Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Vardy - officially better than Lineker .

Where were all you positive folks when I was sticking up for him and getting laughed at a few weeks back. 

I stand by my previous comments. Play to his strengths and he is every bit a fantastic player he has always been. No sign of losing his touch/ pace to me. 

On 06/04/2019 at 20:53, murphy said:

I know I'm not really entering into the spirit of this thread and believe me, I love Vardy.  He's an indispensable ferret faced super hero.

But better than Lineker?  I take your point about Lineker's goal's in the old second division, but he continued his one in two (or better) strike rate throughout his career at Everton and Spurs,Barcelona(43)..Nagoya(9)  and of course 46 goals in 70 odd games for England.

I agree that Vardy has come to personify our club for this generation but surely Lineker is Mr Leicester City.  A Leicester lad and City fan and in his day, one of the best strikers on the planet.

As for the argument about different standards in different eras.  You can only judge people in their eras.  I mean Lineker today would be fitter etc,  The same argument would apply to George Best. Pele, Maradonna etc.

23 hours ago, Gerard said:

Vardy is genuine top class and borderline world class, we're really, really lucky to have him and probably lucky he's not a few years younger. Would Aguerro or Kane get more goals in this Leicester team over the last few years? It's debatable and I would say not. 

He never moaned when he regularly never got a chance in a game under Puel but with Rodgers at the helm and Tielemans and Maddison just behind he's regularly getting slotted through and has probably been the best and most prolific striker in the league since the change in management. 

I wouldn’t say never moaned.

He publicity criticised Puels style of play, which he was well within his rights to do as he had his lowest goal tally/ratio at that point, I guess when you are as good as he is it’s very frustrating when you are not getting the service. It clearly effected his desire on the pitch, he is now back acting like a Terrier when he looses the ball.

Looks as fresh as ever

• Like 2

Yes ..Now going to my older years..65. I rate Jamie Vardy as one on those Mr Leicester-badge players that have served our great club over the years,

But don't underrated our other greats..and legends who in not lifting a trophy still remain. Leicester greats...

Weller..

Worthington...they were just Brilliant to watch.

G.Cross because he was Mr Leicester!!!

Sep.Smith!! Same as Cross,in his services!!

Stringfellow...cos before King,he became a Loved idol!!!

Oh yes,probably the most intelligent....and a good Goalscorer Alan Smith!!!

Lineker....our last modern Mr Leicester

Rowley...44 goals in a season,254 for city .434 in 619 games in a career...

Chandler...273 Leicester goals,most hattricks

Accolades they all deserve and not one should be underrated...or overrated while making comparisons....

My personal thoughts..Vardy/Weller/Rowley/Lineker  are my 4 favourites and for all the statistics in the world I won't separate them...

The others will always leave that warm glow when mentioned!!!!

• Like 4

Can anyone remember Leeds away with both Gary and Alan Smith limping through the 2nd half ? I think we lost.

I saw Lineker develop from a young player who split defences and invariably fell over the ball, into a fringe England player. On his transfer to Everton he became an England regular, we were not allowed internationals those days. I believe we got a million for him, the same he gave the club a few years later? Also got trapped on a train soon after with some aggressive scousers telling me what a waste of money he was. Possibly he really came good with Spurs, just served his apprenticeship with us.

I always thought as Gary as a legend and he was a good reference point for explaining to foreigners about Leicester, along with Jon Merrick, Daniel Lambert and old Roman walls. (Until some know it all foreigner told me that there were Roman walls all over Europe)

I would have Gary in any fantasy Leicester team, either playing alongside Vardy or an option to replace him from the bench. I have previously read about how Gary was the better natural finisher but there is a reason a right big toe injury finished his career, I can imagine him in King Dicks playground poking those tennis balls between the jumpers from 3 yards, whilst dodging the big kids

Do not know if Vardy went to school or not. 

Could Vardy have scored a hattrick for Barca against Real Madrid? Thankfully for us he never got the chance. Could Vardy have won a golden boot in a world cup? Sadly for England, he never got a proper chance.

Loved Lineker as a boy but having a footballing idol as a man, that takes some doing. Got to be Vardy for me. 

(just a joke Jamie, about the school thing, actually think you are quite smart)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Yes ..Now going to my older years..65. I rate Jamie Vardy as one on those Mr Leicester-badge players that have served our great club over the years,

But don't underrated our other greats..and legends who in not lifting a trophy still remain. Leicester greats...

Weller..

Worthington...they were just Brilliant to watch.

G.Cross because he was Mr Leicester!!!

Sep.Smith!! Same as Cross,in his services!!

Stringfellow...cos before King,he became a Loved idol!!!

Oh yes,probably the most intelligent....and a good Goalscorer Alan Smith!!!

Lineker....our last modern Mr Leicester

Rowley...44 goals in a season,254 for city .434 in 619 games in a career...

Chandler...273 Leicester goals,most hattricks

Accolades they all deserve and not one should be underrated...or overrated while making comparisons....

My personal thoughts..Vardy/Weller/Rowley/Lineker  are my 4 favourites and for all the statistics in the world I won't separate them...

The others will always leave that warm glow when mentioned!!!!

Same age as you and agree............ almost......with everything you say.....Don`t know if you were only talking about outfield players but the Greatest City player is,and always will be........the world's number one, the incomparable SIR Gordon BANKS  O.B.E..

Edited by Gordon the Great

12 hours ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

Dead right and although Lineker reached the heights internationally it was Vardy's goals which drove us to our greatest triumph. But can I introduce a third contender for the title of our our greatest striker? Since 1888 when the Football League was founded many thousands have played.One man scored more goals than any other and he scored most of them at Leicester. His name was Arthur Rowley. After a low key start to his career scoring 30 goals at WBA and Fulham as a centre forward he came to Leicester in 1950. He moved to inside left and began scoring prolifically in the Second and First Divisions totalling 251 League and 14 FA Cup goals for us. In 1958 he moved to Shrewsbury as player-manager and kept scoring - 152 goals. I recall that when he was on the cusp of his record hundreds of Leicester fans travelled to Shrewsbury to see the goal. He finished his career with an astonishing 434 league goals. As a kid I saw him score many times - he was nicknamed "Gunner" on account of his explosive shot.Perhaps when remembering Lineker's achievements and the heroic Vardy we should spare a thought for the greatest ever goal- scorer in the English game.

Rowley didn’t score many in the first tier did he (particularly for us)?  Arthur Chandler whacked them in for fun at Leicester in the first division 

Lineker improved his game after he left us, but as a kid he was a limited footballer. What he did have was great speed & a good sense of anticipation in the box.

His passing, heading & shooting from distance were pretty average. And he missed more than his fair share of sitters. But you can't really argue with his record.

But he always followed the money. 

Vardy shows great loyalty to Leicester, and sometimes I think we forget that and take him for granted. 

He's also a pretty decent player with a great touch and good vision.

Also, he's not the type to oil his way into advertising or the media. Thank God.

Vardy for me.

On 07/04/2019 at 02:53, murphy said:

I know I'm not really entering into the spirit of this thread and believe me, I love Vardy.  He's an indispensable ferret faced super hero.

But better than Lineker?  I take your point about Lineker's goal's in the old second division, but he continued his one in two (or better) strike rate throughout his career at Everton and Spurs and of course 46 goals in 70 odd games for England.

I agree that Vardy has come to personify our club for this generation but surely Lineker is Mr Leicester City.  A Leicester lad and City fan and in his day, one of the best strikers on the planet.

As for the argument about different standards in different eras.  You can only judge people in their eras.  I mean Lineker today would be fitter etc,  The same argument would apply to George Best. Pele, Maradonna etc.

Lineker is a legend. But Vardy won the EPL. He came up with us and stayed with us despite the riches offered elsewhere. Loyal. Determined. Leader. Absolutely a Legend. No matter how he plays when his age starts to show, please all Leicester fans should always always back him, support him, trust him, until he retires with Leicester. He can be like Ryan Giggs to Man Utd as he is to us.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2019 at 04:10, UpTheLeagueFox said:

"Yeah but Vardy is past his best and won't go on forever and Puel is right to try and phase him out and get us playing a different way..."

Vardy is 33 next season, if you don't think Rodgers will also be thinking about a long term succession plan then you're deluded. Oh and missing about two or three games over two seasons under Puel is hardly phasing him out. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Haha 1

Too young to have seen Lineker play for the club, earliest recollection was Italia '90.

From a footballer's story point of view, it has to be Vardy topping Lineker.

To have this sort of career with his personal background, coming up from non-league into a Championship side at the rather late age of 25, later on winning promotion, avoiding relegation and then winning the Premier League, as well as participating in the Champions League and also becoming an England regular (for a short while) is as much a fairytale as you can get.

Unheard of.

Very thankful to have him at the club and I do hope he has two or even three more great seasons in him. Deserves all the credit, respect and success he can get.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Vards still got another 3 years in him at top level imo.

It's so hard to know, as soon as someone reaches his age they can drop off a cliff quite quickly. He's still a good enough player to just turn into a pure finisher, like Cottee was for us. But injuries can start mounting up as well and you don't recover as quick. 

IMO it would be irresponsible to not start planning ahead, we've got a space coming free for a striker in the summer so it needs to be someone who can take over his role as main striker at some point. 

• Like 1

Doesn't really matter who was better. Lineker has being a local lad and a very high profile supporter of the football club. I am too young to have seen him play for us so can't compare the two. Vardy is my favorite ever Leicester player and I don't think anyone will get close. The reasons are obvious but him turning down a move away and staying with us really puts him a number one for me. Mahrez and Kante may have been arguably slightly better that season but Vardy will be seen as the greatest from the title winning season.

12 minutes ago, Koke said:

As if it that's close given the way the question is phrased. 

If we're talking who the better striker is then maybe but cant see how Lineker could possibly be considered a bigger Leicester legend based on their respective tenures with us.