Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Maddison

58 minutes ago, woddyuk said:

Maddison is a good player and has potential to be a great great player. 

Pluses :

Decent taking free kicks. 

Wins free kicks, (drawing them is fine but please cut out Bamford style diving) 

Technically gifted. 

Work rate (usually) 

What he did for Sophie. :appl:

Can pick a pass when he gets his head up. 

Negatives to work on. 

Needs to play to whistle. It's frustrating as hell If decisions dont go his way he spends to long on the floor or waving arms about. In the meantime the opposition are now 20yards away with the ball. 

Heading and tackling are piss poor especially tackling. He will end up breaking his own leg or get booked for jumping turned back into opponents. 

Dont expect him to be in Kantes league but tacking his way out of a wet paper bag would be a start. 

You missed his Achilles heel. He lacks pace. I think this will be such a huge issue with him in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woddyuk said:

Heading and tackling are piss poor especially tackling.

Really? He’s 4th in our squad for making the most tackles, with only Ndidi, Ricardo and Chilwell ahead of him 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Really? He’s 4th in our squad for making the most tackles, with only Ndidi, Ricardo and Chilwell ahead of him 

IMO..it's his tackling that has come on leaps and bounds...It's this part that is starting to make him the potentially complete player..he looks like he is working

Toward...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

IMO..it's his tackling that has come on leaps and bounds...It's this part that is starting to make him the potentially complete player..he looks like he is working

Toward...

I agree, his tackling and workrate have really come along. It means his lack of pace is less of a problem as that's really the only area of his game that doesn't seem like it will improve. He is great at holding up the ball, winding up the opposition, ball-carrying, drawing free kicks, taking free kicks, picking a pass, dribbling, keeping up his workrate. If he continues to improve his tackling and shooting in open play, he will be an incredible player, above our level.

• Like 1

I think he has the technical abilities to be a great player, but he is far from the finished product. Things to work on:

- stay on feet more (he slips too often)

- be more consistent with freekicks and corners: too often he can’t even clear the first man and his corners to be honest are usually crap (but he can do much better)

- pass better and earlier (he needs to learn from Albrighton)

- put more weight behind his through balls (he can make the right pass, but his through balls are usually underweight)

- he needs to work on his power (maybe this explains why he often under-hits

- he needs to make better decisions (he is way better than Gray, but again he can learn from Albrighton)

Had some quality moments against Man City. Makes the odd error of judgement. Should have passed to Albrighton so he could miss rather than missing himself. 

Genuine quality player who will will end up coveted by much bigger teams if he’s not already to be honest. 

10 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Had some quality moments against Man City. Makes the odd error of judgement. Should have passed to Albrighton so he could miss rather than missing himself. 

Genuine quality player who will will end up coveted by much bigger teams if he’s not already to be honest. 

Albrighton would have smashed that in!..... 

... to row Z. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Simoken said:

You missed his Achilles heel. He lacks pace. I think this will be such a huge issue with him in the future.

Maybe, but I think his game under Rodgers seems to have improved the way he gets around the pitch and how better he's looked at carrying the ball up pitch, doesn't seem to be caught out due to pace. Players like Eriksen and Tielemans aren't overly quick and one is coveted as one of the best number 8's in Europe and the other one is destined to join him, hopefully with us. Together both Maddison and Tielemans will turn us in to a top 6 team.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Simoken said:

Speed of thought is far more important in his position. Ironically, while he might not be the paciest player, he's got very quick feet. He's good at rolling off tackles and keep momentum in the right direction.

• Like 3

Some Arsenal fans want Maddison as a replacement for Ramsey. 

Problem with Arsenal is they can sign Maddison for £50m+ but then he will end up leaving on a free transfer in 3-4 years time. Total mess of a football club. 

Edited by Koke

17 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I think he has the technical abilities to be a great player, but he is far from the finished product. Things to work on:

- stay on feet more (he slips too often)

- be more consistent with freekicks and corners: too often he can’t even clear the first man and his corners to be honest are usually crap (but he can do much better)

- pass better and earlier (he needs to learn from Albrighton)

- put more weight behind his through balls (he can make the right pass, but his through balls are usually underweight)

- he needs to work on his power (maybe this explains why he often under-hits

- he needs to make better decisions (he is way better than Gray, but again he can learn from Albrighton)

Each to their own. Albrighton can be highly frustrating with his no look passes/crosses which end up going nowhere near anybody. Maddison is very dangerous from set plays. He dithers sometimes, less so Since Rodgers has arrived but he has good passing ability. Both good players, Albrightons style is effective for a winger but isnt near Maddisons technical ability. In my opinion :)

Edited by bfox

On 07/05/2019 at 15:59, UniFox21 said:

Fully agree with you, look at most threads and people just make digs at Puel still. 
Even though this is still his team, the team he put together. 

Yes, he failed to tactically set up the team in a way to suit us, but he's done a bloody good job at putting together a group of players who can compete with the right guidance.

lol what? 

I don't really know how you can call this Puel's team when most of them were signed before him or are academy prospects. What the **** did he "put together"? Almost all of this squad he inherited and Rodgers plays a completely different system. 

To be honest, I don't really have much confidence that the players signed under him were signed "by" him. I imagine Maddison is someone we targeted for a while, as was Ricardo although I do accept it may have helped convince him that he's worked with Puel before. 

That's not even a criticism of Puel by the way it's just that I think responsibility for transfers moved away from the manager years ago around the time Pearson left with Walsh and then Macia taking on ownership. 

Maguire, for example, clearly was more of a club purchase than a Shakespeare one. Ndidi was clearly one from our scouting team and not Ranieri. 

Puel achieved the grand total of improving Chilwell quite significantly during his tenure and that is literally about it. 

Peter Taylor Mark 2? Definitely not. But still an absolute flop as a manager. I get the people defending him when he was still here to some crude extent maybe, not wanting more disruption, hoping he could turn it around, whatever. But how there's people still doing it after Rodgers just smacks of absolute desperate Internet arguing for the sakes of it and a stubborn, prideful inability to admit wrong. 

Literally every single person that ever had the sheer audacity to claim our players weren't good enough to play technical, passing football and the only reason Puel was failing is that the players couldn't change to his style needs to start a thread between themselves in this sub forum and each write a 1000 word essay explaining how ****ing hideously wrong they were and apologising profusely to both the players and the rest of us that had to read their inane, stupid, delusional shit. 

Anyone with a brain could absolutely always see that Puel wasn't playing creative, passing football he was playing safety football, Mourinho football, dull football and the players were actually executing it much as he required. 

A couple days with Rodgers and wow, what do you know, everyone's standing much closer together and passing the ball in nice little triangles, playing FORWARD passes, little taps and first time flicks round the corner, being given the freedom to take a few risks and get the rewards. Ndidi is being asked to sit back and actually play to his strengths and we're not just piling the middle of the park with sixty five defensive midfielders at a time. 

Maddison actually deployed as an eight so he can actually effect the game. Marvelous. Really didn't take a genius. Just took someone that wasn't a raging plonker. 

... I may be a little grumpy this morning. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Some Arsenal fans want Maddison as a replacement for Ramsey. 

Problem with Arsenal is they can sign Maddison for £50m+ but then he will end up leaving on a free transfer in 3-4 years time. Total mess of a football club. 

I dont even know why anyone would go to Arsenal. Theyre just a weird club. 

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

lol what? 

I don't really know how you can call this Puel's team when most of them were signed before him or are academy prospects. What the **** did he "put together"? Almost all of this squad he inherited. 

To be honest, I don't really have much confidence that the players signed under him were signed "by" him. I imagine Maddison is someone we targeted for a while, as was Ricardo although I do accept it may have helped convince him that he's worked with Puel before. 

That's not even a criticism of Puel by the way it's just that I think responsibility for transfers moved away from the manager years ago around the time Pearson left with Walsh and then Macia taking my ownership. 

Maguire, for example, clearly was more of a club purchase than a Shakespeare one. Ndidi was clearly one from our scouting team and not Ranieri. 

Puel achieved the grand total of improving Chilwell quite significantly during his tenure and that is literally about it. 

Peter Taylor Mark 2? Definitely not. But still an absolute flop as a manager. I get the people defending him when he was still here to some crude extent maybe, not wanting more disruption, hoping he could turn it around, whatever. But how there's people still doing it after Rodgers just smacks of absolute desperate Internet arguing for the sakes of it and a stubborn, prideful inability to admit wrong. 

Literally every single person that ever had the sheer audacity to claim our players weren't good enough to play technical, passing football and the only reason Puel was failing is that the players couldn't change to his style needs to start a thread between themselves in this sub forum and each write a 1000 word essay explaining how ****ing hideously wrong they were and apologising profusely to both the players and the rest of us that had to read their inane, stupid, delusional shit. 

Anyone with a brain could absolutely always see that Puel wasn't playing creative, passing football he was playing safety football, Mourinho football, dull football and the players were actually executing it much as he required. 

A couple days with Rodgers and wow, what do you know, everyone's standing much closer together and passing the ball in nice little triangles, playing FORWARD passes, little taps and first time flicks round the corner, being given the freedom to take a few risks and get the rewards. Ndidi is being asked to sit back and actually play to his strengths and we're not just piling the middle of the park with sixty five defensive midfielders at a time. 

Maddison actually deployed as an eight so he can actually effect the game. Marvelous. Really didn't take a genius. Just took someone that wasn't a raging plonker. 

You can defend what Puel achieved at the same time as accepting that Rogers is the better manager for us.

I don't think that there are many of us that defended Puel and still do, that would take him back over Rogers.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

You can defend what Puel achieved at the same time as accepting that Rogers is the better manager for us.

I don't think that there are many of us that defended Puel and still do, that would take him back over Rogers.  

Yeah fair. As I alluded to, my biggest gripe is the people who actually repeatedly pedalled the same crap that it was the player's fault because they weren't capable of executing Puel's football and that we'd have been playing beautiful creative football if the players were better.

It was always absolutely rubbish and has been proven so. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

I dont even know why anyone would go to Arsenal. Theyre just a weird club. 

Arsenal remain a bigger proposition than us, even in their current plight. They're in the capital which is a big pull for some players and they could still be in the Champions League next season are two big factors alone. They're going to finish somewhere between 13-19 points ahead of this season and potentially have a European final too. 

What we're (hopefully) building at the moment is more exciting than whatever the plan seems to be over at the Emirates, but there's no disputing it would be a step up in the short term at least. I think he would thrive their too - but anyone with half a brain can see that they have bigger problems than replacing Ramsey. 

I don't expect to lose any of our players to Arsenal for a multitude of reasons - but even despite their failings, they're not in the Everton bracket just yet. 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

lol what? 

I don't really know how you can call this Puel's team when most of them were signed before him or are academy prospects. What the **** did he "put together"? Almost all of this squad he inherited and Rodgers plays a completely different system. 

That's not even a criticism of Puel by the way it's just that I think responsibility for transfers moved away from the manager years ago around the time Pearson left with Walsh and then Macia taking on ownership. 

I agree with the a fair bit of what you've said, my point was more aimed at those who seem to just want to chuck shit at Puel for the sake of it, rather than just  accepting what he did well and what he did badly and moving the **** on.  

I admit I thought he'd do better, but he failed as a tactical manager and we've progressed so much more since he's left. I just get pissed off with people chucking shit for no apparent reason other than to do a "told you so". 

I still give the guy credit for Maddison, Ricardo and Youri, just  as he gets slated for Ghezzal tbh. 

16 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I agree with the a fair bit of what you've said, my point was more aimed at those who seem to just want to chuck shit at Puel for the sake of it, rather than just  accepting what he did well and what he did badly and moving the **** on.  

I admit I thought he'd do better, but he failed as a tactical manager and we've progressed so much more since he's left. I just get pissed off with people chucking shit for no apparent reason other than to do a "told you so". 

I still give the guy credit for Maddison, Ricardo and Youri, just  as he gets slated for Ghezzal tbh. 

I'm a firm critic of both Puel and Ghezzal but I'd never blame Puel for Ghezzal. 

Like I said, we have a director of football, a head coach and a head of recruitment. 

Puel, of those, was and is the least responsible for transfers. He doesn't deserve either criticism for Ghezzal or credit for Maddison. They're just players he was given to work with. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Arsenal remain a bigger proposition than us, even in their current plight. They're in the capital which is a big pull for some players and they could still be in the Champions League next season are two big factors alone. They're going to finish somewhere between 13-19 points ahead of this season and potentially have a European final too. 

What we're (hopefully) building at the moment is more exciting than whatever the plan seems to be over at the Emirates, but there's no disputing it would be a step up in the short term at least. I think he would thrive their too - but anyone with half a brain can see that they have bigger problems than replacing Ramsey. 

I don't expect to lose any of our players to Arsenal for a multitude of reasons - but even despite their failings, they're not in the Everton bracket just yet. 

Maddison would fit Arsenal. He would contribute more than Ozil and demand far less in wages + he is about 7 years younger. I can see why Merson and Arsenal fans want him. 

Edited by Koke