Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

I think next season it will become about a good partnership. Vardy is no longer able to carry the team by scoring important goals most weeks. However, if he can contribute just 10-12 goals and have his partner (hopefully Iheanacho) hit 15 or so goals (or more of course) then that will be successful. We then need continuing contributions from elsewhere such as Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans.

Team set up and lack of Barnes is part of the explanation for Vardy being so poor over the last 5 months. But outside of that he's still missed a host of chances you'd expect him to score, his touch is poor, his pace has largely gone and he's constantly found offside. 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 1

He's in the side due to his legendary status (and the fact Kelechi struggles in isolation up top).  And I think Brendan/the club think he's going to scare defenders with his pace.  Unfortunately he's not.  His pace has gone and most defenders know how to deal with him.  He's now more of a support role to Kelechi, making space for him and to be fair, he's hit him with a few assists too lately.

I agree with what a few others have said - in terms of him becoming a player to bring on around 65/70 mins, and I'd hope that during those shorter game times that he could show a burst of energy, throwing himself around to put defenders under real pressure - like he used to for 90 mins week in week out.

Massive shame to see his pace go, first touch pretty much gone and with the chances he has had unfortunately he's not finding the net.  People talk about lack of service, but Vardy's not quick enough to latch onto a ball over the top, and when it comes to his feet he's not going to turn on it and take a man on.  Classic Vardy made his own chances by harassing defenders into making mistakes.  And unfortunately he can't do that anymore.

Still a legend.  Always will be a legend.  But like a few of us said about a year ago, we really need to bring in his replacement asap.  Hopefully a good rest and some time at home with Rebecca Vardy will give him the calming, healing environment he needs to come back and be ready to go again.

He turns 35 next season, his pace is no longer what it was, his energy levels are tiring, threat diminished... he is our GOAT but please, let's not flog a dying horse. If you genuinely can post on here moaning about missing out on top 4 etc then you can't be seriously expecting Vardy to have a summer break and return as 15/16 Vardy!!! 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Blanchflower78 said:

He turns 35 next season, his pace is no longer what it was, his energy levels are tiring, threat diminished... he is our GOAT but please, let's not flog a dying horse. If you genuinely can post on here moaning about missing out on top 4 etc then you can't be seriously expecting Vardy to have a summer break and return as 15/16 Vardy!!! 🤦‍♂️

No one is expecting him to return as 2015/16 Vardy. But, personally at least, I'm expecting him to hit the levels of the beginning of the season and last year after a full and proper pre season and an extended break. 

• Like 2

Just been looking at his goal scoring record prior to a few weeks before his operation, when he must have been injured and comparing it to after. I'd forgotten that he played every game after the op, so he had no extra recovery time. 

Anyway, seems to me that he's obviously either that he's not fully recovered or that the loss of Justin and Barnes have restricted his goal opurtunities. 

• Like 2

Is a shame his decline has realised itself almost all of a sudden but it was always going to come. Someone mentioned a Defoe style role, I’m not sure mentally he would be up for that but what is clear is that we need two strikers this summer not just a Vardy back up *

*i hope that post Sunday this post looks foolish as he hits a hat trick, puts Kane on his arse and gets Lloris sent off…

Once upon a time there was a 34 year old Sheffield born Jack the lad character who had made a mockery of modern day football. 4 days earlier a very scruffy side managed my the scotch egg headed Sean Dyche completed a famous league double over Liverpool.

Now on this glorious Sunday afternoon back in front of his army of worshippers, Sir Jamie Vardy picked himself up after months of poor performance and completed his Hollywood tale. Needing just a point to qualify for the Champions League on the back of winning the FA Cup for the first time in his clubs history, and time running out with the standard 2 goals from the odious and soon to depart Harry Kane, Leicester needed to find an equaliser. It was torture for the 8000 fans who were allowed in, the team were spent, out on their feet with no alternatives.

4 minutes go up on the board, we can't let it end like this. A long aimless ball is pumped in to the Spurs half, it looks food and drink for their defence but Soyuncu has ran 25 yards to launch himself at it and gets his head to it before Alderweild, there's a scramble and Iheanacho slips in Vardy 15 yards out with 3 players around him, he smashes it without looking near post and before Lloris can get done for drink driving again its in the back of the net and the greatest of all time has sent this club in to dreamland once again.

90+4 Vardy 

• Haha 1

He was on fire start of the season.

He got injured, and has not fully recovered.

Give him time and a preseason. It is the least his service deserves.

It is not like he gets quality service and chances every game, he's been starved of opportunities.

He is a legend! He deserves a statue & a role for life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, enmac said:

Find it hard to judge, myself. Before Christmas he was the leading scorer in the PL. After an injury, he's suddenly finished a few months later. I feel it's too early to judge . Let's see what he's like after a decent rest and a proper pre season. 

Between Spurs Away in Feb 2015 - Man City away in December 2019, he went from a very talented raw talent - a world class elite striker who was in his prime and no one should underestimate how good he was at his pomp because of what we’ve seen over the last year or so.

The 15/16 will get the headlines but what he did when Shakespeare came in 16/17 showed he was quality and not a 1 season wonder.

17/18 he was fabulous in a largely underwhelming team and 18/19 Rodgers got him back and he showed how he can adjust styles and still be equally effective in different systems.

His form in 19/20 was outrageous and at 32 years old having 17 goals by the first 18 games was really sensational culminating in the Man City away game where he scored a raw world class goal and played fantastically.

Unfortunately he broke down vs Liverpool, was off and on for few games in and out and then at 33 years old, went into lockdown with 3 months out and injuries and age waiting for no man, it is kind of inevitable it would eventually happen.

Well that above is what I wrote in my initial post. He’s been on the decline since he came back from injury then in December 2019. We went into lockdown so had 3 months more of him getting older and having been injured.

He never was the same since then. He started showing signs of how different he was in the game he got his 100th goal(he was awfully wasteful).

This new season he started ok but was boosted by a lot of penalties. At the half way mark he had 6/11 goals were pens. 5 open play goals of which 3 were tap ins and 1 was a 1 on 1. Only Man City away that flick was a goal that wernt a gift for any adequate striker.

Hes then got 2 in 25, 1 of which was an absolute gift from Alison.

He was 2nd in the Prem for missed big chances, which is extraordinary considering how good he was(1 of the best).

This decline isn’t a knee jerk reaction, it’s been gradually happening since for 18 months now.

He’s still had a decent season in terms of hard work, goals and assists and our recent formation and mind set don’t help him living off scraps but it’s clear it’s coming to the end.

Hes finishing has gone - West Ham at home, Leeds away,  Everton home, Man Utd home(even though it went in as an og), Southampton home he missed about 3, Chelsea home, Wolves away, Liverpool at home about 3, Sheffield Utd home he missed 3, Palace at home and Southampton away.

I count that as 17 good chances he’s missed. (1s I’m counting as great chances or some that arnt sitters but are definitely possibles). He should of got at least 6-10 more goals from them and it’s not bad form, it’s a change in his body and age.

Its time we accept him for what he is now. It’s taking nothing away from what he was, I’m his biggest fan and as I said, in his prime he was arguably a top 10 ever prem striker and should be in the Hall of Fame when he retires, but everyone has that year or 2 that Father Time comes calling and it’s very sad but unfortunately was always going to come.

8 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Between Spurs Away in Feb 2015 - Man City away in December 2019, he went from a very talented raw talent - a world class elite striker who was in his prime and no one should underestimate how good he was at his pomp because of what we’ve seen over the last year or so.

The 15/16 will get the headlines but what he did when Shakespeare came in 16/17 showed he was quality and not a 1 season wonder.

17/18 he was fabulous in a largely underwhelming team and 18/19 Rodgers got him back and he showed how he can adjust styles and still be equally effective in different systems.

His form in 19/20 was outrageous and at 32 years old having 17 goals by the first 18 games was really sensational culminating in the Man City away game where he scored a raw world class goal and played fantastically.

Unfortunately he broke down vs Liverpool, was off and on for few games in and out and then at 33 years old, went into lockdown with 3 months out and injuries and age waiting for no man, it is kind of inevitable it would eventually happen.

Well that above is what I wrote in my initial post. He’s been on the decline since he came back from injury then in December 2019. We went into lockdown so had 3 months more of him getting older and having been injured.

He never was the same since then. He started showing signs of how different he was in the game he got his 100th goal(he was awfully wasteful).

This new season he started ok but was boosted by a lot of penalties. At the half way mark he had 6/11 goals were pens. 5 open play goals of which 3 were tap ins and 1 was a 1 on 1. Only Man City away that flick was a goal that wernt a gift for any adequate striker.

Hes then got 2 in 25, 1 of which was an absolute gift from Alison.

He was 2nd in the Prem for missed big chances, which is extraordinary considering how good he was(1 of the best).

This decline isn’t a knee jerk reaction, it’s been gradually happening since for 18 months now.

He’s still had a decent season in terms of hard work, goals and assists and our recent formation and mind set don’t help him living off scraps but it’s clear it’s coming to the end.

Hes finishing has gone - West Ham at home, Leeds away,  Everton home, Man Utd home(even though it went in as an og), Southampton home he missed about 3, Chelsea home, Wolves away, Liverpool at home about 3, Sheffield Utd home he missed 3, Palace at home and Southampton away.

I count that as 17 good chances he’s missed. (1s I’m counting as great chances or some that arnt sitters but are definitely possibles). He should of got at least 6-10 more goals from them and it’s not bad form, it’s a change in his body and age.

Its time we accept him for what he is now. It’s taking nothing away from what he was, I’m his biggest fan and as I said, in his prime he was arguably a top 10 ever prem striker and should be in the Hall of Fame when he retires, but everyone has that year or 2 that Father Time comes calling and it’s very sad but unfortunately was always going to come.

Very interesting, well researched post.

However, you make a key statement : "He was 2nd in the Prem for missed big chances.."  Surely, missing chances is not a sign of aging. In fact, I'd regard it as positive news. Heard many times ex strikers saying being in the right place is key. Better to be in the right place and missing than never being in right place. This suggests it's more of a psychological problem rather than a physical one.

Of course, this is is mere conjecture but I still stand by caution in writing him off. Let's wait and see how he is next season after a decent rest and a normal pre season. 

I don't think he can be expected to play both weekend and mid week games and so an extra striker, which seems likely is a must. 

1 minute ago, enmac said:

Very interesting, well researched post.

However, you make a key statement : "He was 2nd in the Prem for missed big chances.."  Surely, missing chances is not a sign of aging. In fact, I'd regard it as positive news. Heard many times ex strikers saying being in the right place is key. Better to be in the right place and missing than never being in right place. This suggests it's more of a psychological problem rather than a physical one.

Of course, this is is mere conjecture but I still stand by caution in writing him off. Let's wait and see how he is next season after a decent rest and a normal pre season. 

I don't think he can be expected to play both weekend and mid week games and so an extra striker, which seems likely is a must. 

Yeah that’s what I was thinking for months - it’s good that he’s getting the chances etc. However it is too many missed chances to say it’s just psychological I think. He’s 34 and 1/2 years old, I know he’s a freak but that rarely happens and not declining. Most world class players at this age are bench warmers or playing in the MLS. He’s done brilliantly, I love the bloke and he’s our greatest ever player but the time is coming in my opinion.

Im not writing him off as a Leicester player, I’m writing him off/lowering expectations of him returning to yesteryear or anything close to it.

Man City away December 2019 is the last time I watched the ‘real’ Jamie Vardy. Since then I’ve watched him with a bit of acceptance but not writing him off.

He still offers a part in our team, he still works well with Nacho and I believe Nachos great goal record is a lot to do with Vardys presence. 

We need to sign a new striker and have Nacho and the new striker battling with him. He still gives an option and can play 20-25 games next season and won’t be a burden to our form.

Our biggest problem that I’ve said a lot on other threads is 100% this formation we are using.

I mentioned how it don’t help Albrighton and Castange defensively being out of their best position and it gives Youri and Wilf to much work, but it also does effect Vardy and Madders and the time on the ball as were so deep.

Another huge reason to back up why this 5 atb formation is utter garbage right here.

Agree with just about everything here especially 5 at the back, but how do we accommodate both iheanacho and Vardy as they seem pretty crucial for each other? Possibly play iheanacho as a number 10? Nothing seems obvious to me. 

It is quite concerning but I'm not convinced he's finished just yet. I think he's been playing while not fully fit for months in order to 'help' the team. Whether it has helped the team is another matter.

• Like 2

As it stands, Vardy is a shell of his former self, but I wouldn't be so quick to drag him out behind the woodshed. Let's see how he looks after a lengthy rest and a full pre-season behind him. Having said that, I do agree that we need additional firepower and if the transfer thread is anything to go by, the club is working towards those ends.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

It is quite concerning but I'm not convinced he's finished just yet. I think he's been playing while not fully fit for months in order to 'help' the team. Whether it has helped the team is another matter.

Agreed. He deserves to make the decision whether he's finished or not. Until then he stays in the team. Long live Vardy. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, enmac said:

Agree with just about everything here especially 5 at the back, but how do we accommodate both iheanacho and Vardy as they seem pretty crucial for each other? Possibly play iheanacho as a number 10? Nothing seems obvious to me. 

Kaspe

Castange Fofana Soyuncu Thomas

Praet Ndidi Tielemens 
                 Madders

Vardy Nacho

Gets both the top 2 in. Gets Castange and Madders in there best positions and helps combat midfield battles.

When Justin is fit he comes in for Thomas. And when Barnes back we can have options of swapping to 433 and rotating Vardy/Nacho/A new striker in the number 9 role, Barnes LW and signing a top class RW.

Gives options and our best players in the best positions.

1 hour ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Kaspe

Castange Fofana Soyuncu Thomas

Praet Ndidi Tielemens 
                 Madders

Vardy Nacho

Gets both the top 2 in. Gets Castange and Madders in there best positions and helps combat midfield battles.

When Justin is fit he comes in for Thomas. And when Barnes back we can have options of swapping to 433 and rotating Vardy/Nacho/A new striker in the number 9 role, Barnes LW and signing a top class RW.

Gives options and our best players in the best positions.

Maybe. Not much width though.