Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

1 hour ago, L3n9a said:

That's all well and good, but considering we have absolutely no financial need to sell any or our players, why would we sell our best player at market value or even slightly above? 

There is no obligation to sell a player that another team wants for a price that is market value. You sell them at a price that is worth it for us and the consensus must be that close to £100m is just classed as good business within the club which id agree with. 

Actually we do.

We've spent £80m already, it has to come from somewhere, we have to comply with ffp and my guess is that it was spent against the promise of Maguire's fee, either this year or next.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Soooo if we sell Maguire for 80m and then give Hull 20m and then buy Dunk for 45m we've only really made 15m out of the deal. 

And we bought him for £17m....

As i've said with the reported figures, £80m isn't really enough all things considered.

Edited by Matt

2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Soooo if we sell Maguire for 80m and then give Hull 20m and then buy Dunk for 45m we've only really made 15m out of the deal. 

But we paid 17 for harry

so it’s actually dunk for maguire + 2m

like I said before. Not good

and I am of the mind that if we do sell maguire we can’t rely on the 2 young guys and should bring in somebody else. But not dunk for 45. That just seems ridiculous

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Totally agree with this. I know we want to break top 6 but we should give these two players 6 months to prove themselves, and only sign another CB in January in case they both turn out to be not up to scratch. And I'd be shocked if that turned out to be the case as Soyuncu has already looked quite good when he's played for us, and Benkovic impressed in Scotland. We could even just start Evans and Morgan together because to be totally honest, we often looked more slid at the back with those two as a pairing! Plus Amartey or even Fuchs could deputise if we had injuries.

I've got no problems with Maguire going. He's been a good player for us, but hardly in the Kante / Mahrez / Vardy bracket of top class players. In fact  I'd say that overall Robert Huth was a better defender for us if you compared his spell to Maguire. Huth was key in keeping us up and winning the league for us.

If we get that money, blow it on a true Mahrez replacement. That's what's missing from the first team.

Love your posts Strider but I can't agree with this one I'm afraid.

Those saying we'd be ok with Benkovic and Soyuncu, where's the evidence? We are a side with top six ambitions, can we rely on two inexperienced centre backs, one of which has no Premier League experience, I'm not so sure. When we signed Benkovic and Soyuncu we instantly knew we had brought them for the future.

There's about four centre backs in the Premier League that are ready to make the step up in class, Dunk, Ake, Lascelles and Tarkowski, we'd be foolish not to sign one of those players. Waiting till January isn't usually an ideal thing to do, we all know it's difficult to sign players in that window.

As for saying we could even just start with Evans and Morgan together, no, no way.

If we sell Maguire and get Dunk then an Evans/Dunk CB partnership would see us set perfectly for this season and the future. Personally this season I'd loan out one of Soyuncu and Benkovic, have the other as 3rd/4th choice along with Wes. Then next season we'll have Dunk, Evans, Benkovic and Soyuncu as our centre back options, Wes will either leave or retire, then that would see us set for the next 5+ years unless someone comes in with a £80 million bid for one of them lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Looks as though we'll have to pluck someone else out of obscurity and bring them on. Disappointed with Maguire given the changes in playing personnel and manager I'd thought he'd stay another season.

Bet Rodgers knew the game plan when he was hired. This is not a surprise.

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Don't think it will be £20million. As I understand it would be nearer £8million would have thought from reported figures when the original transfer happened? 

6 minutes ago, brucey said:

These two are genuine ITKs with proven track records. 

(this is not a joke, I’d trust these particular accounts over the Sun any day)

That first kid, if you do a little digging he's been told off on the reddevils subreddit before for spreading misinformation...

All in all, unless it's from Percy, bigdaddy or one of our other resident ITKs, I'd take everything with a pinch of salt...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

If we have signed this Brighton defender as replacement for Maguire and he doesn't live up to the billing, I just hope nobody's going to slam Dunk.

I hope it doesn't get soggy and disturb the brew ,like my gingernuts..:facepalm:

29 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Applying a little critical thinking. Who has written the Sun article? Damian Burchardt

Who's he? Anyone heard of him? Respected Journo? 

No, some kid with 92 followers on Twitter: https://twitter.com/d_burchardt

Recent history has shown that if it's from the Sun and not Alan Nixon, it's likely not true. 

He had less than 60 followers when I first saw the article.

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

That first kid, if you do a little digging he's been told off on the reddevils subreddit before for spreading misinformation...

All in all, unless it's from Percy, bigdaddy or one of our other resident ITKs, I'd take everything with a pinch of salt...

This guy Jimmy hasn't got a thing wrong this window he started the Maguire talk of bid and talks days ago and he was right, he's been spot on about Tiellmans and JJ too. I hate fake itks but jimmy knows?

Screenshot_20190714-161614.jpg

• Like 1

i like Maguire and can't really begrudge him the move but it smacks of money, money, money because Manchester United has been a joke of a club since Ferguson left and don't look like improving any time soon, tbh. 

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

It's understandable from Maguire's perspective.

Who could turn down a club like United?

He'd have the chance to become a first choice England centre back, just like Chris Smalling and Phil Jones ... oh wait.

Well, he'd have more chance to win the Premier League, which United have done as recently as ... oh wait.

He'd have the chance to work for a top class proven manager, few can match Ole's Premier League credentials .. of getting Cardiff relegated. errrr

He'll get 300k a week and the chance to appear in some Jesse Lingard bantz videos, and sign some sponsorship deals with their official peanut butter partner or some other gubbins. His agent and bank manager will be happy, I guess.

Poolside on holiday and this made me chuckle in the Spanish sun. ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Love your posts Strider but I can't agree with this one I'm afraid.

Those saying we'd be ok with Benkovic and Soyuncu, where's the evidence? We are a side with top six ambitions, can we rely on two inexperienced centre backs, one of which has no Premier League experience, I'm not so sure. When we signed Benkovic and Soyuncu we instantly knew we had brought them for the future.

There's about four centre backs in the Premier League that are ready to make the step up in class, Dunk, Ake, Lascelles and Tarkowski, we'd be foolish not to sign one of those players. Waiting till January isn't usually an ideal thing to do, we all know it's difficult to sign players in that window.

As for saying we could even just start with Evans and Morgan together, no, no way.

If we sell Maguire and get Dunk then an Evans/Dunk CB partnership would see us set perfectly for this season and the future. Personally this season I'd loan out one of Soyuncu and Benkovic, have the other as 3rd/4th choice along with Wes. Then next season we'll have Dunk, Evans, Benkovic and Soyuncu as our centre back options, Wes will either leave or retire, then that would see us set for the next 5+ years unless someone comes in with a £80 million bid for one of them lol 

I do see this line of thinking, but that's why I'd be more inclined to make that signing in January. If we've spent over 30m on new centre backs but don't plan to play either of them when the opportunity arises, then what are we doing? Is it Slimani and Silva all over again? Benkovic started for the Croatia senior team this summer, and Soyuncu is a full fledged Turkish international.

I guess I see the 40-45m being quoted for Dunk as the alarming thing here. I think he's quite a good player and not that much different from Maguire, but that is so much money. If we were going for another Evans style signing that was 5-15m who had Premier League experience as a safe option I'd be more of a fan of that, similar to Watford going for Dawson. Someone who can act as a stop-gap whilst the younger players are developed. 45m is more than we paid for Youri Tielemans!!!

If we lost Maguire but ended up with Ake, then I think I'd be a lot less concerned as I really rate Ake. He really should be playing for a European team already IMO.

Anyway let's see what happens. I guess that even if we do get Dunk and Maguire goes, we still have about the same level of defence but made a tidy profit out of it. But it's all about where that profit goes. We are leaving it mighty late to get a winger in, and though I think this is because there are lots of teams in Europe all going for them likely resulting in deadline day madness, it would suck if we make profit on Maguire but don't reinvest it into the team.

To be fair maybe I should have a chill pill. Rudkin sorted out the Tielemans deal, the Perez deal was done in quick time and it's likely we rinse Man United for Maguire. So it does seem like we know what we are doing.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2