Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

Actually think Arsenal have played a blinder in this window. Everyone knows they are skint, but they are still going to spend circa 60m on Zaha.

But then again it might be 3m for the next 20 years....

10 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

If he leaves it means our starting the season with Hamza while Ndidi recovers from Afcon. Just saying.

Not necessarily.

Afcon is over and he'll prob be back next week?

Also, he is made out of titanium like a terminator.  He'll be fine.

25 minutes ago, murphy said:

Not necessarily.

Afcon is over and he'll prob be back next week?

Also, he is made out of titanium like a terminator.  He'll be fine.

Ha! He may well be!

But if we want to minimise the risk of injury or fatigue later in the season he’ll need a rest now to recover from an 11 month season.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

More reports of us being in talks with St. Etienne today. What kind of fee would we be hoping for do you think?

I can't see us getting the 13m we paid for him. Mental at the time it was a club record fee ?

7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

More reports of us being in talks with St. Etienne today. What kind of fee would we be hoping for do you think?

Gotta be worth £8-10M surely. IIRC we paid about £13m for him in 2016 so we should be able to recoup a good proportion of that. Despite what some people seem to think, he is still a good player, and at 27 is probably reaching his prime years having seemingly put his injury problems behind him. Only down side is that he only has a year left and unless we cash in now (or offer him a new contract) we could end up losing him on a free. If we cant get a decent fee for him I would keep and give him a new deal, at least that way, even if he is not first choice we still retain some sell on value at a later date.  OK so he is no HM but we should follow the same principal and if we do not receive what we consider a fair offer then he stays.

• Like 2

Just now, urban fox said:

Gotta be worth £8-10M surely. IIRC we paid about £13m for him in 2016 so we should be able to recoup a good proportion of that. Despite what some people seem to think, he is still a good player, and at 27 is probably reaching his prime years having seemingly put his injury problems behind him. Only down side is that he only has a year left and unless we cash in now (or offer him a new contract) we could end up losing him on a free. If we cant get a decent fee for him I would keep and give him a new deal, at least that way, even if he is not first choice we still retain some sell on value at a later date.  OK so he is no HM but we should follow the same principal and if we do not receive what we consider a fair offer then he stays.

Yeah- I’m the current climate it wouldn’t surprise me if he was worth exactly what we paid for him but we’d surely be okay with getting circa 9-11 million for him?

19 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I'd hope for around £10million, potentially more as he's reaching his prime years.

Actually wouldn't object to him getting a contract extension, he seems to be a good team player and get on well with the squad.

• Like 1

Hope he stays actually. Get rid of Slimbarmi first and foremost, then others who will not be afforded a place in our eventual EPL 25. 

Around £5 to 7 million would be a fair price as he is out of contract soon and given he got off to a disastrous start the injury concerns knocks a bit of the price off. 

I don't think he is that bad but has just been a bit unlucky a la Kramaric. Either way we get a somewhat decent backup player or we get him off the books. It's a win win of sorts.

I'd like to see him stay and I'd still consider him a much better player than Hamza, despite all the hype around him. If Ndidi wasn't fit or we needed someone to keep things tight for the last 20 minutes then he'd be my first choice every time. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jonaldinho said:

consider him a much better player than Hamza

:nigel:

FT definitely over hypes our young players atm, Hamza and Barnes in particularly are somewhat over rated at the moment. 

But that's a serious stretch, especially given "much."

There's almost nothing in it on technical ability, Mendy has a bit more calmness and composure on the ball, sure, but then Hamza is about fifty times more athletic. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

FT definitely over hypes our young players atm, Hamza and Barnes in particularly are somewhat over rated at the moment. 

There's almost nothing in it on technical ability, Mendy has a bit more calmness and composure on the ball, sure, but then Hamza is about fifty times more athletic. 

Send this geezer the GIF of him nearly destroying Man City if it weren't for Iheanacho. Hold me back, i'm about ready to windmill.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Hamza has endeared himself to the fans because he's homegrown and he charges around making big tackles, but he doesn't have much defensive positional sense or technical ability. I'd be shocked if he became a regular in any Premier League side. 

• Like 1

Hamza will become a much better player than Mendy in the not too distant future. He's still rough around the ages but looked fantastic at times last season. Mendy is solid, nothing more, nothing less. Hamza has the potential to be top drawer in my opinion.

• Like 1