Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton Home 2-1 Post Match Thread

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Personally I thought Gray was excellent today, much better decision making and some real maturity to his play. Put in a real shift as well.

Yes agree was good today, was commenting in his general play since being here.

Don’t rate gray very highly, been around a while and for me isn’t that much better than when he arrived, Barnes could go that way but hopefully he will develop more than gray has given the opportunity 

We were very sloppy in possession at times tonight but the result was far more important than the performance. Stowell and the team had a job to do as we needed the 3 points and they've done just that so all in all no complaints. 

Barnes was excellent, a real live wire. Smart finishes from Vardy and Gray and Schmeichel made some good saves. Tielemans played a few dirty balls in the first half too which was great to see. Thought Mendy came on and did a good job settling down the midfield in a period where we were being overrun a bit too. An effective sub from Stowell.

Massive 3 points, we’d have lost that under Puel.

Positives:

- We won

- Gray, Ricardo, Tielemans, Mendy all played extremely well

- Fantastic reflex save from Kasper

- Iheanacho didn’t get booed (Clever from Stowell)

- Maguires run and step over 

- Harvey Barnes - what a player he will be. I actually think he’s probably trying a little bit too hard when it comes to his final ball / shooting. Once he gets his 1st goal, he will really be something else

Downsides:

- Evans was poor

- Maddison slows us down, he needs to quicken up 

- We looked shaky at set pieces

- Wasn’t Chilwells best game 

- Very nervous atmosphere at times 

- Movement in the final 3rd is static at times, Tielemens was looking for the ball but there was nothing moving in front of him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

A very good showcase of how good we can be and why we are struggling to reach our potential.

Brodgers over to you.

This is how I saw it. The breakdowns defending and giving the ball away are just mind boggling.  Doesn't seem to matter who's in there, they still happen. Going forward however they were impressive.

Football is such an odd game. Thought Brighton looked a much better team in general play than Palace and yet they lost against us whilst Palace scored 4 goals! 

A fortunate win but one we desperately needed. Massive game at Watford now.

I think in many ways tonight's game perfectly encapsulated our strengths and weaknesses. Some great slick one touch play interspersed with some laborious build up, slack passing and sloppy defending. Much to work on but also much promise. 

Will be fascinating to see how Brendan sets the team up at Watford. He favours a high pressing game but that will take longer than 4 days to coach and instill so we may not see a big difference in approach just yet. 

• Like 2

Today had everything and nothing to do with Puel. 

Great to win, much needed. Just as easily could have lost though. I think the Puel effect being spoken of isn’t what I saw on the pitch. We’re still giving up chances by making sloppy individual errors and not finishing very well. That’s an individual issue. 

Edited by UPinCarolina

I was impressed by Brighton. I expected organisation and a championship level team. 

However, some of their play was highly intelligent. Clever, accurate balls all over the place.

Fortunately Murray had an absolute 'mare 

As someone said, we get whumped by Palace who offered literally nothing (even Zaha,).....then do nothing against Brighton and win.

Funny 'ole game, saint (that's a line for the 40+)

• Like 4

Nice to take a lead and great to get the win but it was a real error strewn performance 

After a bright start we lost momentum and ceded the initiative through some sloppy play and schoolboy defending

I must be a right miserable sod because I don’t feel as happy as I should do. 

Nonetheless an important three points and hopefully some exciting times ahead

Edited by Mike Oxlong

5 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Nice to take a lead and great to get the win but it was a real error strewn performance 

After a bright start we lost momentum and ceded the initiative through some sloppy play and schoolboy defending

I must be a right miserable because I don’t feel as happy as I should do. 

Nonetheless an important three points and hopefully some exciting times ahead

I think its frustrating seeing us outplayed for periods of the game when we've had plenty of times this season when we've been the better team and lost.

But those teams who end higher up the league are able to fashion results even when they dont play to their best. 

I think today was all about stopping the rot (I'm also not sure we know how to capitalize/ kill teams off when we take the lead - we seem  better going behind then stepping up a gear).

Rodgers has a lot of things to fix to make us the team we can be, but assuming we can keep this team together, the advantage of him coming now is that he has time to get us ready in the summer hitting the ground running.

• Like 1

First 20 minutes we looked really good, like the shackles had been let off them. I was sat in a box and the camera kept panning on Rodgers on the tv and he looked very impressed whenever Barnes & Gray had the ball. Also when Maguire went on his mazy run he couldn’t believe it. 

Disappointing with the idiots who were booing whenever we passed backwards. 

For me the team suffers from too much youth. All for developing and all involved need to be heavily involved but when you also think Hamza wasn't involved and could have been at times our naivety shows. Feels like a couple of more seasoned additions would help the balance and allow others to develop further. 

• Like 1

I think it’s a good thing to win in front of Brendan but clearly have so much still to work on. It’ll have given him a lot to go off for Thursdays training. 

If wed spanked them 4-0 and been faultless it would be a lot harder for him to rock up on Thursday and demand changes in formation, style and personnel! 

Very lucky win today. IMO similar type of performance to palace except we finished our chances and they missed a glut of good ones.

Think we really need some more experience in midfield as madders too lightweight and having him alongside tielemans is a luxury.

Barnes is excellent, very direct and once he gets a goal he'll score more than Gray given a full season.

Overall a good day, hopefully Rodgers can bring out the best in the team.