Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton Home 2-1 Post Match Thread

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I do understand the leaving early thing slightly more on midweeks, given the lack of available rail for anyone heading to Harborough or Kettering etc after, but it just seems there are a certain proportion of people who will leave on around that time no matter what's going on in the game now. Absolutely baffling as to why you'd bother to go in the first place. It's become really noticeable post-title win, like there's literally nothing that could convince these people to stay till the final whistle.

You can tell those who aren't leaving for trains because they do this thing of standing still on the steps if something happens on the pitch. Being five seats from the row it's annoying as ****. 

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/leicester-vs-brighton/report/391031

Very good interview with Mike Stowell on this page! Not someone you hear too much from, but he's got real personality and had a good assessment of the game. Praised Brighton and made me laugh with his comments about Maguire's run!

I agree - he came across as an engaging character, you can see why he has been around for so long.

I particularly liked his remarks about having told the players that winning ugly was better than playing well and loosing, but that maybe they took that too literally :D

• Haha 1

For me, like many others have said, last night was mixed. Gray, Barnes and Wilf very good, Schmeichel saved us and we don't look far off! Maddison will hopefully get some good coaching from Brendan and his team as will our plethora of talented youngsters. They all ,including Brendan, need time to gel.

I do think we have a bright future and am sure our patient and understanding fans will be on board :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I do understand the leaving early thing slightly more on midweeks, given the lack of available rail for anyone heading to Harborough or Kettering etc after, but it just seems there are a certain proportion of people who will leave on around that time no matter what's going on in the game now. Absolutely baffling as to why you'd bother to go in the first place. It's become really noticeable post-title win, like there's literally nothing that could convince these people to stay till the final whistle.

Likewise with anyone heading the other way to Loughborough/Nottingham. Either leave on 85 minutes and get back just in time for the train, or wait nearly an hour for the next one.

Midweek evenings are always awkward for both getting there and leaving after, so some of the people leaving is understandable. But plenty others are turning up after 10+ minutes, leaving 10+ minutes early and missing 5-10 minutes each side of half time as well. Obviously people have paid and are entitled to do whatever they want, but particularly as a member who's been trying to get a ST for a while, it's bloody annoying seeing ST holders who seemingly aren't at all bothered.

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

At times we were so bloody poor. Our midfield were generally fine on the ball but couldn’t track their opposite numbers when off it.

Maddison at times was annoyingly over playing the ball when a simple two touch could have done. Vardy for long spells was awful. Chilwell was ripped repeatedly apart by Knockaert. Pereira getting caught wrong side of his man and then breezed away from the ball. 

The atmosphere was appalling and I sincerely hope the first Saturday 3 gives it a lift. 

Thats the negativity stuff out of the way because I think the lack of confidence played a part. Both our goals were lovely football taking advantage of the opposition losing it not far from goal. Tielemans superb on the ball. Barnes exciting. Gray worked his socks off

It was unbelievably bad. It wasn't as negative as it has been but it was so, so quiet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It was unbelievably bad. It wasn't as negative as it has been but it was so, so quiet.

All Claude's fault and absolutely no us having proper shit fans. lol

I honestly think our song book (or lack of) is partly to blame, it's all far too complicated, drawn out and mumbled. The things that get the best reaction are often the most simple, the loudest song was probably "Leicester, Leicester, Leicesterrrrrrrrrr, Leicester". Go back and while and it was scarf twirling "woah woah wooooooooah" that half the world did.

Edited by Babylon
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The difference between this and the previous games is that we had some luck.

Puel was very unlucky.

in the short term on the pitch i would say that this is pretty accurate - sometimes you don't get the rub of the green. however, i'm not convinced that claude got his points over effectively and Rodgers will be better at explaining how he doesn't want everyone sat in the front room without the back door being locked. you can help to make sure that bad luck doesn't get compounded by bad decision making

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I honestly think our song book (or lack of) is partly to blame, it's all far too complicated, drawn out and mumbled. The things that get the best reaction are often the most simple, the loudest song was probably "Leicester, Leicester, Leicesterrrrrrrrrr, Leicester". Go back and while and it was scarf twirling "woah woah wooooooooah" that half the world did.

Not having that I'm afraid. You run through a list of all the songs (simple and complex, old and new) being sung at the back of SK1 last night for example. Three or four years ago you'd get the whole block, stand and beyond joining in with many of them. The same songs are still being sung, and now people can't be bothered. So what's changed?

Sadly last night has shown that the whole Puel thing was just an excuse for our home fans being mutes. It's agonisingly bad, and just amplfiies the moans and groans when anything bad happens because it's the only significant noise being made.

• Like 1

Very pleased to get the win, performance was a mixture of a team playing with possibly shackles off as well as going back to the old habits. One thing is for sure that when we play it quickly and have real movement we are a handful to deal with, as seen with both goals.

Mainly the negativity is disappearing although the crowd weren't completely convinced, need a good performance on Sunday now.

48 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Not having that I'm afraid. You run through a list of all the songs (simple and complex, old and new) being sung at the back of SK1 last night for example. Three or four years ago you'd get the whole block, stand and beyond joining in with many of them. The same songs are still being sung, and now people can't be bothered. So what's changed?

Sadly last night has shown that the whole Puel thing was just an excuse for our home fans being mutes. It's agonisingly bad, and just amplfiies the moans and groans when anything bad happens because it's the only significant noise being made.

Where I'm sitting in SK2 I don't feel like many have ever got going other than the simple ones, which was my point. They just don't transfer easily to other sections as your casual fan who needs to hear the words to be able to join in hasn't got a scooby what's being said. Some mumbled garbled effort from SK1 has no chance. "Jamie Vardy's having a party" will work... "Jamie Vardy's magic, he wears a magic mumble, bumble, eh, mumble, Arsrenal, Chat, bang, mumble, what?"... never going to work.

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

We sold/sacked the personnel with the best songs!

DON’T SELL KNOCKEART

OH OH OH BEN MARSHALL

RANIERI HE CAME FROM ITALY

And my fave for Leo Ulloa

They was cool innit

:celebrate:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We sold/sacked the personnel with the best songs!

DON’T SELL KNOCKEART

OH OH OH BEN MARSHALL

RANIERI HE CAME FROM ITALY

And my fave for Leo Ulloa

They was cool innit

:celebrate:

How can you miss this classic bud.......... " Franky Wortho Franky Wortho Hello Hello Franky Wortho" lol

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I thought that. Why were people moaning about us slowing it down and trying to bring some control to our performance? Bringing Mendy on and keeping it simple was 100% the right thing to do. 

We were doing that all game though and that’s why we were clinging on at the end.

Too much tip tapping for no reason. It’s negative and not fun to watch and it’s not a good way of seeing games out unless it’s literally the last 2 minutes of stoppage time.

Best way to win games is by scoring goals, not keeping the ball. You only have to lose it once for them to score. If you’re 3 goals up you can do what you like.

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

We were doing that all game though and that’s why we were clinging on at the end.

Too much tip tapping for no reason. It’s negative and not fun to watch and it’s not a good way of seeing games out unless it’s literally the last 2 minutes of stoppage time.

Best way to win games is by scoring goals, not keeping the ball. You only have to lose it once for them to score. If you’re 3 goals up you can do what you like.

That's not strictly true. We put ourselves under unnecessary pressure by the likes of Tielemans, Maguire and Maddison playing passes that weren't on instead of keeping it simple. We were giving it away very cheaply. 

On 27/02/2019 at 15:22, Grebfromgrebland said:

The difference between this and the previous games is that we had some luck.

Puel was very unlucky.

I said this in my comments, and on the ratings page. It did seem that luck conspired against Puel as the pressure built on him. 

We played far better against Spuds, Liverpool and Man Ure, and even Palace.

The two goals we scored would have been saved or missed in those matches, and the chances Brighton had those teams were scoring.

Some mangers are lucky, some are unlucky. Fingers crossed Rodgers is a lucky manager (let's forget Gerrards slip!).

Edited by ThaiFox
  • Like 2

Went over for both Palace and Brighton.

To start with Saturday we actually played quite well in the 1st half but as soon as the opening goal went in the atmosphere turned very hostile. Was appalling how bad we were after the equalizer. Said it to someone beside me that we could be left open as our corner was cleared and they scored their second. Maguire is not as much benefit for corners as he's made out to be. I was happy the 4th goal went in as we would have moaned about dubious penalty claims afterwards. The 4th goal meant there was no excuses or giving out to the ref.

Post match was a bit depressing and the toxic post match fall out meant it was curtains for Claude. I was hoping given the season we had that we would hold out until the summer but we may have won about 1 game the rest of the season had he stayed. I believe he had a tough job and not as bad as made out but it was the right decision.

Onto Tuesday. Bit of relief. Gray got a great team goal. Tielemans is worth his weight in gold for moments like that. Brighton though were much better than the awful show they put up last season. Knockaert looked lively and if it hadn't been for Murray making a pigs ear of his attempts it might have been a bad night again. That said we looked that bit more dangerous all through. Barnes could have had a hat trick but he has come on a lot since last years recall. His ability to take on defenders is exciting for us.

Our quick one touch play like for Gray's goal and his chance not long after was sublime.

A bit like the Swansea game Appleton took charge in after Craig. Hanging on for a finish in a 2-1 win but lifted the doom and gloom.

In both games Kasper did a servicable Gordon Banks impression. Defence is less than solid at the minute. 8 goals in 3 games with a few easy ones missed by Brighton. Ricardo was a bit shaky and turned over easily. Been immense the last few weeks overall though. Evans a great addition but Maguire a bit undercooked. The Diego Maradona impression circa 1986 was good though!

Thought Maddison wasn't as bad as people made out on Tuesday but you can understand why fans are annoyed. Lacks of bit of aggression and workrate for all his trickery. 

Gray was decent and active throughout but it was the exact same under Claude at first but he was inconsistent after. Hoping it's a sign of things to come but we've been down that round too often before.

Barnes looks the real deal. The amount of misses was frustrating for us all not least himself but he's doen his cause the world of good the last fortnight. Not a dig at Gray but Barnes has put together 3 decent displays in a row together.And yet some were still giving out. Love what Albrighton brings to the team but he might find it hard to get back in. Must say that Mendy was a calming influence when introduced. N'didi is the preferred option clearly but I would rule Mendy out just yet.

We should be safe now so Brendan has picked a good time to join us. There is a lot of promise in the team but crucially a lot of issues to be ironed out. Need to get some consistency going again. It's definitely in us.

All in all an interesting trip.Never a dull moment is there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/02/2019 at 09:57, Cardiff_Fox said:

You can tell those who aren't leaving for trains because they do this thing of standing still on the steps if something happens on the pitch. Being five seats from the row it's annoying as ****. 

Anyone leaving for Kettering or wellinborough  have to leave really early 

The second goal was exactly the sort of goal we've been capable of but haven't shown enough. Tielemans- Ricardo- Maddison- Vardy. No player took more than two touches, all moved into space and quickly released the ball giving Brighton no chance to set themselves.

Not a counter-attack but a swift move that caught the opposition out. We've been crying out for it for months.

• Like 1