Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton Home 2-1 Post Match Thread

Happy with that. Was getting sick of us playing well and losing so we may as well play crap and win. Had some good moments but could easily have lost. 3 points though so have to be happy. Barnes was fantastic. Really want him to get a goal to boost his confidence even more. 

• Thanks 1

We need to press from the front and not just in patches.

Especially when we lose the ball. Right now there isn't enough fight or desire to win it back immediately and restart the attack.

In addition, we need to press as a TEAM! It can't just be one player pressing, or two. It needs to be the entire attack and midfield working in unison.

Defending starts from the front folks. No wonder our defence leaks so many chances, our lack of pressing allows teams to stroll through us. 

Hopefully Rodgers can sort out this pressing issue 

• Like 2

Another positive performance similar in style to the Spurs game going forward slightly better defensively but still some things to work on for Rodgers.

The potential is there for sure, Barnes looks great, Gray clinical and getting into better positions, Teleman needs signing up.

Nididi has looked a different player in the last 3 games 

You know what....fair play Dimi Gray, put that shift in every week and I won’t have much to moan about. I tip my cap son :appl:

Generally poor tonight though, plenty to work on but good arld Brendan will sort that out so he will catch yourself on wee lad. 

Also, Harvey Barnes. Wow. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SAFC1 said:

It was obvious you’s would win tonight. How did Brighton play? They desperately need a result on Saturday at home to Huddersfield! 

They deserved at least a point, thought they played very well. 90% sure they won't go down

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

It was hilarious. Like a big yeti just bowling through the defenders were scared to approach

My biggest disappointment of the game was that he didn't manage to score at the end of it, that would easily be the goal of the season! Maybe he wanted to walk the ball into the net Pele/Maradona style lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goober said:

Harsh on Brighton but much needed and a massive ****ing relief to see out the win.

7th is back on

Was harsh on us against United, Spurs and Palace so I don't feel bad for Brighton at all. They shouldn't go down though as they are a decent side. Better than shite like Burnley, Hudds and Cardiff. 

8 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Finally a win! Needed that for all our sakes. Played some really good counter attacking stuff at times. Still very sideways and hesitant aswell though.

I said it on Saturday and I'll say it again. Maddison = SO overrated. His corners are utterly hopeless. Had an easy ball to play through to Barnes aswell and he completely cocked it up. Has alot of potential but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Nonsense..!!   This is his 1 st season..give the young players a break...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Defence not so much the issue as what goes on in front of it...

Yes, it is not too surprising that we are defensively frail with full backs that go forward and only one DM. 

I don't see Youreh and Maddeh working as  a CM partnership. Maddison is a number 10, not a ball winner. 

6 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Felt like we just needed to get that win on the board tonight. Confidence is clearly very low.

Rodgers is taking over a group of good players but one that needs a hugely different tactical system and one that seemingly needs a rocket up their arse (Huth's comments were spot on).

For the rest of the season I'd just like to see some signs that we are trying to develop into an attacking high tempo team. We need to get far more players up the pitch at all times. With the ball or without the ball we need a positive shape so it is easier for us to overwhelm the opposition as soon as we win the ball back. Let's start with some pressing and ideally 2 up front (though admittedly we lack a decent 2nd striker at this point).

It's clear that Puel has coached some really bad characteristics into these players - lack of purpose, lack of self-belief in possession (Maguire aside who thinks he's Beckenbauer), slow tempo, physical weakness and downright laziness from one or two. It's now Rodgers' job to coach that stuff out of them.

I hope this is what Rodgers introduces to the team too. We play the game at a snail's pace and whilst that might work in France and Spain it's got to be much faster in the Premier League. We get plenty of the ball, but we take so long (cough Maddison cough) that the opposition have ages to set their shape and get a defensive block going.

We don't necessarily need 2 up front though, a forward 3 is supposed to be exactly that, a forward 3. Our problem under Puel and again tonight is that Vardy is too isolated so can neither link up with others, nor get on the ball, nor act as the first line of defence. Most successful teams that play this way play further up the pitch so the front 3 are all much closer together, as are the midfield 3. That means if the opposition play it to their right back, then our 9, 7 and 8 can box in that player to block the passing lanes and force them to go long or give the ball away. That's the idea at least.

It is still possible to play two up front and be high tempo as we proved in 15/16, but you'll concede a lot more possession that way. Rogers has always played a continental style so I wouldn't bet on seeing two up front any time soon. But we will find out more in the remaining 11 games.

One training session isn’t going to fix the problems we had, but we created 2 clear goal scoring opportunities and took them. That was the difference.. 

hopefully the confidence and Rodgers coming will lift us now, once Barnes scores, he’ll get a few.. looks a real talent. 

Crap performance but 3 points, confidence and a new exciting manager sums up a pretty good day!

up the foxes!