Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WarehamFox

John McGinn

I've gone to a couple of Villa matches this season with my Villa-supporting mate - and McGinn was Villa's stand-out player both times.

I've no idea how well he'd transition to the PL but he looked a cut above at Championship level. Seemed to be an all-rounder: quick, accurate passing, a few clever through balls, kept possession well, strong at tackling and closing down. Didn't seem to have much goal threat that I could see (not one for making runs into the box).

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1

We need more players with bite in midfield for sure. According to fans on Villa’s forum he is the engine, who is full of running and never stops working. He’s got 2 goals and 8 assists this season which is a very good return for a central midfielder. 

If we persist with 4-3-3 then we need DM’s, creative players and box to box players as options imo. 

DM: Choudhury & Ndidi 

Creativity: Tielemans & Maddison

Box to Box: McGinn & McGregor? 

Edited by foxes21

5 hours ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Tielemans has to be the priority but would happily take mcginn too. Rodgers will want a Joe Allen type midfielder to keep us ticking over and seems the right fit for that. Especially as mendy only has a year left on his contract and Rodgers is obviously a big fan. 

McGinn or McGregor. Probably will come down to price if what Alf Bentley says above is true.

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've gone to a couple of Villa matches this season with my Villa-supporting mate - and McGinn was Villa's stand-out player both times.

I've no idea how well he'd transition to the PL but he looked a cut above at Championship level. Seemed to be an all-rounder: quick, accurate passing, a few clever through balls, kept possession well, strong at tackling and closing down. Didn't seem to have much goal threat that I could see (not one for making runs into the box).

Along with Abraham he's been Villa's best player. People may laugh but his style of play reminds me of N'Golo Kante he his very good at making tackles and turning defence into attack. He also a really strange run on him that I think he confuses opposition with, certainly proved me wrong.  

Edited by Leicesterpool

23 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Along with Abraham he's been Villa's best player. People may laugh but his style of play reminds me of N'Golo Kante he his very good at making tackles and turning defence into attack. He also a really strange run on him that I think he confuses opposition with, certainly proved me wrong.  

No wonder Rodgers was rumored to be so angry. If Rodgers is still interested then it may workout for both he and McGinn. Karma's a ............ Lawell.

That Blake quote is awesome.The passion that man has.

Edited by SO1

On 04/03/2019 at 22:40, Ian Nacho said:

Looks a class act from what I've seen. Would piss some Villa fans off too which is always good. 

He is a class act.  I saw him play a few games at Hibs and he was always the star performer in central midfield.  A battling midfielder, with an eye for a good (forward!) pass.  My mate, a Hibs season ticket holder, could never understand how they managed to hold on for him for so long - Celtic were always sniffing.  He heard that the Celtic Board refusing to back Rodgers with a significant bid for McGinn last year, was one of the main reasons for his leaving.

Edited by bald reynard

1 hour ago, bald reynard said:

He is a class act.  I saw him play a few games at Hibs and he was always the star performer in central midfield.  A battling midfielder, with an eye for a good (forward!) pass.  My mate, a Hibs season ticket holder, could never understand how they managed to hold on for him for so long - Celtic were always sniffing.  He heard that the Celtic Board refusing to back Rodgers with a significant bid for McGinn last year, was one of the main reasons for his leaving.

I'd say it's odds on we'll be looking at McGinn. Rodgers is a known admirer and the Villa will be easier to buy from, than Celtic. They won't demand a big price hike because of sour grapes!

Being Scottish I've obviously saw quite a bit of him. He's a really good player. Box to box. Has goals in him but will roll up his sleeves and put a shift in. Having said that, I'd only like to see him in a 3 man midfield. Him and Ndidi would maybe be too defensive and him and Tielemans maybe too attacking but him in alongside those two? Perfect balance.