Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Chilwell & Maguire in England squad.

Part of Gareth Southgate's success has been his creation of a good squad culture - this World Cup and during the nation's league, nearly everyone in the squad has come out and said how happy they are, there's even been little news pieces that went into the squad during the World Cup which gave us a glimpse of it. 

The way Southgate has managed to keep that atmosphere running is by keeping a measure of consistency in his selections. He largely has a core group that he relies on, and they are a well-acquainted, happy group. This means that the usual England scattergun, *x players are doing well lets call them up once or twice and then drop them* is largely limited to the fringes of the squad. I think this has been one of the driving forces behind England's success - they are not the finest individuals compared to Spain for example, but they are a cohesive team.

This does not mean that Southgate will always give seniority picks for seniority's sake (remember, not too long ago he revamped the whole team), but he is less focussed on current form but rather quality. If Maddison and Wan-Bissaka keep improving, if Ward-Prowse and Gunn prove to be better than just a good run of form, they will eventually become key parts of the team.

In the meantime, there is no rush.

• Like 1

I've been a bit disappointed with Maddison of late although the slower paced international style would suit him more.

If the squad is based on current form then Chilwell possibly and Maguire definitely should not be in.

If Vardy hadn't retired he could be sure of a place …….. on the bench.

If we want regular players in the England side then we really need Youri to get his UK nationality paperwork in place prior to our no-deal Brexit lol     

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Plays for Chelsea. Almost surprised Drinkwater hasn’t been called up. 

Come off it, there's players from Stoke, Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham, Leicester and Everton in that squad, that argument doesn't apply any more. 

Edited by nwl fox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

Pretty sure he has created the most goal scoring chances across all leagues in Europe or England can't be doing that bad.

Those stats don't match his overall performances though.

His set pieces especially have been crap recently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I genuinely can't work what you mean?

It’s a typical measly mouthed response when an individual who doesn’t like a player is presented with opposing facts that don’t match their viewpoint. Facts that suggest he hasn’t been that bad. 

Watch these stats continue to be stupidly high but see a more tangible outcome in a better system that plays to our strengths. It’s his first season and his stats speak for themselves. He’ll get his chance. 

As far as Chilly and Harry are concerned, unlike some on here, Southgate knows what he’s doing, he isn’t stupid. He’ll not have suddenly thought they’re crap no thanks. Whether they start is one thing, being dropped give your head a wobble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

When was the last time Maddison had a standout game?

About October, hence why he doesn't deserve a call up.

Simple.

I'm not sure I said he deserved a call up? Though if I did please quote me the bit where I said it.  I just think it's churlish to be as harsh on him as you seem to be and to ignore the facts so blatantly in front of you because your personal opinion is that he's not been great. He currently has created more chances than Hazard, Salah, David Silva, Messi, Ronaldo, Pogba, Sterling, etc. He has achieved this at 22 in his first full season in the premier league and at a team that by all accounts hasn't been firing on all cylinders. I just don't see how he could have achieved this if he's not had a good game since October?

Stats are not the be all and end all but I like them because sometimes they force me to question my own viewpoints and in the past I've realised that sometimes I've been guilty of confirmation bias.

Like I said, I don't think he was robbed by not getting a call up but to suggest he's not had a very promising first season seems unfair. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Not calling up Maddison is absurd. 

It's not really though is it, he's just nowhere near good enough for an England cap, his performances lately are barely good enough for us. If he takes the chip off his shoulder, stops believing his own hype,  works hard and actually listens to his coach, he has all the attributes to get there eventually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1