Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Maddison

On 09/05/2019 at 09:27, Finnegan said:

Yeah fair. As I alluded to, my biggest gripe is the people who actually repeatedly pedalled the same crap that it was the player's fault because they weren't capable of executing Puel's football and that we'd have been playing beautiful creative football if the players were better.

It was always absolutely rubbish and has been proven so. 

Remove Tilemans and put Mendy back in and let’s see how much we regress again. He’s made a massive difference and it’s exactly the sort of player we were needing  all season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Remove Tilemans and put Mendy back in and let’s see how much we regress again. He’s made a massive difference and it’s exactly the sort of player we were needing  all season.

Have to agree, YT and JM have work well together. He's taken pressure of JM on the creative side and also helps him to get more space as he a threat so pulls players out of position.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Whilst true, it's also only a part of the change and you'd be massively discrediting Rodgers to make it that simplistic. 

We line up far differently now, I think it was Urban Spacemen who posted a really good video about the tactical changes under Rodgers and its bang on. 

Rodgers has hugely closed the gaps between players, we don't spread as wide to cover a huge amount of space which makes passing distances shorter and available passing lanes more numerous. 

He's also pulled Maddison back to an 8 role that he shares with the other "creative" midfielder. They (currently with Tielemans) both take it in turns to push up and down from the 8/10 spots to come closer to their inside forward, their wing back and Vardy. The other then acts as a link to the defensive midfield. 

With Puel we had an outright ten, Maddison typically, who'd stand far too close to Vardy and then two deep sitting defensive midfielders with this huge gap between them. The wide players were more conventional wingers and were pushed out to extremes to stretch play, meaning we were forced to distribute with much longer passing and Ndidi's pass completion plummeted. 

Whilst I don't think Mendy is anywhere near as good as Tielemans, he's also not the worst midfielder on the planet. He's very capable at carrying and shuttling the ball around, he doesn't have Tieleman's vision but let's not forget he came to Leicester with some of Europe's most impressive passing stats when he signed, it's a big part of what we saw in him. 

He'd have been perfectly capable of playing this 8/10 role opposite Maddison, shuttling the ball up from the back to Gray, Vardy and Ricardo (who he links up very well with) outside him. 

Obviously it wouldn't have been as good as what we have currently but it also would have been preferable to how Puel was playing. 

Puel and Rodgers may send their teams out on paper with the same players in roughly the same formation (451/433/4231, however you want to write it down) but the actual system, how we play and function, is hugely different. 

Additionally, you could line up the same XI  in the same formation under both managers and we’d still be better under Rodgers because of the coaching in possession.

We take more risks in possession and commit more players forwards now because Rodgers is far less pragmatic than Puel. I’m not somebody that is mindlessly anti-Puel but it’s obvious no matter the personnel Puel isn’t very good and setting a side up to move the ball around well

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Got a feeling Southgate doesn't rate him.

He keeps changing the "goal" for him. He plays well as a 10, Southgate declares he doesn't use a 10. He then plays the 2nd half of the season as an 8, Southgate will still overlook him. 

He's getting more game time than most of those in competition in the midfield, yet won't get a call up 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

He keeps changing the "goal" for him. He plays well as a 10, Southgate declares he doesn't use a 10. He then plays the 2nd half of the season as an 8, Southgate will still overlook him. 

He's getting more game time than most of those in competition in the midfield, yet won't get a call up 

Yeah, I've heard Mason Mount is ahead of him. Staggering.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, I've heard Mason Mount is ahead of him. Staggering.

There's one thing bringing through promising players, but another to ignore a player whose thriving at a top 10 team to pay attention to a player playing well at championship level.

On 09/05/2019 at 09:09, Finnegan said:

lol what? 

I don't really know how you can call this Puel's team when most of them were signed before him or are academy prospects. What the **** did he "put together"? Almost all of this squad he inherited and Rodgers plays a completely different system. 

To be honest, I don't really have much confidence that the players signed under him were signed "by" him. I imagine Maddison is someone we targeted for a while, as was Ricardo although I do accept it may have helped convince him that he's worked with Puel before. 

That's not even a criticism of Puel by the way it's just that I think responsibility for transfers moved away from the manager years ago around the time Pearson left with Walsh and then Macia taking on ownership. 

Maguire, for example, clearly was more of a club purchase than a Shakespeare one. Ndidi was clearly one from our scouting team and not Ranieri. 

Puel achieved the grand total of improving Chilwell quite significantly during his tenure and that is literally about it. 

Peter Taylor Mark 2? Definitely not. But still an absolute flop as a manager. I get the people defending him when he was still here to some crude extent maybe, not wanting more disruption, hoping he could turn it around, whatever. But how there's people still doing it after Rodgers just smacks of absolute desperate Internet arguing for the sakes of it and a stubborn, prideful inability to admit wrong. 

Literally every single person that ever had the sheer audacity to claim our players weren't good enough to play technical, passing football and the only reason Puel was failing is that the players couldn't change to his style needs to start a thread between themselves in this sub forum and each write a 1000 word essay explaining how ****ing hideously wrong they were and apologising profusely to both the players and the rest of us that had to read their inane, stupid, delusional shit. 

Anyone with a brain could absolutely always see that Puel wasn't playing creative, passing football he was playing safety football, Mourinho football, dull football and the players were actually executing it much as he required. 

A couple days with Rodgers and wow, what do you know, everyone's standing much closer together and passing the ball in nice little triangles, playing FORWARD passes, little taps and first time flicks round the corner, being given the freedom to take a few risks and get the rewards. Ndidi is being asked to sit back and actually play to his strengths and we're not just piling the middle of the park with sixty five defensive midfielders at a time. 

Maddison actually deployed as an eight so he can actually effect the game. Marvelous. Really didn't take a genius. Just took someone that wasn't a raging plonker. 

... I may be a little grumpy this morning. 

Best post I’ve read on here in a long time

4 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I think hello get his chance eventually but to be honest, until the latter few weeks when he's played very well, he was quite simply not good enough and certainly not to displace any of the current squad. This is not really a surprise as he's not long had a huge leap up into Premiership football. At first he was lightweight and easily knocked off the ball. He was very inconsistent and had nowhere near the fitness levels required. For me he's now improved dramatically and will only improve further under Rodgers hopefully and his relationship with Tielemans has been very good for both of them! I'm confident he'll get his opportunity. 

On 09/05/2019 at 10:09, Finnegan said:

lol what? 

I don't really know how you can call this Puel's team when most of them were signed before him or are academy prospects.

It's very hard to say it's Puel's team but he made a lasting a positive impact on a few high profile players (although he obviously didn't sign them). Richardo said he working with Puel previously was one of the reasons he came. Chilwell publicly supported Puel and no wonder: Puel stuck by Chilwell during his pretty horrific season last year when most including me wanted him dropped. Hamza, largely unknown and untested, was unexpectedly thrust into the first team in our most difficult games by Puel. It's hard to assume anyone else would have done that. I don't know much of a hand his links with Monoco had in regard with Tielemans. But there's three very important first teamers who benefited enormously, either here or their previous club. Hopefully Rodgers can continue in the same vein especially regarding chances to our academy players, something I'd prefer to Congerton direct transfer interventions.

• Thanks 3

On 11/05/2019 at 12:43, Finnegan said:

Whilst true, it's also only a part of the change and you'd be massively discrediting Rodgers to make it that simplistic. 

We line up far differently now, I think it was Urban Spacemen who posted a really good video about the tactical changes under Rodgers and its bang on. 

Rodgers has hugely closed the gaps between players, we don't spread as wide to cover a huge amount of space which makes passing distances shorter and available passing lanes more numerous. 

He's also pulled Maddison back to an 8 role that he shares with the other "creative" midfielder. They (currently with Tielemans) both take it in turns to push up and down from the 8/10 spots to come closer to their inside forward, their wing back and Vardy. The other then acts as a link to the defensive midfield. 

With Puel we had an outright ten, Maddison typically, who'd stand far too close to Vardy and then two deep sitting defensive midfielders with this huge gap between them. The wide players were more conventional wingers and were pushed out to extremes to stretch play, meaning we were forced to distribute with much longer passing and Ndidi's pass completion plummeted. 

Whilst I don't think Mendy is anywhere near as good as Tielemans, he's also not the worst midfielder on the planet. He's very capable at carrying and shuttling the ball around, he doesn't have Tieleman's vision but let's not forget he came to Leicester with some of Europe's most impressive passing stats when he signed, it's a big part of what we saw in him. 

He'd have been perfectly capable of playing this 8/10 role opposite Maddison, shuttling the ball up from the back to Gray, Vardy and Ricardo (who he links up very well with) outside him. 

Obviously it wouldn't have been as good as what we have currently but it also would have been preferable to how Puel was playing. 

Puel and Rodgers may send their teams out on paper with the same players in roughly the same formation (451/433/4231, however you want to write it down) but the actual system, how we play and function, is hugely different. 

:appl:

On 07/05/2019 at 15:59, UniFox21 said:

Fully agree with you, look at most threads and people just make digs at Puel still. 
Even though this is still his team, the team he put together. 

Yes, he failed to tactically set up the team in a way to suit us, but he's done a bloody good job at putting together a group of players who can compete with the right guidance.

We should have given him the job chief head scout, at least he's honest and has an eye for young talent 

Edited by Crispin LA

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not sure what's worse - someone calling Rodgers & Lee Congerton 'Todgers & Mongleton' or OptaJoe using the word 'Peng' lol 

OptaJoe trying to be down with the roadmen from the ends.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Shane said:

How does this work??

Under Claude we could barely create one chance or get into the opponents box lol

Which shows what a great player he is as he was up there on creating chances even under Puel. 

There's a few times that he has took the shot when the pass was the better player but you have to admire the confidence he has in himself. I think he's absolutely fantastic and am amazed how some Leicester fans have underrated him.