Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Vardy - officially better than Lineker .

4 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

when people on here wanted to ship him off to West Brom for £3M....

Will admit i was one of those people....was it his second season here?Can remember us all having a smoke at half time saying we'd take him there as well.lol

Edited by PAULCFC

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

"Yeah but Vardy is past his best and won't go on forever and Puel is right to try and phase him out and get us playing a different way..."

Vardy got 20 last season. 

• Like 1

Always a joy to open every thread and work out how Geoff Peters will link it to Puel. Bizarre behaviour. 

Fancy Vardy to get 20 again this season. Has missed more big chances this year but is still more clinical than most and will simply always score goals. Legend. 

• Like 2

He has consistently terrorised defences with impressive numbers year on year.

His improvement in form the Championship winning season, his goal vs West Brom in the great escape, his 11 in a row which is the current record, his performances in the Champions league, his consistency to get to 20 goals last season and how he's come back under Rodgers this season.

The guy has done it every single season and is probably the most pivotal player we had in all our recent triumphs and he is still going.

I would actually say the guy could play for any club in the world but the legend that he is - he has chosen to stay with us despite numerous offers from elsewhere. 

Imo this makes him our greatest ever. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Had he been signed a few more years earlier, there would only be slight doubt he would be in the top five of the highest PL goalscorers in the history of the competition.

And you can look at it the other way.

What if we hadn't taken a punt on him?  What if he was still ploughing away in non-league in front of one man and his dog?

Let's be honest, he wasn't a fraction of the player he is now when he first arrived.  All that potential could have gone unfulfilled.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, murphy said:

And you can look at it the other way.

What if we hadn't taken a punt on him?  What if he was still ploughing away in non-league in front of one man and his dog?

Let's be honest, he wasn't a fraction of the player he is now when he first arrived.  All that potential could have gone unfulfilled.

There were other Championship clubs after him when we signed him, so I doubt he'd still be a non-league player. However, I doubt many managers would have stuck by him to the extent NP did, and he could easily have been knocking around the lower leagues or even giving up altogether.

23 hours ago, Buce said:

Half of Lineker's goals (for Leicester) were in the Second tier, though.

And I think there's a good argument that says Vardy is up against better defences, as footballers are fitter and better trained than back then. Having watched both, I would pick Vardy over Lineker.

EVERY ...............SINGLE...............TIME!

21 hours ago, koop. said:

Has to go down as one of the greatest players to ever play for this club 

Dead right and although Lineker reached the heights internationally it was Vardy's goals which drove us to our greatest triumph. But can I introduce a third contender for the title of our our greatest striker? Since 1888 when the Football League was founded many thousands have played.One man scored more goals than any other and he scored most of them at Leicester. His name was Arthur Rowley. After a low key start to his career scoring 30 goals at WBA and Fulham as a centre forward he came to Leicester in 1950. He moved to inside left and began scoring prolifically in the Second and First Divisions totalling 251 League and 14 FA Cup goals for us. In 1958 he moved to Shrewsbury as player-manager and kept scoring - 152 goals. I recall that when he was on the cusp of his record hundreds of Leicester fans travelled to Shrewsbury to see the goal. He finished his career with an astonishing 434 league goals. As a kid I saw him score many times - he was nicknamed "Gunner" on account of his explosive shot.Perhaps when remembering Lineker's achievements and the heroic Vardy we should spare a thought for the greatest ever goal- scorer in the English game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

Dead right and although Lineker reached the heights internationally it was Vardy's goals which drove us to our greatest triumph. But can I introduce a third contender for the title of our our greatest striker? Since 1888 when the Football League was founded many thousands have played.One man scored more goals than any other and he scored most of them at Leicester. His name was Arthur Rowley. After a low key start to his career scoring 30 goals at WBA and Fulham as a centre forward he came to Leicester in 1950. He moved to inside left and began scoring prolifically in the Second and First Divisions totalling 251 League and 14 FA Cup goals for us. In 1958 he moved to Shrewsbury as player-manager and kept scoring - 152 goals. I recall that when he was on the cusp of his record hundreds of Leicester fans travelled to Shrewsbury to see the goal. He finished his career with an astonishing 434 league goals. As a kid I saw him score many times - he was nicknamed "Gunner" on account of his explosive shot.Perhaps when remembering Lineker's achievements and the heroic Vardy we should spare a thought for the greatest ever goal- scorer in the English game.

yep, the titles and cups he won us was phenomenal,. miles better than Vardy will ever be

Edited by treer
  • Haha 1