Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

If we want to break top 6, then the ball playing ability is more important than how good they defend.

This is the reason why man utd traditionally a huge club, a successful club are willing to buy maguire for what you consider silly money.

So you happy for us to downgrade our CB for a measly 35m that you wont see a penny off?

Is it? To me we have two defenders who bring the ball forward. It is a bonus Maguire can do this, but not essential to us breaking into the top 6. Being able to keep clean sheets is just as important.

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

outstanding post, some people dont just think and are like ooh thats a big number.

I understand it from other fans, but for our own to be saying he's not worth X amount really grinds me. Everyone, including myself have absolutely no idea of the finances inside the club. None of us are in a position to say what he is/isn't worth to our club. 

My guess is that we don't want to sell, don't need the money, so have arrived at a obscene figure at which point Top/Brendan think t's worth it. 

The worst one is the Van Dijk comparison. 

- less time on his contract 

- refused to train and play

- when he did play he didn't try

- very outspoken in the media against Saints.

I'll be gutted if we lose Harry at any price. We are one quality winger away from challenging the top 6 and possibly even contesting that 4th spot. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Is it? To me we have two defenders who bring the ball forward. It is a bonus Maguire can do this, but not essential to us breaking into the top 6. Being able to keep clean sheets is just as important.

Not just about bringing the ball our. Maguire steps up when we need him most, for us and England. When things are getting hard he's always looking to get on the ball and make something happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, L3n9a said:

Not just about bringing the ball our. Maguire steps up when we need him most, for us and England. When things are getting hard he's always looking to get on the ball and make something happen.

But it won't be the difference between top 6 or not. I reiterate, we need to keep more clean sheets, particularly against weaker opposition. 

1 minute ago, MGLCFC said:

But it won't be the difference between top 6 or not. I reiterate, we need to keep more clean sheets, particularly against weaker opposition. 

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. I wouldn't say Harry is an issue in defence. I'd say our bigger issue was not being able to break down defences. Don't get me wrong defensively he isn't world class but he's also not average. Defensively we could do a lot worse imo. 

Who would you replace him with out of interest? 

2 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

If bookmakers are suddenly quoting odds thats bad news.  It means its no longer the favoured outcome.

The odds shift with the amount of money placed on an outcome. 

With all of the Twitter stories today of how it’s a done deal, it naturally increases the opposite outcome of staying...

I’d chuck some cash on it. No one respectfully in the know has said anything about us accepting a bid or a medical happening tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

If bookmakers are suddenly quoting odds thats bad news.  It means its no longer the favoured outcome.

The clue is that they are accepting stakes on staying to twice their normal max liability. It means Utd fans, trusting their ITK, have lumped on heavily on Maguire to join at very short odds, so they are now happy to offer the other side of the bet to balance their books.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

If It is on dunk yes its a clear downgrade.

Also forward play can keep clean sheets given attack is the best form of defense, if you harassing the other teams box, then you dont need to worry about defending when you keep the ball.  The top teams who get ball playing defenders and make them move up the pitch vs the bottom teams who keep them back and prefer out and out defenders, who tends to get the more clean sheets?

Will we promote one of our reserve defenders instead? only if rodgers think's they will be good enough, we are not privy to their performance in training and behind closed doors games.  If rodgers tells the board he is happy to sell maguire, then fine, and if is happy to promote one the backup CB's then also fine, its a wait and see on that one, but if the sun is right it looks like we not going to promote from within.

Edited by Chrysalis

4 minutes ago, L3n9a said:

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. I wouldn't say Harry is an issue in defence. I'd say our bigger issue was not being able to break down defences. Don't get me wrong defensively he isn't world class but he's also not average. Defensively we could do a lot worse imo. 

Who would you replace him with out of interest? 

Lascelles, if we could get him.

31 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Nowhere is taking bets though?!

Paddy Power are - 7/1.

I’ve just put a tenner on. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did go but Top being stubborn and holding out for something ridiculous like £90m is a real, real possibility too. It certainly won’t be as straight forward as these click-bait sh*t rags may like to think. 

Worth a tenner at least. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, whitlock said:

The odds shift with the amount of money placed on an outcome. 

With all of the Twitter stories today of how it’s a done deal, it naturally increases the opposite outcome of staying...

I’d chuck some cash on it. No one respectfully in the know has said anything about us accepting a bid or a medical happening tomorrow. 

yes, but before you couldnt even place a bet on "to stay" as the bookies didnt provide any "to stay" odds to bet on.  I expect in the past they lost far too much money on "to stay" bets so now block them unless of course they believe a player is actually moving, hence my comment.

So the decision to allow the bets is nothing to do with what people are betting as they had zero bets due to not allowing it..

Just read Brucey's comment yeah the betting patterns on moves away from the club if they seen a spike would possibly trigger this as those are clear indicators a move is more likely.

Edited by Chrysalis

I really don't think we will miss Maguire as much as people think we could; unless we get whooped week in week out shipping goals for opponents fun with teams strolling through the middle of the park. He didn't have a great season last season. Too often looked a bit disinterested particularly after the transfer rumours started around Christmas time. He never really excelled and in the match day 'leader board' people here placed him 12th best over the season. 

Shame we cannot sell Maguire for £90mn and then buy the better CB for £100mn. That'd be placing a marker.

• Like 1

Maguire for 75 to 80 million is great business for us. Gives us options to bring through our 2 new centre backs from last year, or money to strengthen in other areas. 

Ake or Lascelles would be great options in defence. 

McGregor looks likely for 8 + 10 cover. 

And then a decent winger would be a brilliant transfer window. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Cheers Geoff?

Looks to have been some wild bs from the S*n and other sources. As per, shown to be wrong.  Cheers for clarifying that and putting us clear on what's going on.

Cheers geoff just had 20 to stay at 7.1

Edited by cropstonfox

So we're back to where we started 12 hours ago then. That was fun.

Interesting to see if he is involved on Tuesday vs Scunthorpe. The longer this drags out the more confident I am that we'll keep him.

• Like 1