Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

8 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

There were two exerts which I've pulled out from that article below which I do admit concern me slightly - the way he mentions Leicester in relation to Maddison's potential for improvement (maybe in his narrative he is suggesting that as he has been through this and now needs better players around him to continue that journey) and the way he refers to Leicester as 'there' as opposed to 'with us.... and then the Man City Players, Winners of Trophies statement - I'm sure he's up for leaving to go to a bigger club (and maybe in his head thats what he's decided) I'm just not sure that we'll sell him for anything less than Van Dyke money and Top will probably value him at £80 million plus.

He's also dead to me now for referring to Manchester City as 'City' :P

HM on Maddison:

'He's had a great first year,' he said. 'He's taken to it really well and is a talented boy. I think Leicester is a great club for him. He can keep improving there. There may be some bids but I'm sure Leicester will want to keep hold of him.'

HM on England:

'It's been a long time since we've had a trophy,' Maguire said. 'We want to be winners. We have a lot of winners in our team, especially with the (Manchester) City boys who've just turned up.'

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It's looking more and more like we have a nice but nightmarish problem surrounding these continued transfer rumours on Maguire and Chilwell.

On the one hand - you can believe there's a reasonable amount of truth in the links. They're both excellent players with loads of potential so clubs will be interested and for the Premier League teams, completing a transfer of either includes the bonus of initially weakening a rival.

But even if the rumours don't transpire to a concrete transfer... they must be serving as some sort of a distraction and in this event, the rumours would just continue on until January at least - far from ideal.

If as a fan you'd accept these positions, then maybe you're resigned to losing both before long and could be tempted to take the money on at least one of them now - but here's another catch - selling one makes it harder to tell the other to stay - and could turn further heads in the squad. That issue is even more so if two go. It's certainly not a cut and dry situation as some like to make out. 

A further complication in this matter is our hopes of landing Tielemans. Some are suggesting sell one to fund this transfer, but my gut feeling is that if we're to stand any chance of selling him our vision as a club, we'd have to show we mean business by keeping hold of both Maguire and Chilwell staying. We stand no chance if either leaves.

But say if they do stay - with or without the addition of Tielemans - we then suddenly have a season where the end result is imperative. No mucking about, European football is a must to hold onto these guys.

Yet, if we do that, no doubt that means the likes of Maddison, Barnes and Hamza have grown as players and will have others coveting their signatures. - making the cycle and dilema's more complex - but maybe it's better to worry about that then, than cause a problem now by losing either of these two. 

Finally, some will point to the Mahrez transfer and our replacement in Maddision as an example of how no one player is indispensable, however I think a fairer relatable situation would be the Kante transfer at the end of our title winning season. 

Not only did we lose a fantastic player, arguably the greatest midfielder to wear a Leicester shirt, the remaining squad must have suffered an enormous physiological hammer blow as well - this was a character and smile we simply couldn't replace. Given Maguire and Chilwell's characters, I feel their lost presence in the dressing room would also be difficult to replace, even if the club could find someone to match the technical abilities of either - but sadly, knowing football, that is something the club may have to face before the season starts. 

Loads of valid points but I think worrying about something we have no control over may have got to you.

All clubs pretty much bar Madrid and Barca are selling clubs, as I've said before maybe man city at this moment with pep in charge can keep hold of players, although even that is about to be tested with the Sane, Bayern links.

We could end up with 11 die hard leicester fans playing for us and eventually even they would eventually feel they have done everything they can with us and want to move on.

The way I see it as you mentioned is, if we can progress is top 6 and start taking the cups seriously, give players semi finals, finals and European football. That's the best way to keep players, the best way to attract players and if it means our players attract attention because of that, so be it, we can't control that and at the end of the day we have budgets to work to. Our players are relatively well rewarded so it won't always boil down to money. There's not too many clubs that will pay as we do.

So it only ever becomes about ambition we are in a decent place right now, positive things are happening at many levels of the club on and off the pitch.

Let's enjoy that, what ever happens the way we have players developing right now, Harry, chilwell, madders, Barnes, hamza, riccy p, we will be well remunerated if they do go. We just have to go find the next one, after some poor recruitment after our title win, recent windows make better reading.

Lets hope that trend continues.

On 28/05/2019 at 22:32, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It's looking more and more like we have a nice but nightmarish problem surrounding these continued transfer rumours on Maguire and Chilwell.

On the one hand - you can believe there's a reasonable amount of truth in the links. They're both excellent players with loads of potential so clubs will be interested and for the Premier League teams, completing a transfer of either includes the bonus of initially weakening a rival.

But even if the rumours don't transpire to a concrete transfer... they must be serving as some sort of a distraction and in this event, the rumours would just continue on until January at least - far from ideal.

If as a fan you'd accept these positions, then maybe you're resigned to losing both before long and could be tempted to take the money on at least one of them now - but here's another catch - selling one makes it harder to tell the other to stay - and could turn further heads in the squad. That issue is even more so if two go. It's certainly not a cut and dry situation as some like to make out. 

A further complication in this matter is our hopes of landing Tielemans. Some are suggesting sell one to fund this transfer, but my gut feeling is that if we're to stand any chance of selling him our vision as a club, we'd have to show we mean business by keeping hold of both Maguire and Chilwell staying. We stand no chance if either leaves.

But say if they do stay - with or without the addition of Tielemans - we then suddenly have a season where the end result is imperative. No mucking about, European football is a must to hold onto these guys.

Yet, if we do that, no doubt that means the likes of Maddison, Barnes and Hamza have grown as players and will have others coveting their signatures. - making the cycle and dilema's more complex - but maybe it's better to worry about that then, than cause a problem now by losing either of these two. 

Finally, some will point to the Mahrez transfer and our replacement in Maddision as an example of how no one player is indispensable, however I think a fairer relatable situation would be the Kante transfer at the end of our title winning season. 

Not only did we lose a fantastic player, arguably the greatest midfielder to wear a Leicester shirt, the remaining squad must have suffered an enormous physiological hammer blow as well - this was a character and smile we simply couldn't replace. Given Maguire and Chilwell's characters, I feel their lost presence in the dressing room would also be difficult to replace, even if the club could find someone to match the technical abilities of either - but sadly, knowing football, that is something the club may have to face before the season starts. 

Kante is irreplaceable in any team. 

On 28/05/2019 at 22:32, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I'm assuming you meant to say psychological?

• Like 1

On 29/05/2019 at 14:47, Out Foxed said:

I hope he stays tbh.

75m and we should drive him up to Manchester ourselves , he isn’t a 75m player and we could replace him for half that and spend the rest on a few more younger options in other positions 

Guest SO1
19 minutes ago, richardsfoxes said:

I don't understand people on this forum, why do you want to get rid of players that we have developed, improved and have been successful here. To many people have this football manager mentality where your happy to sell players that are improving all the time, have you literally learned nothing over the past 3-4 seasons, if we get 75M for Maguire yes you can get 2-3 players but none of them are guaranteed to be successful here. Look at the money we have squandered looking for "better" players, Slimani, Ihenacho, Musa, Kramaric (to a degree), Silva and Ghezzal 130-140m there with wages and agent fees. I love it when i see people saying how we can be replace them easily, if it was so easy one of the best teams in the world wouldn't be trying to poach our players at huge prices.....

Where's the money coming from to improve our club so that we can compete for top six and trophies? Our owners aren't oil barons.

6 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Where's the money coming from to improve our club so that we can compete for top six and trophies? Our owners aren't oil barons.

They aren’t .......it’s possible that if they believe we can exist for a decade in the top eight and be sustainable doing so, then they are in dreamland, given the way the league is headed ..........

i believe that a push this summer of a nett spend £75/100m and not selling any of our ‘big players’ could take us into those euro places - we are still able to sell maguire/Chilwell/ Maddison etc next summer to help balance some of the investment this summer if things don’t go as planned.....

20 minutes ago, SO1 said:

We're not Man City, we can't just buy players and improve the stadium, have a new training ground. Becoming a bigger and better club is not going to be done over night, if you think selling our best players so we can then sign 2-3 players who won't guarantee any sort of success is the way to go, i'm sorry but its wrong mentality in my opinion. What I will say is i'm 100% sure Rodgers will have the funds to have a go at the transfer market this window, I highly doubt he takes the job if he hasn't been told that. 

Guest SO1
1 hour ago, richardsfoxes said:

We're not Man City, we can't just buy players and improve the stadium, have a new training ground. Becoming a bigger and better club is not going to be done over night, if you think selling our best players so we can then sign 2-3 players who won't guarantee any sort of success is the way to go, i'm sorry but its wrong mentality in my opinion. What I will say is i'm 100% sure Rodgers will have the funds to have a go at the transfer market this window, I highly doubt he takes the job if he hasn't been told that. 

I agree with most of what you said. I would never advocate for selling more than one player of the caliber of Harry Maguire a season. I just think that he's at the height of his resale value right now and have two exceptional players waiting in the wings.

Who knows what the money situation at the club is. If top six and Europa league are what we're aiming for next year then we are going to need more money for better players.

Goals cost money and we're not going to have time to bed in inexpensive 'young prospects'. We have to face the fact that the less you spend on a player the more likely it is that it won't work out.

I know its not going to happen overnight. Lets hope that we can ride the perfect wave of money, recruitment, development, and luck when it comes to players.

Edited by SO1
format

Guest SO1
1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

They aren’t .......it’s possible that if they believe we can exist for a decade in the top eight and be sustainable doing so, then they are in dreamland, given the way the league is headed ..........

i believe that a push this summer of a nett spend £75/100m and not selling any of our ‘big players’ could take us into those euro places - we are still able to sell maguire/Chilwell/ Maddison etc next summer to help balance some of the investment this summer if things don’t go as planned.....

One of our gems a year at most unless we have quality in the squad to back it up. Much the same situation as we have now with Harry.

I don't want to see us going down the Southampton route. We should always be investing in young prospects every summer to produce PL standard players.

2 hours ago, richardsfoxes said:

I don't understand people on this forum, why do you want to get rid of players that we have developed, improved and have been successful here. To many people have this football manager mentality where your happy to sell players that are improving all the time, have you literally learned nothing over the past 3-4 seasons, if we get 75M for Maguire yes you can get 2-3 players but none of them are guaranteed to be successful here. Look at the money we have squandered looking for "better" players, Slimani, Ihenacho, Musa, Kramaric (to a degree), Silva and Ghezzal 130-140m there with wages and agent fees. I love it when i see people saying how we can be replace them easily, if it was so easy one of the best teams in the world wouldn't be trying to poach our players at huge prices.....

There's a difference between wanting to get rid of them and recognising that it might be necessary if we want to sign the players we need to progress. If, using your example, we sold Maguire for £75m and with that money brought in Tielemans and a quality right winger, it'd be worth it. It's a gamble, yeah, but so is rejecting all offers and hoping we can go back to striking it lucky and plugging the holes in the squad with cast-offs and bargains. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guest said:

There's a difference between wanting to get rid of them and recognising that it might be necessary if we want to sign the players we need to progress. If, using your example, we sold Maguire for £75m and with that money brought in Tielemans and a quality right winger, it'd be worth it. It's a gamble, yeah, but so is rejecting all offers and hoping we can go back to striking it lucky and plugging the holes in the squad with cast-offs and bargains. 

4 hours ago, MPH said:

I don’t want to ‘ get rid’ of maguire, but if it came down to keeping him or finding the money for tielemans, id choose tielemans. Not because i don’t like maguire, we just have more options for CB... the void tielemans filled was a big one and we don’t have many players like him who are within our reach..

Maybe you guys should wait to see what has transpired by mid August ...... babs thinks we won’t spend 100m unless we sell a big asset. I think we can. It’s whether we are prepared to do so, given the potential that is clearly there ....... many realised in summer 2016 that we had an opportunity that wouldn’t come around again (to invest in the squad in the right areas to try and maintain top six status) with CL football on offer - well we messed that up good and proper with our recruitment and ngolo’s unfortunate departure .....

. let’s not mess this summer up !  The assets will still be there come next summer if the over investment this summer needs to be corrected ...... the important thing is to get the right people in if you spend the 100m. Selling a big player who you know is a strong performer at the top level is a risk re his replacement ..... we already have benko and Calgar and no one on here is sure that they will flourish in the PL as regulars ????

On 29/05/2019 at 14:41, Swan Lesta said:

There were two exerts which I've pulled out from that article below which I do admit concern me slightly - the way he mentions Leicester in relation to Maddison's potential for improvement (maybe in his narrative he is suggesting that as he has been through this and now needs better players around him to continue that journey) and the way he refers to Leicester as 'there' as opposed to 'with us.... and then the Man City Players, Winners of Trophies statement - I'm sure he's up for leaving to go to a bigger club (and maybe in his head thats what he's decided) I'm just not sure that we'll sell him for anything less than Van Dyke money and Top will probably value him at £80 million plus.

He's also dead to me now for referring to Manchester City as 'City' :P

HM on Maddison:

'He's had a great first year,' he said. 'He's taken to it really well and is a talented boy. I think Leicester is a great club for him. He can keep improving there. There may be some bids but I'm sure Leicester will want to keep hold of him.'

HM on England:

'It's been a long time since we've had a trophy,' Maguire said. 'We want to be winners. We have a lot of winners in our team, especially with the (Manchester) City boys who've just turned up.'

The context in which he was being interviewed was as an England player.

Any 'we' element to his chat would be England related. 

So speaking to a third party, about England and then mentioning another team would be referred to as them/their.

I think!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, richardsfoxes said:

Of course new players wouldn't guarantee success, but if we want to progress as a club we're gonna have to take a few risks.

Suppose we keep Maguire and sign Tielemans, but no other business (because we can't afford it). Despite how good Youri has been for us, we still finished 9th and unlikely to suddenly become a top-6 club without further improvements, and we're certainly not going to be able to sustain it if we don't invest in a long-term Vardy replacement, for instance.

Instead, if we were to sell Maguire we could bring in Tielemans along with a few exciting new faces (Robben, Sarr, Bowen, Adams etc...). We have highly-rated defenders in Benkovic/Soyuncu who can fill Maguire's shoes and we'll have a few fresh faces in the squad. It may turn out that the players we sign are duds and we stagnate a bit, but without taking that risk we'll never be able to make that significant jump in quality up to the top-6.

Of course, this discussion might be irrelevant and we might have money to burn...

Edited by Xen

11 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Maguire telling Maddison to stay put would suggest Maguire isn’t planning on leaving himself , otherwise why come out so strong ? 

Because he believes it is a good place to improve? He's been here longer remember, so he's a year further down the line than Maddison, so I wouldn't read too much into it. These players want to play for the best, if Man City come calling he'll want to go, it's as simple as that. No matter how shit we might think some of the big 6 are currently, or how they are basket cases....

Arsenal - League Cup Final 2018, Community Shield 2017 Winners, Europa League Finalists 2019, 

Man City - League Cup Winners 2018, League Cup Winners 2019, FA Cup Winners 2019, Premier League Winners 2018, Premier League Winners 2019

Chelsea - Community Shield Final 2017, FA Cup Winners 2018, Europa League Winners 2019, League Cup Finalists 2019

Man U -FA Cup Final 2018, Europa League Winners 2017, League Cup Winners 2017

Spurs -Champions League Final 2019

Liverpool - Champions League Final 2019, Champions League Final 2018

I've probably missed some, that's just trophies and finals. Let alone high league finishes and champions league football etc. You stay at them long enough and you're getting to finals and winning things.