Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

He’s gone over the hill now.

He’s quick still, however not dangerously quick. But you’d like to think that his instinctive goal scorers’ touch will return and he’ll have another season where he provides a decent enough goal haul.

For me, he’s probably got a good half a season in the side next year just to occupy defenders based on his reputation (it’ll take a while for others to cotton on that he isn’t what he once was) and to see what he can deliver. We owe him that much.

• Sad 1

He was bang in form first half of the season. Wouldn't write him off as he still looks electric and has the pace, think playing in a two has pushed him further out wide so he's running the channels more. He has to be phased out eventually but he still offers the team a lot more than most. 

I don't blame him because I don't think he should have started. Kell is the in-form player and even for Vards, strikers at his age can't be expected to do it for 90 mins twice a week. 

Brendan has to be better with his game management. And like some have said, maybe the third striker next season will ease the burden and maximise his effectiveness.

Hard to tell where he is, obviously isn't his usual self with first touches and shooting, but at the same time we have a very negative set up and we're missing Barnes who Vardy benefitted a lot from. You can't rely on Tielemans every game to create chances when he is marked out the match.

It is pretty pivotal that we bring another striker in anyway. Vardy cant and shouldnt start every game next season anyway, we need depth even if Vardy starts banging them in like he used to.

• Like 1

This formation doesn't suit him. Hes asked to drop deep to start attacks too often and can't stay on the last defender without a No. 10 behind him.

He's also out of form but this formation isn't doing him any favours, gets no service and can't stretch the game or penetrate as well as in a 4231.

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

Pretty sure he’s still struggling long term with his old hip injury. He’s probably very saw after each game.

All speculation, of course

:ph34r:

Yeah he seems to have at least one moment of limping around per game lately

He shouldn't be starting games. Maybe he's out of form, but he's had more than enough chance to "play his way into form", and it's shocking that he's getting in ahead of Nacho at the moment.

Should be a sub to bring on in the 60th minute against tired legs, think he'd have a bit more success that way.

• Like 2

It shows how bad it has got when I think everyone just accepts he doesn't score goals anymore....While we have to justify his place in the side for other reasons.

2 goals in 25 games is it? 

If we were going one up top tonight I'm not sure how you leave out a striker who has 16 in 18 for the current Vardy. 

I think it was a poor call by BR.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

It shows how bad it has got when I think everyone just accepts he doesn't score goals anymore....While we have to justify his place in the side for other reasons.

2 goals in 25 games is it? 

If we were going one up top tonight I'm not sure how you leave out a striker who has 16 in 18 for the current Vardy. 

I think it was a poor call by BR.

Heart over head decision tbf

• Like 1

I think it’s time to acknowledge the sad reality.

He is so easily marked out the game and just doesn’t really look like he finds space and never puts pressure on the defences and press and make it a nightmare for them.

Hes gone too soft off the ball, most likely due to not having the tank to do it anymore. It’s very sad to watch.

I do think it’s also to do with the fact that for a good 6/7 games now we are playing so scared and defensive that he’s living literally off scraps, but as Nacho does, he is youthful strong and finishes like a top striker...Vardy just doesn’t have the stamina and the tank, energy and probably knows himself and lost confidence in his body as he can’t do what he could do in yesteryear.

Between Spurs Away in Feb 2015 - Man City away in December 2019, he went from a very talented raw talent - a world class elite striker who was in his prime and no one should underestimate how good he was at his pomp because of what we’ve seen over the last year or so.

The 15/16 will get the headlines but what he did when Shakespeare came in 16/17 showed he was quality and not a 1 season wonder.

17/18 he was fabulous in a largely underwhelming team and 18/19 Rodgers got him back and he showed how he can adjust styles and still be equally effective in different systems.

His form in 19/20 was outrageous and at 32 years old having 17 goals by the first 18 games was really sensational culminating in the Man City away game where he scored a raw world class goal and played fantastically.

Unfortunately he broke down vs Liverpool, was off and on for few games in and out and then at 33 years old, went into lockdown with 3 months out and injuries and age waiting for no man, it is kind of inevitable it would eventually happen.

Hes still got a role next season but a more subdued role from the bench and rotation and see how he does. Our greatest ever player and legend for our club. He’s been instrumental in putting us on the map and I’d absolutely love it if Top names the new huge East Stand we’re planning as the Jamie Vardy stand, because make no mistake about it, the word legend is thrown about too much but he IS and always will be a Leicester City legend.

Edited by deanolegend1989
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I think it’s time to acknowledge the sad reality.

He is so easily marked out the game and just doesn’t really look like he finds space and never puts pressure on the defences and press and make it a nightmare for them.

Hes gone too soft off the ball, most likely due to not having the tank to do it anymore. It’s very sad to watch.

I do think it’s also to do with the fact that for a good 6/7 games now we are playing so scared and defensive that he’s living literally off scraps, but as Nacho does, he is youthful strong and finishes like a top striker...Vardy just doesn’t have the stamina and the tank, energy and probably knows himself and lost confidence in his body as he can’t do what he could do in yesteryear.

Between Spurs Away in Feb 2015 - Man City away in December 2019, he went from a very talented raw talent - a world class elite striker who was in his prime and no one should underestimate how good he was at his pomp because of what we’ve seen over the last year or so.

The 15/16 will get the headlines but what he did when Shakespeare came in 16/17 showed he was quality and not a 1 season wonder.

17/18 he was fabulous in a largely underwhelming team and 18/19 Rodgers got him back and he showed how he can adjust styles and still be equally effective in different systems.

His form in 19/20 was outrageous and at 32 years old having 17 goals by the first 18 games was really sensational culminating in the Man City away game where he scored a raw world class goal and played fantastically.

Unfortunately he broke down vs Liverpool, was off and on for few games in and out and then at 33 years old, went into lockdown with 3 months out and injuries and age waiting for no man, it is kind of inevitable it would eventually happen.

Hes still got a role next season but a more subdued role from the bench and rotation and see how he does. Our greatest ever player and legend for our club. He’s been instrumental in putting us on the map and I’d absolutely love it if Top names the new huge East Stand we’re planning as the Jamie Vardy stand, because make no mistake about it, the word legend is thrown about too much but he IS and always will be a Leicester City legend.Di

Disagree. Vardy against  3 CBs with little support from midfield. Hopeless cause. Also needs a rest. Another striker with which he can be rested is definitely progress. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, enmac said:

Disagree. Vardy against  3 CBs with little support from midfield. Hopeless cause. Also needs a rest. Another striker with which he can be rested is definitely progress. 

I did mention in my post that it’s not helping him with Brendans negative tactics and lack of attacking support to him, however Nacho has scored about 15 goals in the same time Vardy has scored 2 so it’s getting to the point which is inevitable that he’s coming to the end. He’s defied history as it is being 34 1/2 and not many strikers in the prem can stop their decline at this age(Aguero is past his best and he’s 1 of the greatest and few years younger).

time catches up on everyone and its time we prepare ourselves unfortunately.

As said though, he’s a legend and our greatest ever and it shouldn’t be forgotten because he might have 1/2 seasons of being a squad player.

Only Vardy knows when his time is truelly up. We can all speculate based on what we see but he is a strong and single minded guy. He will call it when he feels he is more a hinderence than an asset. Just like when he called his England’s career he will call it with us. Let’s see what happens in pre-season.

i hope we see the best of him for just 1 more season. He deserves some champions league heroics to finish his biopic 😉

6 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

He’s gone over the hill now.

He’s quick still, however not dangerously quick. But you’d like to think that his instinctive goal scorers’ touch will return and he’ll have another season where he provides a decent enough goal haul.

For me, he’s probably got a good half a season in the side next year just to occupy defenders based on his reputation (it’ll take a while for others to cotton on that he isn’t what he once was) and to see what he can deliver. We owe him that much.

This is why he needs to be an impact sub player next season, knowing he can come on for 30 minutes causing havoc.

6 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Hard to tell where he is, obviously isn't his usual self with first touches and shooting, but at the same time we have a very negative set up and we're missing Barnes who Vardy benefitted a lot from. You can't rely on Tielemans every game to create chances when he is marked out the match.

It is pretty pivotal that we bring another striker in anyway. Vardy cant and shouldnt start every game next season anyway, we need depth even if Vardy starts banging them in like he used to.

I think a lot of people are failing to realise how pivotal Barnes was to Vardy’s goals. It’s no coincidence for me his goals have dried up since Barnes has been injured. 

• Like 1