Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Vardy - officially better than Lineker .

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

Half of Lineker's goals (for Leicester) were in the Second tier, though.

And I think there's a good argument that says Vardy is up against better defences, as footballers are fitter and better trained than back then. Having watched both, I would pick Vardy over Lineker.

I know I'm not really entering into the spirit of this thread and believe me, I love Vardy.  He's an indispensable ferret faced super hero.

But better than Lineker?  I take your point about Lineker's goal's in the old second division, but he continued his one in two (or better) strike rate throughout his career at Everton and Spurs and of course 46 goals in 70 odd games for England.

I agree that Vardy has come to personify our club for this generation but surely Lineker is Mr Leicester City.  A Leicester lad and City fan and in his day, one of the best strikers on the planet.

As for the argument about different standards in different eras.  You can only judge people in their eras.  I mean Lineker today would be fitter etc,  The same argument would apply to George Best. Pele, Maradonna etc.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, murphy said:

I know I'm not really entering into the spirit of this thread and believe me, I love Vardy.  He's an indispensable ferret faced super hero.

But better than Lineker?  I take your point about Lineker's goal's in the old second division, but he continued his one in two (or better) strike rate throughout his career at Everton and Spurs and of course 46 goals in 70 odd games for England.

I agree that Vardy has come to personify our club for this generation but surely Lineker is Mr Leicester City.  A Leicester lad and City fan and in his day, one of the best strikers on the planet.

As for the argument about different standards in different eras.  You can only judge people in their eras.  I mean Lineker today would be fitter etc,  The same argument would apply to George Best. Pele, Maradonna etc.

Murph, believe me, I'm not dissing Lineker in the slightest, and I was very careful to specify the goals he scored for Leicester were against Second Division defences; the Lineker that played at Everton was at a different level - 42 goals in a season, wasn't it? I certainly don't begrudge you your opinion. It's a measure of how good Vardy is that we are even having this discussion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Had to laugh at Linker's tweet earlier..

"If only I'd been on penalties at Leicester" :whistle:

:D

Such a lack of class comment from Lineker. Acknowledge Vardys´ feat instead of making stupid tweets!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I agree with you, AND you forgot Barcelona! 86 and 90 world cups really bring out a ton of emotion for me.  I remember as a kid I double underlined that he was from Leicester in my World Cup Panini sticker albums! 

29 minutes ago, murphy said:

Because of the thread title probably.

I’m wondering if that dot in the title was supposed to be the :ph34r: emoji? Only @jonthefox will know... 

Glad he's come back into form since the change in management. Was starting to think he was done both mentally and physically but now we are playing to his strengths he's reborn again and contributing just when we needed it.

Hope we can get a decent understudy in that can learn from him.

47 minutes ago, kingston_fox said:

Glad he's come back into form since the change in management. Was starting to think he was done both mentally and physically but now we are playing to his strengths he's reborn again and contributing just when we needed it.

Hope we can get a decent understudy in that can learn from him.

He was never done. He was another one who didn’t like Fraud or playing for him.

So much of this forum fell into the trap of saying Vardy was ‘done’, Maddison was ‘over-rated’, Kasper needed selling blah di blah when it was blatantly clear that what needed to happen was to replace the manager.

Now look.. Vardy remains as lethal as ever

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Had to laugh at Linker's tweet earlier..

"If only I'd been on penalties at Leicester" :whistle:

Appropriate response would've been

"If only you'd started playing for Leicester at age 25 and that in today's football". :ph34r: