no uncertain terms shown that they no longer run the club (and realistically I don’t know how you would even do that) the manager hire probably doesn’t matter all that much. We’ll have another thread like this soon enough.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I think Rodgers could get the best out of someone like iheanacho, I know injuries have hampered him but no one got more out of Sturridge than Rodgers did. He also likes his fullbacks to push high up the pitch like they did at Swansea which will suit Ricardo and Chilwell.

• Haha 1

Interesting read here on why he got axed by Liverpool

Why BR got axed from Anfield

When you review his time as a whole there, it’s not great.

I’m not convinced he’s the right person for us. He’s done okay in Scotland however it’s not the competitive league is was 10 - 15 years ago. With the resources at the disposal, how many other current Premier League Managers would have emulated what Rodgers has done at Celtic? Most of them? 

10 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’m not convinced he’s the right person for us. He’s done okay in Scotland however it’s not the competitive league is was 10 - 15 years ago. With the resources at the disposal, how many other current Premier League Managers would have emulated what Rodgers has done at Celtic? Most of them?

Yeah this pretty sums up my thoughts. Feeling pretty underwhelmed at the prospect of him coming here, but I'll back him of course.

17 minutes ago, Sly said:

He got sacked from Liverpool because they lost their best player in Suarez but also because their problems had been endemic for years without any focus from above him. What he needed was time and investment, which is what Klopp has had.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sly said:

To me all this says he got axed because of a poor transfer policy from the transfer committee they had.

13 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

If the board encourage players to have a voice, they'll have a voice. We've not seen those players let the side down in terms of work rate, and they haven't been among the worst performers of Puel's reign. Neither has there been any breathtaking show of insubordination, only a few grumbles and a bit of media gossip.  There was no problem with the previous boss, and only a bunch of discredited gossip regarding the one before him, who appeared to have lost the plot anyway.

Bearing in mind Puel made enough odd decisions to undermine his own stewardship, and that you'd expect the professionals who worked with him to raise an eyebrow here and there, I'd say there's not enough to go on for us to call for star players to be ditched. And I suspect there's not enough to put off big name candidates for the job, including (perhaps) Rodgers and Benitez.

If Puel was let down, I'd look at the players who've emerged post-Pearson rather than the 'Old Guard' - Mendy and Maddison being in such dreadful form in our recent poor run, Iheanacho, Ghezzal, Maguire, Gray. The 'Old Guard' may have got a bit old, but their effort levels have remained admirable enough, Vardy included. No, he's not in top form, but he's not the first striker to suffer under Puel, and if he's been poor in the second half of Puel's reign, he was the stand-out star of the first.

Above all, though, it's just a case of a manager trying to implement a style which has had questionable success in the EPL in recent times, not having the players to implement that style and, at two different clubs, getting fired as a result. In our case you can throw a few weakened team selections for cup games into the equation, and a miserable post-Wycombe-esque collapse in form in the aftermath. I don't think we need to go searching, dagger in hand, for any serpents' heads. And I think potential new managers will see that too.

You sir, have spoke the most sense I have ever seen on this forum. You have my sincere thanks

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

See you in 18 months when Rodgers gets the same treatment.

seriously buddy .... Claudio had lost it big time and shakey didn’t have the ability to manage a PL club. (Tactics and motivation)

puel has suffered due to his shocking man management across the board (and poor communication skills which could well be related) 

stop believeing the narrative put out there by those who have a strange agenda ...... not sure why they don’t like the very specific character traits that meant we actually achieved the pinnacle of our supporting lives .........

• Like 3

Celtic fans slagging Leicester off staying its a step down, basically calling us a Swansea, hmm they seem to forget, what happened two years ago, that we play in the best lge in the world, our team not full of premiership rejects also they play in Sunday pub tin pot lge :) 

• Like 1