Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

Let’s not forget Wilf has been playing in Afcon for Nigeria including 3rd/4th place play off tonight. ...very hot humid conditions ...Realistically the earliest he will be back is tomorrow, a little more than 3weeks before our opener and I would think he will need at least 3weeks of a break so I think Mendy and Hamza will have important roles to play in our first 2/3 matches 

1 hour ago, daverollo said:

Appreciate it is only one game against lower opposition - but was what noticeable last nice is he didn't dwell on the ball he looked to move with energy.  When there was space he would move forward and look to pick a pass in a forward direction.  Clearly a sign that he can take on board what the manager wants.  The other thing that we didn't see under Puel is more raking direct passes (not just from Mendy) generally in a cross field direction to switch the play, something that was a feature of his highlights real when he first signed for us.  In terms of pecking order he falls in just behind N'Diddi, Tielmans and Maddison for the 3 midfield slots, but an able stand in and maybe push for a regular spot if he continues to impress.

May as well keep for this season, unless a more capable player is signed.

It wasnt just that he pass well, he didnt offer much apart from chase the ball

2000 minutes averaging 1 tackle 1 interception a game.

So if youre not defending or adding anything offensively what are you doing in a game 

16 minutes ago, irishfoxkev said:

Let’s not forget Wilf has been playing in Afcon for Nigeria including 3rd/4th place play off tonight. ...very hot humid conditions ...Realistically the earliest he will be back is tomorrow, a little more than 3weeks before our opener and I would think he will need at least 3weeks of a break so I think Mendy and Hamza will have important roles to play in our first 2/3 matches 

Indeed

wilf will be off for two weeks min, probably three 

that means he comes back as the season starts so he could be missing until Sheffield Utd game 3

On 18/07/2019 at 04:22, st albans fox said:

Indeed

wilf will be off for two weeks min, probably three 

that means he comes back as the season starts so he could be missing until Sheffield Utd game 3

These youngsters! Seem to remember Wes playing all the way through the close season and then starting the next on time.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2019 at 20:41, mad biker said:

Yep a walking final score, defending a lead get him on = 3pts  :-)

I think he needs to go.  I don't like the idea of bringing on a defensive midfielder  for the last 20.  It is basically inviting the opposition to attack and what happens if they score?  You have just compromised your ability to hit back.

Mendy himself will want to play, not just to be a part time road block. 

A move will benefit both parties as we can get another off the wage bill and maybe get that other no. 8 that the club has talked about.

Tackling/intercepting/sensing danger are the things what he's meant to be good at as a DM, but personally think Choudhury and Ndidi are miles ahead in those areas. 

Do think he has contributed well at times for us. Just think he's a very limited player we should move on from now

If we got 8-10mill for him that would be good business for both parties as he is unlikely to be first choice barring injuries etc but I would also happily keep unless we got the right offer as he is more than capable of doing a job for us. That said if we are going to keep he needs to be put on a new contract or he will go for free next year. 

11 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

These youngsters! Seem to remember Wes playing all the way through the close season and then starting the next on time.

And not just one season...!?

Ndidi I week at Butlins Clacton.

Then back to his club for some serious

Team talks & binding.

He has next summer to relax!!

Mendy channeling his inner-Tielemens with that assist. Which was probably our biggest knock against him last season - even though he was probably doing what he was told he was too defensive with his passing. Maybe under Rodgers he will be more progressive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wizerud said:

Mendy channeling his inner-Tielemens with that assist. Which was probably our biggest knock against him last season - even though he was probably doing what he was told he was too defensive with his passing. Maybe under Rodgers he will be more progressive.

If there's two things that Rodgers instills in all his players its "move forward" and "faster". I don't see how you can play in one of his teams and not be aggressive.

That's the what I noticed about Mendy today. The speed of his passing and his larger range of positioning. If he's going to stay he'll have to do more.

I like Papy. He is a very different kind of DMC to Wilf, closing space rather than leaping in, and his short passing is much more reliable. If we have a lead, Papy will keep us ticking over much better than Wilf, even if his interventions are less appealing to us fans.

He has spent his whole career in France trying to pass sides to death, but if BR can get him to be more progressive he could be very valuable. Wilf cannot go on playing in every game, and I think relying on Hamza and Amartey as back up is risky if we want to push for the top 6.

The only problems are the contract situation and blocking of youth, but on balance I'd prefer Papy's experience in that key role. Hamza is good but he isn't really that disciplined yet (see England under 21's), and Daniel is only just back from a terrible injury.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 4