Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton Home 2-1 Post Match Thread

I do think the fact that Brighton have had a ten day break was relevant, they looked fresher and were still strong at the end. Watching the highlights makes you realise they should have won 3 or 4-2 and usually would with those chances and saves. Teams coming here still turn up very confident, know we're there for the taking, hopefully we can build some kind of home form or string of results and turn that attitude towards us around but it will take a few more wins to do that. 

5 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

I do think the fact that Brighton have had a ten day break was relevant, they looked fresher and were still strong at the end. Watching the highlights makes you realise they should have won 3 or 4-2 and usually would with those chances and saves. Teams coming here still turn up very confident, know we're there for the taking, hopefully we can build some kind of home form or string of results and turn that attitude towards us around but it will take a few more wins to do that. 

We could have had 5 goals easily tonight? 

Just now, EnderbyFox said:

Most frustrating part tonight was large sections of our fans audibly sighing every time Mendy played a pass that was backwards or sideways.

We were under a bit of pressure, taking the sting out of the game and slowing things down shouldn't elicit that response imo 

I was in SK2 and people were praising Mendy. Personally thought he was excellent and steadied the ship. He should start IMO when we are away from home as think Barnes and Gray in team put too much pressure on the remaining midfielders. 

Barnes has so much attacking intent, he is ahead of Gray and streets ahead of Ghezzal. Barnes will get the coaching he needs to hit the target at this level. He could have scored three at Wembley and a couple more tonight, but he's definitely gonna be a match winner for us in the future. 

Hopefully be a good end to the season, 50+ points would be nice. 

18 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Nampalys Mendy I've decided actually typifies what this team is. This isn't a dig at him - I mean, it kind of is, but tonight I thought he was the biggest reason we saw it our and regained control at 2-1 and this is why he's summed us up. It seems to me like his one ultimate strength is just keeping the ball. He's actually really good at it. Clever movement, clever passes, plays safe nearly every time. When ahead that's absolutely fine. It's just when we're not that it's pretty useless.

Yes, that's a very good way of putting it! He really does some up our team and style of play.

Will be very interesting to see what Rogers does. He does often like to use one "metronome" style player at the base of his midfield 3. Joe Allen for Swansea and Liverpool (later Gerrard), McGregor, etc. Mendy could be that player or even Adrien Silva if he returns. I think the club will go all out to sign Tielemans and I think we will get him. He is very good, but you can see why Monaco let him go and why the big boys aren't in for him. He's got the potential but he's not there yet and to be honest having a season being the man every week Kante-style is what he needs.

Luckily other than that type of player, everyone else is asked to press intensely from the front foot with the metronome player being there to recycle the ball. So we should see a culture shift at the start of next season and hopefully before then too.

10 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Most frustrating part tonight was large sections of our fans audibly sighing every time Mendy played a pass that was backwards or sideways.

We were under a bit of pressure, taking the sting out of the game and slowing things down shouldn't elicit that response imo 

But that's the reason why people ultimately turned against Puel. Of course you are completely correct, he came on to do a job and not only did he do it well, it's probably the reason why we won 2-1 instead of drawing 2-2. But what Puel got wrong in all of his systems was a lack of intensity, despite him saying he wanted to see it after every game. In 15/16 we were *the* most intense team in the league. We started games with heavy pressure, then we deliberately backed off. But we sill put the pressure on in focused areas of the pitch where it maximized our chances of a breakaway. Not only was it effective, it was exciting to watch too. We'd get stuck in and some of the goals we scored were so memorable. Mahrez versus Man City was one of my favourites that year where we made lots of tackles in quick succession then broke with 4 men and Mahrez finished quite exquisitely.

Thank God for that - a home win at last :trumpet:

A few periods of sparkling attacking play , but not surprisingly after the run we have had, signs of nerves, lack of confidence and some silly mistakes.  Still - two cracking goals and Barnes looks like he could become a hell of a player .

2 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

Halfway down in sk1 and never heard that. We were disappointed when he first came on for tele, but some of the stuff he did late on in the game we thought he was awesome. He broke up the play and took the piss with the ball at his feet a few times. 

Still want tele and yes indidi in the middle though. Wow to that.

Edited by TheLittleBigMan

7 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Felt like the whole club had a different feel today before the game. First time in a long time people looking forward going to a game, no booing substutions and not conceding the first goal for a change.

Oh people were gagging to boo when Mendy came on, if that's Puel he's getting told "you don't know what ya doing".

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

Take the sting out of the game by getting another

6 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

You shouldn’t be surprised, as I’ve said before a very small minority of most football clubs fan bases properly understand the game. Myself included.

(in not understanding lol

Edited by SheppyFox