Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Watford Away Post Match Thread 2-1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I can’t quite work out how we don’t score more from Chilwell’s rampaging runs down the left? Is he too quick for the others to get into the box? Is his final ball so poor?

I don’t get it. He gets forward brilliantly but we spurn so many chances

Thought this earlier and I think it's a mix of delivery and not enough players getting in the box.

I often find we just get it in to the box (from left or right) and 'hope' there's a player there, as opposed to targeting a player or aiming it to a desired area where players should aim to be/run in to. Pereira seems to pick better balls but I think Chilwell sometimes gets caught in two minds on whether to loft it in or drill it in hard and low.

He'll live and learn though and eventually we'll profit from it more regularly. I sometimes think he needs to shoot and just have a go. He did it against Arsenal and got a bit lucky with a slight deflection but he gets in to positions where if you drill it low across the keeper towards goal you have a chance of scoring or the keeper perhaps palming it back in to a dangerous area.

I think overall we really just do need to be much more clinical in front of goal. We create a ridiculous amount of chances but clearly don't score enough and take ownership of those kind of situations. Not expecting us to score every chance because that's impossible and unrealistic, but the fact we've only scored more than twice on two occasions this season (and lost one of them). That screams volumes to me about our lack of ruthlessness on goal. I'm hoping with Rodgers at the club we become more attacking and prolific.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

The experience in that back three and Kasper should not be conceding goals like that. Nothing was going to change overnight, but you can see the scars left behind by Puels reign. There’s zero intensity in our play, and everyone just stands there waiting for the ball to come to them. 

Food for thought for Brendan, lots to consider and lots to work on, but this is exactly why he’s been brought to the club. 

This.

It was a poor performance, with the exception of a few. (Tielimans looks a very good player in the making, Vardy scores with his only touch ffs).

Ginger does have a lot of work to do but that’s why been brought in now; to see where the problems lie, and fix them.

Puel’s fingerprints all over that performance from a team lacking confidence and direction as far as I am concerned.

Slow build up play is the major problem; it encourages too much thinking time on the ball which which he needs to train out of them. 

Run and chase more, you lazy ****ers; play first time balls and things will improve.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

I think there was a couple of times today when Chilwell would have been  better off just taking a shot himself. He has only scored once so perhaps is reluctant to shoot and always looks for the cross, but he could have troubled the keeper more than once today by shooting.

Not that it matters, now, but what do people think of their first goal?

If VAR was used in the game, it would've been disallowed as the goalscorer's arm was offside; or was it a fair decision to allow it?

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

If VAR was used in the game, it would've been disallowed as the goalscorer's arm was offside; or was it a fair decision to allow it?

I believe It has to be a part of the body you can score with.

Can't score with your arm

6 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

I believe It has to be a part of the body you can score with.

Can't score with your arm

I know with the latter, but it still looked offside as he was using to to try and get to the ball first before anyone else.

Get your point though, mind.

-

Wonder what Chris Sutton thought of the performance?

Oh, wait, would rather listen to forks being heavily scratched against a plate than lidten to his viewpoints on football..

15 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

This.

It was a poor performance, with the exception of a few. (Tielimans looks a very good player in the making, Vardy scores with his only touch ffs).

Ginger does have a lot of work to do but that’s why been brought in now; to see where the problems lie, and fix them.

Puel’s fingerprints all over that performance from a team lacking confidence and direction as far as I am concerned.

Slow build up play is the major problem; it encourages too much thinking time on the ball which which he needs to train out of them. 

Run and chase more, you lazy ****ers; play first time balls and things will improve.

Totally agree with you, Puel has certainly left his philosophy with the player's, but on the plus side that will change now BR is here 

23 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I have to assume you mean about me saying 'no-one would have complained'.

Now, you'd have to an argumentative tit to pretend (or base a response on the possibility that) I meant absolutely, literally no-one. I meant a number small enough as to make your 'damned if he does/doesn't' comment invalid. In other words, I don't think he would have be 'damned' if he'd started with the same line-up as Tuesday, or a very similar line up with the same formation. Would you have damned him, or you an interlocutor for the awkward idiot squad?

What I heard people wanted from Rodgers was (to a lesser extent) random team selections, less messing with a winning line-up (in which case he out Pueled Puel) but much more importantly than this, more effort/energy/passion/pressing/gumption. On the latter, plus ça change eh?

Still there's one definite improvement - all* of us can now understand when our manager explains why he thinks we lost.

* for 'all', just sort of reverse my 'no-one' definition

there’s just no pleasing some people on Foxestalk is my point - if he’d of stuck with the team that won on tuesday and we had lost then FT would be full of people complaining about why bother getting a manager in if he doesn’t change things?

Besides, we all know that win was nothing other than  a reaction to Puel going.

but really when is the best time for him to get the team playing his way?  you can talk about it all you like on the training pitch  but it have to bring it out sooner or later.

hopefully no one was expecting miracles over night

Edited by MPH

59 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There could be an argument that we payed pretty poorly first half and then tweaked a few things for the  second half which broadly put us in control of it. having moved them around for much of the half, we got stong and could have pinched it late on as they tired. 

Given that tne manager hasn’t had long to work with them, this approach could have been expected ??. 

Don't think we were that good second half. Only after we scored did we look a threat at all. 

The goal we conceded is something we are probably likely to see more of if we try to play this game of playing out from the back. Kasper hasn't got the distribution to find those passes and our defenders aren't good enough on the ball unless they learn to adapt. 

Think it's the right way to play especially at home, but I'd like to see more considered approach away from home especially in the last minutes of the game 

12 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I thought you can’t be offside if it’s your arm because you can’t score with it

14 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Blaming Puel for a team's performance who were playing under a different manager and a different system is not right

New manager bounce is a thing that happen, not with us this time

Why is that? Because our squad's fingerprints are all over this

Its early days to say anything, but soon I hope the penny will drop and people will see that we are in transition as a club and that is bigger than the manager.

Will add. I got stick on here for "blaming the players". If the same shit happens under different managers, how am i wrong?

Btw, im positive about our future with this squad in general, just think its a work in progress

He’s history...let it go, let it go...Lalala, etc ?

This was a more Puel performance than most games under Puel!

He’s gone - players are going to take a bit of time for the scars to heal, but we’ll be fine. 

I was there, it was pants. 

B6C3E22C-F064-4A00-A618-0C6130D1463B.jpeg

16 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I thought you can’t be offside if it’s your arm because you can’t score with it

I know he didn't score with it, but surely it was still a disadvantage for the player as he was using it to prepare for the ball delivery to try to get to the ball first when the set-piece taker had kicked the ball?

Was probably a 50/50 scenario, it could've been disallowed in another game etc,

6 minutes ago, Milo said:

He’s history...let it go, let it go...Lalala, etc ?

This was a more Puel performance than most games under Puel!

He’s gone - players are going to take a bit of time for the scars to heal, but we’ll be fine. 

I was there, it was pants. 

B6C3E22C-F064-4A00-A618-0C6130D1463B.jpeg

Who is the one not letting it go if when we lose under Rodgers we blame it on Puel?

You are talking bollocks mate

When we sacked Ranieri did we blame him for how we beat Liverpool?

3 minutes ago, Jacafox said:

You must be very young!

46 on Tuesday since you ask.  Happy birthday to me?  Why thank you.

I just look really young.

We've had lots of teams that are worse but I can't remember one that keeps shooting itself in the foot so often as this one.  Countless points thrown away this year.

Can you tell me a more frustrating Leicester City vintage then?

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Who is the one not letting it go if when we lose under Rodgers we blame it on Puel?

You are talking bollocks mate

When we sacked Ranieri did we blame him for how we beat Liverpool?

I’m just saying that the players have been abused for a year and it will take a bit of time to get them back. 

No drama, no bollocks, we’ll be fine. 

But of steel, bit of guile and all good. 

Enjoy the ride, don’t look back. ?

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

46 on Tuesday since you ask.  Happy birthday to me?  Why thank you.

I just look really young.

We've had lots of teams that are worse but I can't remember one that keeps shooting itself in the foot so often as this one.  Countless points thrown away this year.

Can you tell me a more frustrating Leicester City vintage then?

How about under Holloway? What about Megson the ginger Mourihno? How about Frank McClintock? How about Rob Kelly? How about Pauli Sousa?

• Like 2

My views are similar to many posted already, but I'll post anyway.

I don't think 3 at the back (or with the 3 we have at the back) was a smart move by BR, particularly in this game. Chilwell seemed to me to be palying too far forawrd and in first half paricularly, Watford exploited our right side. 

Too little movement in first half and far to many passes for the sake of a pass; Evans never looked to move the ball forward. Maguire & Chilwell didn't seem to be on the same wavelength; there was one moment in first half when  Maguire (unecessarily) was getting cross with Chilwell. A few minutes alter when Chilwell ran where Maguire wanted, Maguire miskicked into touch.

Chilwell was full of full of energy throughout but he needs considerable improvement in his final ball and when to deliver it.

Maddison (apart from several moments in 2nd half) was too slow and never looked to play the ball forward. I don't think Ndidi is the player he has been; reasonably good defensively but otherwise poor.

This formation did not work for Barnes (or at least his role in it); Gray did well when he replaced him with his pace causing problems for Watford.

I hope we can find a way to keep Tielamans next season; he is good now but we will only improve.

Finally, for Watford Deeney was outstanding. It seems amazing he rarely got a game when Silva was manager. I remember we were trying to buy him  a few seasons ago before we bought Slimani but Watford were wanting too much money. We could do with somebody lke him for next season...

1 minute ago, Harry the Cat said:

How about under Holloway? What about Megson the ginger Mourihno? How about Frank McClintock? How about Rob Kelly? How about Pauli Sousa?

I think this lot are more frustrating as they are much better than those teams but they keep chucking games away like they did today.  I'm not just talking about bad teams.

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

Kasper's distribution has always been suspect.

Is he undroppable?

Ward should get a few starts between now and the end of the season.

Except his distribution was very decent save that final fatal kick. And even then, the goal could've been avoided. 

Kasper and Morgan, as much as some of you want to make it so, were not the reason we lost today. But I know that will fall on deaf ears, so I'll stop myself there. 

• Like 1