Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

First choice will be wilf

second choice will be hamza

mendy probably doesn’t want to hang around on the bench when he can play regularly for a decent league un outfit 

silva will find a club 

Well it's all opinions but IMO Papy is miles ahead of Choudhury right now.

His touch, his passing (albeit unimaginative) positional and tactical awareness are way ahead. And so they should be at 27.

Rodgers is on record saying that Choudhury is suitable for playing in a three....unsaid therefore that he doesn't fancy him in a two.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

It doesn't make sense that we are looking to offload Papy, with that clown Silva still stinking the gaff out.

And it was clear that Amartey had been placed with the stiffs yesterday. And Papy with the first XI

Two words... Wage & Bill

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Well it's all opinions but IMO Papy is miles ahead of Choudhury right now.

His touch, his passing (albeit unimaginative) positional and tactical awareness are way ahead. And so they should be at 27.

Rodgers is on record saying that Choudhury is suitable for playing in a three....unsaid therefore that he doesn't fancy him in a two.

I don't think there's a lot between Mendy and Choudhury, really. Mendy might be the better player right now, but for how long? I think Hamza has a lot of potential, and having two players ahead of him in the pecking order for one place in the team isn't ideal. He might never play if Wilf and Papy stay fit. He'll improve quicker if he gets minutes.

I don't think we'll be using a two-man midfield much any time soon, so I don't think that matters.

With Mendy entering the last year of his contract, it may be the case that he intends to leave next summer whether we want him to or not. If that's the case, then I think the sensible thing to do is to cash in now.

I think Mendy is a good squad player to have, but the squad is too big and players need to be shifted out.

28 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Could this be Mendy agent trying to get him a new contract here?

Hopefully we don't fall for it, because he'll just be the next King/James that we can't shift. He's not started a single game for Rodgers, he isn't what he wants.

:( honestly think he’s ideal to keep around!

But I can understand it, and in this case we’re letting one DM go in favour of balancing things out for a more attack minded midfielder.

I think Mindy played over 30 league games last season?

While I can see us starting with Tielemans and Ndidi, he makes the bench and possibly plays when we want to set up more defensively.

If we sell it is much more of a loss than Silva, James or King.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finn Claw II said:

I think Mindy played over 30 league games last season?

While I can see us starting with Tielemans and Ndidi, he makes the bench and possibly plays when we want to set up more defensively.

If we sell it is much more of a loss than Silva, James or King.

He did and that pairing of Wilf and Mendy made it glaringly obvious that we needed change.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Shame if he's leaving, but I'd understand if he wants to be playing football week-in, week-out as he's more than good enough to do that for someone. A shame really he got such a severe injury so early on in his career here, as that made us go and get Ndidi.

He's looked great in the preseason. He offers great service to our attacking players, something Ndidi's passing can't really offer. Hamza may fill that void if he keeps progressing. I'd be sad to see Mendy go but, as with centre halves, DM is an incredibly over subscribed position in our squad, with academy graduates also pushing for a spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

If he leaves it means our starting the season with Hamza while Ndidi recovers from Afcon. Just saying.

Presumably this is why Amartey played there in pre-season too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Presumably this is why Amartey played there in pre-season too.

That's a damn good point, Amartey is and always has been a reliable understudy. Just gets the job done, I was thinking he'd probably benefit from a loan move to try and get 25-30 games next season after his horrific injury but depending on the next few weeks transfer activity he could have a role to play here next season.

• Like 4

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Would be sad to see him go personally. 

Me too. I like him a lot. Maybe he has been told his role for the season and he has decided he wants more football than is on offer though :dunno:

• Like 2