Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Send this geezer the GIF of him nearly destroying Man City if it weren't for Iheanacho. Hold me back, i'm about ready to windmill.

lol 

I get it and I love watching him as much as the next fan, I just don't buy into the hype that he will become a mainstay here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonaldinho said:

Hamza has endeared himself to the fans because he's homegrown and he charges around making big tackles, but he doesn't have much defensive positional sense or technical ability. I'd be shocked if he became a regular in any Premier League side. 

I never thought Hamza would make it after about 5 mins into his debut as his weight of pass was awful even when not under pressure. He has improved immeasurably since then so I put his debut down to nerves. He is a great athlete and tackler and is an asset to any squad as he is particularly useful when holding on to a lead. 

I'm all for a smaller squad with more quality. I'd prefer to see Choudhury as Ndidi's understudy and a regular on the bench who can come on and help see a game out. Mendy is an average player at an age that he is unlikely to improve. I'm also not keen on midfielders who don't excel in key passes and assists or tackles and interceptions. If you're not helping to score goals or not helping to stop them then I'm not a fan. 

Take the money and move on as Mendy won't be a big loss to the team and squad. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Hamza's issue at the moment is that BR might be reluctant to pick him as he's a red card waiting to happen, especially now that we have VAR, which makes tackles look much worse in slow motion.

It's so funny...We have had posters coming out with sweeping statements..

Like "A red card waiting"...,then the player doesnt even get near one...!!!

But stays with some posters for seasons, then one ..I say,!! One comes

along then they all shout ureka!!

I told you so..!!

Fans hey!!  Who'd have ' em..!!  :giggle:

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I never thought Hamza would make it after about 5 mins into his debut as his weight of pass was awful even when not under pressure. He has improved immeasurably since then so I put his debut down to nerves. He is a great athlete and tackler and is an asset to any squad as he is particularly useful when holding on to a lead. 

I'm all for a smaller squad with more quality. I'd prefer to see Choudhury as Ndidi's understudy and a regular on the bench who can come on and help see a game out. Mendy is an average player at an age that he is unlikely to improve. I'm also not keen on midfielders who don't excel in key passes and assists or tackles and interceptions. If you're not helping to score goals or not helping to stop them then I'm not a fan. 

Take the money and move on as Mendy won't be a big loss to the team and squad. 

I'm sure Rodgers will be a good judge of the situation as a professional manager who sees and works with him every day. He's hardly an old player and it would be foolish to rely on kids throughout the team in every position. As for past performances, you have course no idea going into the games he's played precisely what job he was being asked to do by more than one manager and we can only guess. It could also be argued  that due to unfortunate injury, last season was his first with us and it is well documented that when he went back to France on loan, he was playing with an injury, so desperate was he to play. I very much doubt therefore whether you or I in our position as armchair bystanders have the ability  to judge Mendy's potential for improvement or not. Neither can we judge how he will respond to the different types of responsibility Rodgers may task him with. He was bought with a very decent pedigree which he could hardly show when injured. Personally I think he'll train on and like many examples of foreign footballer, will improve in his second year of play. He's apparently performed well thus far in preseason.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gerard said:

I never thought Hamza would make it after about 5 mins into his debut as his weight of pass was awful even when not under pressure. 

Maybe judging him 5 minutes into his debut wasn't your best move.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

id like Mendy to stay.

However the emergence of Hamza has made it a little bit easier to accept an offer on Mendy. it would give us the option of rebalancing the squad without too much strain on the finances too. It would also be a clear indication that we would be playing just one DM going forward, although i think we all knew that already..

i hope there aren’t many who WANT to get rid of him  ‘ because he’s crap’.. it would all be about balancing the squad.

Edited by MPH

1 hour ago, MPH said:

id like Mendy to stay.

However the emergence of Hamza has made it a little bit easier to accept an offer on Mendy. it would give us the option of rebalancing the squad without too much strain on the finances too. It would also be a clear indication that we would be playing just one DM going forward, although i think we all knew that already..

i hope there aren’t many who WANT to get rid of him  ‘ because he’s crap’.. it would all be about balancing the squad.

dont thinks hes crap he just dont offer a lot we have better already here and i do believe if silva stays and gets games could be the answer 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

It's so funny...We have had posters coming out with sweeping statements..

Like "A red card waiting"...,then the player doesnt even get near one...!!!

But stays with some posters for seasons, then one ..I say,!! One comes

along then they all shout ureka!!

I told you so..!!

Fans hey!!  Who'd have ' em..!!  :giggle:

He was literally sent off for England U21s last month.

Great option off the bench. Offers something different, a lot more defensive minded midfielder. It would be a shame to see him leave on a free transfer once his deal expires but you wouldn’t be surprised if it happened because of lack of game time.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Hahaha. I hope so.

All this hamza v Mendy talk is off the mark. 

Hamza is an all action, all guns blazing sort of player. Mendy is much more understated and refined.

I have a near obsession with players that have the ability (and willingness) to receive the ball when marked and/or under pressure. An all too rare commodity outside of the elite teams. Mendy has that. 

Drinky did too. Cambiasso and Kante (obvs). 

Right now, Ricardo, Maguire, Mendy, Tielemans, Chilwell and Maddison all have it. And, don't laugh, Amartey is willing, if not always able. 

Hamza is more box to box while Mendy just sits / different roles 

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

He just seems a nice chap that everyone likes. Wouldnt be upset if he got an extra year or two. Can play a part next season for sure. 

If we’re really only going to get 5m to 10m for him I’d much rather keep him. He’s a decent player, good attitude and reliable.

8 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If we’re really only going to get 5m to 10m for him I’d much rather keep him. He’s a decent player, good attitude and reliable.

I dont think this is the issue. I think he personally wants to be first choice somewhere which is fair enough

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I dont think this is the issue. I think he personally wants to be first choice somewhere which is fair enough

If he wants to go then fair enough. He’s unlikely to be first choice, but I suspect he has a part to play if he chooses to stay.

Rodgers said after the game last night he tends to overload the squad with midfield players, but he didn't exactly deny Mendy leaving. Having said that, Amartey playing with the U23s tonight while the likes of King were with the seniors suggests he's not wanted either. James still won't be fit for the Stoke and Rotherham games so he has missed what little chance he had to get back into contention.

If Mendy goes, that leaves us with Ndidi, Choudhury, Tielemans and Maddison, with another no.8 expected to come in. That to me doesn't sound like an overload, so does that open the door to King or Silva to stay? 

• Like 1

If another club comes in for him with a decent offer for him then fair play, but he's far from deadwood. He's been good servant despite trying circumstance when he first arrived but has shown to plenty of us that he's good at the DM role. And as shown under Rodgers that he's a fantastic water carrier to keep the ball and move it about against lesser opposition or brought on in the second half, to calm things down and keep it tight when we don't need the destructive rhythm stopper of Ndidi or to help him see the game out against tougher teams. 

Edited by LC/FC