Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton Home 2-1 Post Match Thread

At times we were so bloody poor. Our midfield were generally fine on the ball but couldn’t track their opposite numbers when off it.

Maddison at times was annoyingly over playing the ball when a simple two touch could have done. Vardy for long spells was awful. Chilwell was ripped repeatedly apart by Knockaert. Pereira getting caught wrong side of his man and then breezed away from the ball. 

The atmosphere was appalling and I sincerely hope the first Saturday 3 gives it a lift. 

Thats the negativity stuff out of the way because I think the lack of confidence played a part. Both our goals were lovely football taking advantage of the opposition losing it not far from goal. Tielemans superb on the ball. Barnes exciting. Gray worked his socks off

6 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Felt like the whole club had a different feel today before the game. First time in a long time people looking forward going to a game, no booing substutions and not conceding the first goal for a change.

I did until we had fans screaming at playing the ball forward from a good position, 2-1 with five minutes to play. 

• Like 3

Decent performance, but not great but good to get the win. Worth staying up until 5am for!

Brighton were a decent side and I hope they don't go down because there are worse teams in the P/L, including Palace, Cardiff, Southampton & Burnley.

Our performance was not as good as some of our recent ones, especially Spuds & Liverpool, but we needed the win more than a performance.

I bet Claude is cursing his luck today as Brighton were missing the chances which have been going in against us, and opposition goalkeepers have been saving the shots we scored from.

Great to hear the crowd appreciating decent passes, skill and moves. The atmosphere sounded so much better that of late, even when Brighton were on top.

• Like 3

Such a nice feeling to walk away from the ground with a win but I have to confess it was a tough watch. We should be grateful first and foremost to Brighton for missing all those chances.

positives: the atmosphere at the start, Barnes' speed and enthusiasm, Vardy finally scoring at home again, two measured assists for the goals, Tielemans' composure, Mendy's control. THREE POINTS!

negatives: Maddison (lucky to still be on the field when he redeemed himself with that pass to Vardy), our sloppy defending (especially Ricardo and Chilwell), Barnes' finishing and final ball.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chapero82 said:

What was all the groaning of going forward? We was 2-1 up, it’s best not to lose the ball in a dangerous place! 

Because people like to groan at times. We brought Mendy on to close the game down and he did what was asked of him. 

Some of our fans would do well to look at some previous games, we went gungho at Wolves and let a goal in in the last minute after pulling back to draw level, same as at Spurs although we were losing at the time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Atmosphere was bad. That really surprised me, thought it would have been way more positive.

Yeah, was very poor. Totally showed up those claiming they weren't inspired to get behind the team because of Puel. Still audible groans for misplaced/backwards passes and Kelechi coming on - as well as a half-empty ground applauding the players at full-time.

Some people really need to temper their expectations I think. Things won't change overnight, but getting behind the team more is going to win us a few points in the meantime.

51 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Atmosphere was bad. That really surprised me, thought it would have been way more positive.

It started off well but everyone was nervous. 6 defeats in 7 don’t forget and Brighton were very good. In fact I’d argue Brighton were better than Palace!

Once we hit 40 points the atmosphere will improve. 

Bunch of plastics we are lol!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The difference between this and the previous games is that we had some luck.

Puel was very unlucky.

Yes, that was pretty much a Puel performance, probably the same team he would have put out

This time we finished chances, scored first, and got away with murder at the other end of the pitch

And for anyone who complained about Silva not getting game time and that being a 'crazy' Puel decision, whilst I thought I would like to see more of Silva, his contribution paled in comparison to Tielemans' in just a couple of games.  Right decision was clearly made there

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

11 hours ago, blaaklint said:

To be honest, I reckon that was actually pretty similar to our last few matches. We won, which is great, but all the same issues were there.

Agree,you wouldn't have known Puel wasn't still there which is a little bit worrying.I thought we might see some of them perform a lot better without him but they didn't which beggers the question was it him or them?

I do believe that Rodgers will get a lot more from them than Puel given a bit of time.

Gray was MOTM for me. Defended well and his confidience to attack was sublime.

Barnes was also very good, shame he can't seem to finish at the moment! If he starts converting his chances he'll be an incredible player. Delighted that we've got Rodgers in to work with our exciting youth.

EXCITING TIMES AHEAD!!!

44 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It started off well but everyone was nervous. 6 defeats in 7 don’t forget and Brighton were very good. In fact I’d argue Brighton were better than Palace!

Brighton actually ventured forward with more than just two men, probably why we scored!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Brighton actually ventured forward with more than just two men, probably why we scored!

I think you are right, it was quite end-to-end at times in the first half which left a lot of space in behind. Our 2nd goal was against the run of play and a counter attack goal.If only more teams did that to us, we'd be a lot better at home, which is one reason why our away record is so much better than our home one.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think you are right, it was quite end-to-end at times in the first half which left a lot of space in behind. Our 2nd goal was against the run of play and a counter attack goal.If only more teams did that to us, we'd be a lot better at home, which is one reason why our away record is so much better than our home one.

That's why scoring first was so important. Forced Brighton to be more attacking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I was very impressed by Brighton - after the first 15 minutes they played some really good, progressive football, as well as being dangerous from set pieces. To my mind they were way better than Palace who pretty much parked the bus and scored with every attack. Still have no idea how Palace got a 4-1 win from their performance on Saturday; they could barely string 2 passes together. Really hope Brighton stay up - and I think they will. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Kelechi coming on - as well as a half-empty ground applauding the players at full-time.

The amount of folk leaving at 85 minutes onwards was astounding. Like incredible numbers. 

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I pointed out to my Dad - I reckon 80% of goals from the non top-six teams in the Premier League are simply scored from losing possession in bad places. If Knocky got the pass off the first goal, Brighton were 3v2 on our left hand side. He lost the ball and now Brighton were missing a player in midfield, we moved the ball using the spaces. Virtually every team struggles to create clear-cut opportunities from their own invention. It's all about pressing the ball for the opposition to make mistakes near their goal and set-pieces. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The amount of folk leaving at 85 minutes onwards was astounding. Like incredible numbers. 

I do understand the leaving early thing slightly more on midweeks, given the lack of available rail for anyone heading to Harborough or Kettering etc after, but it just seems there are a certain proportion of people who will leave on around that time no matter what's going on in the game now. Absolutely baffling as to why you'd bother to go in the first place. It's become really noticeable post-title win, like there's literally nothing that could convince these people to stay till the final whistle.