Sign in to follow this  
davieG

Papy Mendy

1 hour ago, M0901 said:

Mendy still has a lot to offer this team. Even if he's not a starting player, he's one hell of a player to have in reserve. Tidy, good on the ball, a nice player to have in this squad. 

Yep a walking final score, defending a lead get him on = 3pts  :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

All he’ll ever be is a decent squad player, he’s no more and no less than that. Pleased for him after his injury troubles that he’s back playing regularly and found his role for us, worth keeping for the time being. 

Although, he has had a couple of shockers in an LCFC shirt, notably Man U at home last season, he was woeful. Think Rodgers has half a brain though and can see, unlike Puel, that he needs players a bit more technically gifted than Wilf next to/around him. Them two really can’t play together 

Puel knew too. That's why he got us Tielemans. No need to bash puel on this area. He worked with what he had.

• Like 3

Let’s not forget Wilf has been playing in Afcon for Nigeria including 3rd/4th place play off tonight. ...very hot humid conditions ...Realistically the earliest he will be back is tomorrow, a little more than 3weeks before our opener and I would think he will need at least 3weeks of a break so I think Mendy and Hamza will have important roles to play in our first 2/3 matches 

1 hour ago, daverollo said:

Appreciate it is only one game against lower opposition - but was what noticeable last nice is he didn't dwell on the ball he looked to move with energy.  When there was space he would move forward and look to pick a pass in a forward direction.  Clearly a sign that he can take on board what the manager wants.  The other thing that we didn't see under Puel is more raking direct passes (not just from Mendy) generally in a cross field direction to switch the play, something that was a feature of his highlights real when he first signed for us.  In terms of pecking order he falls in just behind N'Diddi, Tielmans and Maddison for the 3 midfield slots, but an able stand in and maybe push for a regular spot if he continues to impress.

May as well keep for this season, unless a more capable player is signed.

It wasnt just that he pass well, he didnt offer much apart from chase the ball

2000 minutes averaging 1 tackle 1 interception a game.

So if youre not defending or adding anything offensively what are you doing in a game 

16 minutes ago, irishfoxkev said:

Let’s not forget Wilf has been playing in Afcon for Nigeria including 3rd/4th place play off tonight. ...very hot humid conditions ...Realistically the earliest he will be back is tomorrow, a little more than 3weeks before our opener and I would think he will need at least 3weeks of a break so I think Mendy and Hamza will have important roles to play in our first 2/3 matches 

Indeed

wilf will be off for two weeks min, probably three 

that means he comes back as the season starts so he could be missing until Sheffield Utd game 3

I'm a fan. Steady player and hope we keep long term. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sdb said:

I'm a fan. Steady player and hope we keep long term. 

Yeah he does the basics so well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Puel knew too. That's why he got us Tielemans. No need to bash puel on this area. He worked with what he had.

No I stick by what I say, he went in to the season with Silva, Mendy, Ndidi and Iborra as his 4 options for 2 spots. 

Any manager worth their salt, who works day in day out with their players in pre-season, would have addressed that in the summer before or have given Silva a longer run of games. Just because he made some good signings and had good ideas doesn’t mean I can’t fault the fact he had some terrible decision making and was overall, in my opinion, a very poor manager 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 18/07/2019 at 04:22, st albans fox said:

Indeed

wilf will be off for two weeks min, probably three 

that means he comes back as the season starts so he could be missing until Sheffield Utd game 3

These youngsters! Seem to remember Wes playing all the way through the close season and then starting the next on time.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2019 at 20:41, mad biker said:

Yep a walking final score, defending a lead get him on = 3pts  :-)

I think he needs to go.  I don't like the idea of bringing on a defensive midfielder  for the last 20.  It is basically inviting the opposition to attack and what happens if they score?  You have just compromised your ability to hit back.

Mendy himself will want to play, not just to be a part time road block. 

A move will benefit both parties as we can get another off the wage bill and maybe get that other no. 8 that the club has talked about.

There are more worthy cases for binning off than him.  Would like to see them out first. Mendy has his uses.

Tackling/intercepting/sensing danger are the things what he's meant to be good at as a DM, but personally think Choudhury and Ndidi are miles ahead in those areas. 

Do think he has contributed well at times for us. Just think he's a very limited player we should move on from now

If we got 8-10mill for him that would be good business for both parties as he is unlikely to be first choice barring injuries etc but I would also happily keep unless we got the right offer as he is more than capable of doing a job for us. That said if we are going to keep he needs to be put on a new contract or he will go for free next year. 

6 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Ranieri stated clearly on two occasions that he was the coach and had no say in transfers. Puel I believe had some. You of course (and I) don't know the mechanics of what happened. The fact that it was while  Puel was here we got Tielemens from a club where he had contacts suggests for example that he may have had a role in that and no doubt had recognised that positional problem a long before. Puel joined at the end of October and therefore any transfers had been done. He was lumbered for the most part with a bunch of ill  bought misfits with the odd gems scattered amongst them.

I'm sure he was astute enough by the summer transfer window to know where our weaknesses lay, combined, like now, with a group who were difficult to shift. The crux is here, again as always, is that we don't know what the transfer budget was that year and who the club tried to get (Tielemans would not have been available at that stage for example). You can't buy from people who won't sell or a player who doesn't want to come and to foreign players, we're not the first club you they'd think of. We just don't know but, most of the transfer dealings were decent. It was that yawning one midfield position that was a huge problem as we had a plethora of either defensive or foreign import duds. The particular type of midfielder we were after is a hard to get one. Puel I'm sure, would have known but he's not a magician and had to go with what he'd got. If the club for whatever reason couldn't or wouldn't get one, again he was stuck with what he'd got. He had after all in Ricardo and Maddison seemingly addressed two of the wish list problems . It always was going to be a longer term restructuring problem. I'm not saying one player would have altered his ways or stopped him getting sacked but he was absolutely nowhere near as bad as people like you make out and Rodgers has inherited some good things thanks to him.

Should have played Silva then 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

These youngsters! Seem to remember Wes playing all the way through the close season and then starting the next on time.

And not just one season...!?

Ndidi I week at Butlins Clacton.

Then back to his club for some serious

Team talks & binding.

He has next summer to relax!!

4 minutes ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Been outstanding so far in preseason imo. Finally an assist! 

What a time to be alive, one of those remember where you were moments.

• Haha 3

Mendy channeling his inner-Tielemens with that assist. Which was probably our biggest knock against him last season - even though he was probably doing what he was told he was too defensive with his passing. Maybe under Rodgers he will be more progressive.

• Like 2

I’m all for keeping him based on his preseason so far, hopefully we’ll give him a years extension

1 hour ago, Wizerud said:

Mendy channeling his inner-Tielemens with that assist. Which was probably our biggest knock against him last season - even though he was probably doing what he was told he was too defensive with his passing. Maybe under Rodgers he will be more progressive.

If there's two things that Rodgers instills in all his players its "move forward" and "faster". I don't see how you can play in one of his teams and not be aggressive.

That's the what I noticed about Mendy today. The speed of his passing and his larger range of positioning. If he's going to stay he'll have to do more.

He's a good player but a year left on contract and isn't getting ahead of Ndidi or Tielemans and maybe even Choudhury if he cracks on.

So give him a new contract or sell and replace appropriately