Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Watford Away Post Match Thread 2-1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Thought this earlier and I think it's a mix of delivery and not enough players getting in the box.

I often find we just get it in to the box (from left or right) and 'hope' there's a player there, as opposed to targeting a player or aiming it to a desired area where players should aim to be/run in to. Pereira seems to pick better balls but I think Chilwell sometimes gets caught in two minds on whether to loft it in or drill it in hard and low.

He'll live and learn though and eventually we'll profit from it more regularly. I sometimes think he needs to shoot and just have a go. He did it against Arsenal and got a bit lucky with a slight deflection but he gets in to positions where if you drill it low across the keeper towards goal you have a chance of scoring or the keeper perhaps palming it back in to a dangerous area.

I think overall we really just do need to be much more clinical in front of goal. We create a ridiculous amount of chances but clearly don't score enough and take ownership of those kind of situations. Not expecting us to score every chance because that's impossible and unrealistic, but the fact we've only scored more than twice on two occasions this season (and lost one of them). That screams volumes to me about our lack of ruthlessness on goal. I'm hoping with Rodgers at the club we become more attacking and prolific.

Our movement in the box when crosses come in is really poor too. Nobody ever attempts to get across their marker, attack the front post or check their run and wait for a cut back, they just hover on the far side of the defender and hope the cross makes it through. Granted a lot of the time the deliveries could be better but our movement off the ball, in the box and everywhere else, is so half-hearted and predictable

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Guest said:

Our movement in the box when crosses come in is really poor too. Nobody ever attempts to get across their marker, attack the front post or check their run and wait for a cut back, they just hover on the far side of the defender and hope the cross makes it through. Granted a lot of the time the deliveries could be better but our movement off the ball, in the box and everywhere else, is so half-hearted and predictable

It seems like every cross this season, there is no one doing that.

• Like 1

Very disappointed that we just couldn't play safe for another minute or so. That kick from Kasper, less about said it the better.

BUT there were positives and when we got into our stride, we started playing some really nice football. I think Rodgers when he has a proper duration of time to implement his ideas, will make us a very strong side. I do have one reservation however and that is the player's fitness.

Aside from how we play the game, that has got to be one of BR's main objectives to improve in the near future, otherwise get people in who will be up to the challenge. If we aren't ruthless about things, we won't ever progress.

Edited by Robin JD Popley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Blaming Puel for a team's performance who were playing under a different manager and a different system is not right

New manager bounce is a thing that happen, not with us this time

Why is that? Because our squad's fingerprints are all over this

Its early days to say anything, but soon I hope the penny will drop and people will see that we are in transition as a club and that is bigger than the manager.

Will add. I got stick on here for "blaming the players". If the same shit happens under different managers, how am i wrong?

Btw, im positive about our future with this squad in general, just think its a work in progress

I think I may not have conveyed my thoughts as well as I should have.

I meant to be more positive; the thrust of my argument being that Ginger can’t wave a magic wand overnight.

I agree with your last paragraph; there we are ‘on the same page’

its ****ing windy tonight 

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Blaming Puel for a team's performance who were playing under a different manager and a different system is not right

New manager bounce is a thing that happen, not with us this time

Why is that? Because our squad's fingerprints are all over this

Its early days to say anything, but soon I hope the penny will drop and people will see that we are in transition as a club and that is bigger than the manager.

Will add. I got stick on here for "blaming the players". If the same shit happens under different managers, how am i wrong?

Btw, im positive about our future with this squad in general, just think its a work in progress

its been said ona few occasions that the squad have been undertrained and that the training lacked any kind of depth... that’s not the sort of thing that fixes itself in 4 days...

• Like 1

I was at the game - Vardy played very well, hope he’s not injured. Plus points all over the pitch, it just wasn’t our day. Schmeichel could maybe just clear big & long rather than try targeted clearances that sometimes go to the opposition.  Good luck for the run in to the season. We’ll survive to fight another day!

Edited by Rutland Fox
More positive

16 minutes ago, GloverFox said:

Hahahaha ... it’s funny, 1st game in charge of a struggling, defensively minded (and poor at that!) team and it’s melt down at a loss to a decent side! ... c’mon guys let’s start believing again!

Yeah.  Hilarious. 

I'm laughing on the inside.

381682257_images(1).jpeg.21ff7977d665fe22101b47f2006847a5.jpeg

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

Different Manager same problems.

Poor Goal keeping.

No physical presence.

No pace and not just at the back.

Decision making poor all over the pitch. None more than Kaspers schoolboy error at the end.

Poor positioning at set plays. No one willing to gamble in the box.

We need to sign a real leader for the middle of the park. Someone with experience and the stature to direct others around him. Another Cambiaso if possible.

I've said it for a while now, our fitness levels have dropped below most of the opposition. We need to get the sports science up and running again and the players fitter.

i know it's early days for BR. But these are things that need to happen regardless of who is in charge. Otherwise we'll always look pretty without any cutting edge.

Our Transfer business will never be as important as this Summer if we are to kick on to the next level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Crispin LA said:

I feel that Brendon tried to bring on his style of play to quickly and the players found it hard and didn't know what to do. Should have stuck to what we know and the players enjoy. 

It was the same style and performance as normal. The shape was different but that was it.

Our issues can’t be solved with two training sessions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MPH said:

its been said ona few occasions that the squad have been undertrained and that the training lacked any kind of depth... that’s not the sort of thing that fixes itself in 4 days...

Thats a fair enough point.

Dont know if it excuses the performance though as under that training regime we beat Man City and drew against Liverpool

10 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Thats a fair enough point.

Dont know if it excuses the performance though as under that training regime we beat Man City and drew against Liverpool

give it a couple of weeks and i think we will start to play more consistently that way

Maddison and Tielemans I think can really create a good partnership together, they both have the ability to pick a pass, think it's just going to take time for them to click. They both need to stop avoiding shooting and over complicating the game at times, Maddison being particularly guilty of this. 

Ricardo was great in his wingback position, created some great opportunities for us. Chilwell was getting into great positions but was lacking the final ball more than usual, seemed also reluctant to run the channel as much as usual. 

Morgan isn't suited to our style anymore, we need Soyuncu or Benkovic who have the ability to pass the ball to play in that position, especially with Kasper being poor at distribution. 

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Maddison and Tielemans I think can really create a good partnership together, they both have the ability to pick a pass, think it's just going to take time for them to click. They both need to stop avoiding shooting and over complicating the game at times, Maddison being particularly guilty of this. 

Ricardo was great in his wingback position, created some great opportunities for us. Chilwell was getting into great positions but was lacking the final ball more than usual, seemed also reluctant to run the channel as much as usual. 

Morgan isn't suited to our style anymore, we need Soyuncu or Benkovic who have the ability to pass the ball to play in that position, especially with Kasper being poor at distribution. 

Agree about Morgan in this system. I think Rodgers will want us to play higher up the pitch when we have the ball and Morgan has always really struggled with that.

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Agree about Morgan in this system. I think Rodgers will want us to play higher up the pitch when we have the ball and Morgan has always really struggled with that.

His yard or so of pace has gone and he can't keep the space behind him. With ball playing CB's means we can pass it further afield quicker, so many times we should've switched play to Ricardo or Chilwell and missed the opportunity passing it along the back.

I'm excited by the 3 at the back formation. But will take a while to work properly imo. 

Chillwell and Riccardo both went only so far forward. Didn't really get in the box munch. Then we'd go sideways a lot. 

Not sure the midfield worked either. Rate Tielmans a lot and think Ndidi has improved with him. 

Maddison on the left seems to be just put there to accommodate him. It doesn't really work for me. 

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Different Manager same problems.

He's been in charge for less than a week

Poor Goal keeping.

Kasper made some great saves, Watford took their chances well.

No physical presence.

Disagree...we picked up some inevitable yellow, and Maguire in particular was lucky not to concede a penalty given that Moss penalised Wes for similarly holding against West Ham in 2016. 

No pace and not just at the back.

Vards scored a classic Vards goal...based upon pace off the shoulder of the last man circa 2015/16

Decision making poor all over the pitch. None more than Kaspers schoolboy error at the end.

Actually, as dull as the game was there were some very creative and promising moments. The through ball from Tielemans was exquisite and the goal was every bit worth the admission fee despite the loss. Also, Madders played some wonderfully placed balls into the box - which is precisely what we need. 

Poor positioning at set plays. No one willing to gamble in the box.

Agree. Evans simply needed to glance over his shoulder to avert the inevitable Deeney opener. 

We need to sign a real leader for the middle of the park. Someone with experience and the stature to direct others around him. Another Cambiaso if possible.

Tielemans has everything we need as a CM...shame that the loan won't result in a permanent signing.

I've said it for a while now, our fitness levels have dropped below most of the opposition. We need to get the sports science up and running again and the players fitter.

Pure speculation, but I would venture that Puel focussed on tactical play in training. Agree, the side seems beleaguered. Perhaps revisit the Jock Wallace sand dune method?

i know it's early days for BR. 

Yes, you could say that, since he got the job on Wednesday was it?

But these are things that need to happen regardless of who is in charge. Otherwise we'll always look pretty without any cutting edge.

Unless of course they make the changes that they were employed to do - being the general idea of sacking and installing new management. :blink:

Otherwise we'll always look pretty without any cutting edge.

I'm not sure we looked "pretty" this afternoon, but as I said, there were some encouraging signs. 

Our Transfer business will never be as important as this Summer if we are to kick on to the next level.

Actually, retaining and utilising our existing nascent talent and our new managers demonstrable ability to nurture that is far more important than his worryingly erratic forays into the world of recruitment.