Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Maddison

I think mid season he might have felt that he had cracked it, with being in the premiership and getting an England call up. Maybe being left out by Southgate is the wake up call along with the new Managers belief in him. I also think that the introduction of Tielemans has not so much lightened the load but made it more difficult for the opposition to watch them both.

One or the other is always in space available to receive the Ball, and of course confidence is high at the minute.

Something new I've noticed that Maddison has added to his game is to suck defenders in close, drop his Shoulder very low to the ground. This makes it extremely difficult for defenders to tackle him without fouling him, Which of course is what he's looking for if he doesn't get away from them first time. He's now turning it into an art form.

It's a joy to watch Tili and him carve teams up at the moment and long may it continue.

On 08/04/2019 at 04:07, Tanya said:

From the first line of Tony Cascasarino's piece: "Harvey Barnes, Wilfred Ndidi, Youri Tielemans, James Maddison — Leicester City could become like Ajax or Monaco in recent years, a very good side built on young talent."

The next line: I look at Maddison and I think, “Arsenal is your team.”

So, Leicester has the potential to become an exciting, young, upstart team that can wow and thrill fans with its ability to cause upsets on the biggest stage..

Next line: But we should stop this in its tracks and remove all their best players and send them to underachieving London clubs cause lol I'm an elitist.

It irks me. I don't see the point of going to Chelsea and Arsenal now anyway, they're in real turmoil. Liverpool I can understand the allure, and Man City if you don't mind sitting on the bench. But many of those so called 'big teams' don't win anything. Why not play in a side where you're guaranteed game time, that plays an attacking way and has the possibility of getting into Europe anyway.

From afar, the obsession with the so called 'big clubs' is baffing. 

I get sick and tired of these Cockwomble pundits who laud us on one hand and then slag us off the second, heaven forbid little Leicester cause an upset again by entering the top six of the Premier League !

To then we are not a fashionable club a club who is investing in decent youth policy churning out some amazing players, so why shouldn’t the likes of Barnes Maddison Ndidi Choudary etc play for us but sign for a so called bigger club just to sit on the bench and Rot ?

Danny Drinkwater should be a bench mark to younger players who’s heads are turned by the prospect of playing or in DDs case not playing for the so called bigger club, who’s to say if Maddison goes to Arsenhole or the Spuds and get regular game time with them he’ll more likely be ruined by these clubs like a Chelsea factor buy all the best talent around and either bench don’t play or ship them to some far off land on loan!!

I for one like many of you are hoping our club tell these vultures to go and do one, we don’t need to sell we need to invest in these young players we need to nurture them this way we can build an amazing squad of players and who knows yes be a top six club and stick two fingers up to these unfortunate Cockwomble pundits. 

The future looks bright for us and if we can tie Tielemans down to a decent contract bring in a bit more needed quality then we can only get better under Brendan, So LCFC hide our young lads and tell these vultures to go and Jog On !!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS IN BRENDAN RODGERS WE TRUST !! ??

Edited by justfoxes
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DrezZone said:

So apparently, they've ran out of questions to ask the players or articles to write about so here's one talking about Maddison drinking water.lol

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-maddison-drank-ben-hamers-2733320

Nice read and I'm loving this team at the moment as is Maddison by that interview. He acknowledges that Tielemans is a wonderful player and they're on the same wavelength and interestingly refers to both of them as "No 8's" which suggests our formation is 4-3-3 now which I suspected it was with Maddison playing deeper now and Tielemans playing further up. He gives huge credit to Ndidi for allowing both Yourri and himself to play further up and says he's never seen a player who wins the ball back like Ndidi. 

I love how Rodgers has come in and immediately got players like Ndidi, Maddison and Tielemans to do more of what they're best at and less of what they're not so good at. Ndidi is now just focused on winning that ball back and protecting that defence and allowing Maddison and Tielemans to be more creative.

What a wonderful side we have at the moment. We have an absolutely top class GK and FW in Schmeichel and Vardy. A midfield three which is right up there as one of the best in the league, two attacking full backs who might well be the best in the league and an embarrassment of riches in centre halves.

If we can just get our wide attackers firing which they have the potential to do then our team is exceptional. I see no reason why we can't compete with Man Utd, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal if we have a good window this summer and stay relatively injury free next season. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Why do so many people have to relate everything to Puel being a sh1t manager. He's brought and set us up with an immensely talented young squad and navigated us through an extremely tough period in the club's history. Yes he failed to get the best out of them but just leave it at that; no need to continually chuck shit at him.

Especially when we've just beaten the 5 teams who until Saturday filled 5 of the bottom 6 places in the form table and people are suddenly world beaters. I wouldn't say any performance other than Bournemouth has been totally convincing. We've been better and the impact is obvious, but we've had a fair slice of fortune along the way as well. 

Thrilled with how things are going, but the one remotely challenging opposition we had we lost the game. We need to see how we get on against the Everton's, Wolves, Watfords, West Hams going forwards to get a better idea of where we are, and how good the players are actually performing. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

For us as a club young talent is the only real way forward. However that will mean we are always subject to the vultures above us in the pecking order. We tried manfully to resist Man City over Mahrez, and Mahrez ended up at Man City. 

As as soon as we start achieving the big boys will swing in, pick our bones clean and we start again. Unfortunately I don’t see it going any other way. We are now a stepping stone club, it’s a pity, but that is how I see it going. 

Puel was a shit manager. End of. He made many of our players look and feel and play averagely. 

He’s gone now and whilst the jury is still out on whether or not we are actual world beaters, the difference is so dramatic you’d have to be the daftest ‘Puel in’ fan to not see it and to continue making excuses for him and your judgement being so wrong on such an epic scale.

• Like 3

The problem was always the system not him. Our build up play was so slow that by the time he got the ball teams were set up well defensively making it 10x harder for him to play Vardy in. Now we win the ball much higher up it's easy for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matty98 said:

The problem was always the system not him. Our build up play was so slow that by the time he got the ball teams were set up well defensively making it 10x harder for him to play Vardy in. Now we win the ball much higher up it's easy for him.

Quite.

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Especially when we've just beaten the 5 teams who until Saturday filled 5 of the bottom 6 places in the form table and people are suddenly world beaters. I wouldn't say any performance other than Bournemouth has been totally convincing. We've been better and the impact is obvious, but we've had a fair slice of fortune along the way as well. 

Thrilled with how things are going, but the one remotely challenging opposition we had we lost the game. We need to see how we get on against the Everton's, Wolves, Watfords, West Hams going forwards to get a better idea of where we are, and how good the players are actually performing. 

We've played 5 of the bottom 6 that we'd be expected to beat, as you mentioned the last decent team we faced was Watford. Admittedly it was Brendans first game but we lost.

If we continue to win against the lowe5 teams thats great, but let's see how we finish the season. 

But there is no doubt everyone is playing better than they were and are reaching good performance levels. Just no need to bash the old manager at every opportunity 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Why do so many people have to relate everything to Puel being a sh1t manager. He's brought and set us up with an immensely talented young squad and navigated us through an extremely tough period in the club's history. Yes he failed to get the best out of them but just leave it at that; no need to continually chuck shit at him.

Completely agree. Puel isn’t a shit manager neither is he a great manager. Imo he is somewhere in the middle and that’s where he left us. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, matty98 said:

And maybe just maybe, the arrival of Tielemans also helped a bit, by creating the missing link between Ndidi, Maddison and Vardy, which made them play to their strenght and in their right position? Not taking anything from Rodgers away and I think he's a much better fit than Puel, but the blind hatred for the latter from some posters (not you) is a sight to behold. Not talking about those who just post one-liners with the depth of a frying pan, but also others who otherwise are more than able to write a nuanced comment.

Maddison, Ricardo, Barnes, Tielemans (fingers crossed) never played together until this season and it takes time to make a team click, especially when the said players are so young. I'm personally delighted to see us at the moment but also waiting for the real tests at the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, murphy said:

Having been a Puel inner, the difference under Brendan in terms of dynamism is clear to see but I am wondering, had we appointed Brendan instead of puel 2 years ago, would we be in such a good position?

I think probably not, as the work that Puel did in improving the squad and changing the way we play was something we owe him a great deal of credit for.  Brendan is a better manager, his style of play is similar but more direct but he is enjoying the fruits of Puel's labour.  Perhaps the transition under Puel was necessary and Rogers is the man to carry us forward.

Exactly.

Glad to see that people are on his side again, it was getting quite personal for a minute. On another note my FIL was commenting during MOTD on Saturday that he seemed like a 'nice well rounded guy'. Considering my FIL makes it his personal mission to comment negatively on anything I am interested in, that's quite an impression he made!

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Or you could argue these 5 wins out of 6 and 4 on the spin were the games Puel really struggled to get much from culminating in less than a quarter of wins in a year at home and fan morale at an all time low. Tielemans has helped this massively but he was also in the team for Puel's last game which we were annihilated 4-1 at home to the behemoth that is Crystal Palace, a team who beat us 13-1 on aggregate during his reign in charge here. 

Bigger tests await, and Rodgers had some criticism come his way for his inability in the Champions League at Celtic against the very best. Could it be that our style of play under him results in us being very dominant against the majority of teams below us but struggle against the top 6? Maybe, time will tell. However, you simply HAVE to be winning your home games vs the dog shit. Suddenly we have started doing that and the whole place has been lifted.

Puel will never be forgotten but sadly with each day that passes it's not looking good for him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Not really, a child can pick out good players, it takes a manager to know how to get the best out of them and how to play a team to their strengths. That doesn’t mean arriving with a game plan and continuing to play it over and over again until you’ve ostracised your staff, players and fans with your stubborn lack of diversity and ability to adapt.

I disagree,recruitment of the right players at the right time is not child's play, if it was we wouldn't have made such a poor job of it, in the summer of 2016-17

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Puel was a shit manager. End of. He made many of our players look and feel and play averagely. 

He’s gone now and whilst the jury is still out on whether or not we are actual world beaters, the difference is so dramatic you’d have to be the daftest ‘Puel in’ fan to not see it and to continue making excuses for him and your judgement being so wrong on such an epic scale.

I agree he had a lot of faults, however you look at it he left us in a better shape than when he arrived.

We had an aging squad who looked to be sliding in to a relegation fight, now we have a young team with lots of promise, now ho much of that is down to Puel is debatable. However Rogers job is fair easy than it would have been taking over from directly after Shakespeare.

I feel that Puel just couldn't lead and inspire a English dressing room, some foreign manager can other can't  

Edited by coolhandfox

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Or you could argue these 5 wins out of 6 and 4 on the spin were the games Puel really struggled to get much from culminating in less than a quarter of wins in a year at home and fan morale at an all time low. Tielemans has helped this massively but he was also in the team for Puel's last game which we were annihilated 4-1 at home to the behemoth that is Crystal Palace, a team who beat us 13-1 on aggregate during his reign in charge here. 

Bigger tests await, and Rodgers had some criticism come his way for his inability in the Champions League at Celtic against the very best. Could it be that our style of play under him results in us being very dominant against the majority of teams below us but struggle against the top 6? Maybe, time will tell. However, you simply HAVE to be winning your home games vs the dog shit. Suddenly we have started doing that and the whole place has been lifted.

Puel will never be forgotten but sadly with each day that passes it's not looking good for him. 

I was responding to someone now saying we or some of our players are now world builders, you'd be laughing your bollocks of if I'd said that about Puel or a player under him after a few wins. 

I'm aware of Puels limitations, Rodgers is a better manager and if someone said we could have Rodgers last summer or before Puel joined I'd have snapped their hands off. 

Anyway, it's a Maddison thread. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Maddison is very good, and there are a number of reasons he has come to the boil. It's never as simple as one thing tipping the balance. 

He has attacking support from a CM that can pass for starters. Rather than him and Vards ploughing on alone up top, him and Tielemans are always supporting now and it's far harder to mark him out of the game. Also, the press is winning the ball higher and it's giving him time and space to find Vardy, rather than us having 50/60m to goal, it's often 30m to goal when he gets the ball and the opposition aren't set in position. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I was responding to someone now saying we or some of our players are now world builders, you'd be laughing your bollocks of if I'd said that about Puel or a player under him after a few wins. 

I'm aware of Puels limitations, Rodgers is a better manager and if someone said we could have Rodgers last summer or before Puel joined I'd have snapped their hands off. 

Anyway, it's a Maddison thread. 

I tried to hold back a bit but if you look at our top nine players outside the wide forwards you could argue a case that all of them would improve a position in at least one of the clubs in the 3rd-6th positions or at the very least it would be marginal.

18 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I tried to hold back a bit but if you look at our top nine players outside the wide forwards you could argue a case that all of them would improve a position in at least one of the clubs in the 3rd-6th positions or at the very least it would be marginal.

But they aren't world beaters based on us beating 5 of the crappiest most out of form teams int he league.