Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersApples

PFA team of the year - Alternate version (outside the top 6 only)

Rui Patricio

Pereira - Boly - Ake - Digne

Ndidi

Felipe Anderson - Sigurdsson - Fraser

Vardy - Jimenez

Notable mentions/tough to not include:

Brooks
Gueye
Doherty
Chilwell
Moutinho
Jota
Wan-Bissaka

Wilson
Fabianski
Rondon

This is actually pretty tough, there are lots of good players in the mid table teams and a few decent ones lower down. Obviously Wolves are the best team ever to be promoted, Pererya, Delofeu, Deeney from Watford. Ricardo, Chilwell, Tielemans, Maddison, Vardy. Fraser Brooks and Wilson from Bournemouth Anderson from West Ham Richarlison and Sigurdsson of Everton. Zaha, Milivojevic and Wan-Bissakka of Palace.

What a good idea for a thread.  

Trickier than you think.    I've tried to be unbiased but I've still got four City players and Tielemans would make it if he had had a full season.

Anyway, my attempt:            

Pickford

Ricardo      Dunk       Maguire      Chillwell

Rice

Zaha        Neves    Doucoure     Andersen

Vardy      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, murphy said:

What a good idea for a thread.  

Trickier than you think.    I've tried to be unbiased but I've still got four City players and Tielemans would make it if he had had a full season.

Anyway, my attempt:            

Pickford

Ricardo      Dunk       Maguire      Chillwell

Rice

Zaha        Neves    Doucoure     Andersen

Vardy      

Pickford has had a  dreadful season and Maguire has been very hit and miss. Seems as though you have picked the players who you think are the best in their positions rather than the players which have been the best this season. 

Edit: sorry if it sounded like i was being a tit, i was just having an opinion on your opinion ?

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Pickford has had a  dreadful season and Maguire has been very hit and miss. Seems as though you have picked the players who you think are the best in their positions rather than the players which have been the best this season. 

Maybe.  I haven't seen all the other clubs games.  Pickford is England's keeper.  I wouldn't say he has been dreadful from what I have seen but can you name a better keeper from the 13 clubs outside the top six?  Even if picked on reputation if his form has dropped, Pickford has to be one of the best.

As for Maguire, he is someone I have seen a lot of and I don't care what a lot of people on this forum think of him, I always defend him.  Sometimes he looks like our best attacking threat and our most skillful dribbler.  Defenders can't knock his massive bulk off the ball.  He has made some mistakes and he is slow but as far as I'm concerned he is class.  He is the cats whiskers, the bees knees and the dogs bollocks.  No one I would swap him for outside of the top six.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, murphy said:

Maybe.  I haven't seen all the other clubs games.  Pickford is England's keeper.  I wouldn't say he has been dreadful from what I have seen but can you name a better keeper from the 13 clubs outside the top six?  Even if picked on reputation if his form has dropped, Pickford has to be one of the best.

As for Maguire, he is someone I have seen a lot of and I don't care what a lot of people on this forum think of him, I always defend him.  Sometimes he looks like our best attacking threat and our most skillful dribbler.  Defenders can't knock his massive bulk off the ball.  He has made some mistakes and he is slow but as far as I'm concerned he is class.  He is the cats whiskers, the bees knees and the dogs bollocks.  No one I would swap him for outside of the top six.

I would definitely sooner have Kasper than Pickford. He did a fantastic job in the world cup, but personally I am hoping another English keeper emerges before the next one. 

Would agree that on his day Maguire is right up there, he's just not consistently performed at that level unfortunately... can't help thinking a lot of that was down to niggly injuries though. His performance against Liverpool really sticks out for me though as the defensive show of the season for us. 

24 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Etheridge, Ricardo, Digne, Keane, Boly, Milivojevic, Doucoure, Anderson, Fraser, Vardy, Wilson. 

They've all stood out for me but there a quite a few others in contention like Foster, Chilwell and Wan Bisaka. 

That's a decent shout. Mine would be something similar:

Etheridge

Ricky P                 Boly               Rice                          Doherty

Milivojevic                  Tielemans / Neves               Anderson

Richarlison                Vardy                         Fraser

Slightly dodgy formation with Rice at CB but I've just gone with players I think are decent - no idea of the stats tbh. If Tielemens doesn't count then I'd go with Neves.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't disagree that they are both top players im just saying neither have been at their best this season. As regards this season, Etheridge, Foster, Dubravka and a fair few more have been better than Pickford. 

For me, quite a few players from the England wc team have been below par this season, Pickford, Maguire, Trippier, Alli. Yet Sterling has had the season of his life. 

Was thinking about this earlier. Trying to do it without Leicester goggles on is tricky also but I would say:

Foster

Ricardo         Boly      Ake      Wan-Bisakka

Zaha      Maddison       Moutinho     Fraser

Vardy         Jiminez

honourable mentions to Chilwell, Wilson, Deulofeu, Jota, Doherty and Milivojevic 

Edited by DerbyshireFox

Firstly. Esperito Santo to manage this team:

Foster

Pereira

Ake

Maguire

Wan-Bissaka

Neves

Sigurdsson 

Maddison

Rice

Zaha

Jimenez (or Vardy)

Centre backs are hard to pick.Maguire not at his best consistently, but still better than others. Midfield is difficult, but only because a lot of good midfield players this season. (i am surprised Rice is not in many of above lists as he is best midfielder outside top 6 in my opinion)Jimenez has been more consistent than Vardy, but Vardy on recent form is better I would certainly have Fraser and Brooks on subs bench. Doucore has also been consistently good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

Firstly. Esperito Santo to manage this team:

Foster

Pereira

Ake

Maguire

Wan-Bissaka

Neves

Sigurdsson 

Maddison

Rice

Zaha

Jimenez (or Vardy)

Centre backs are hard to pick.Maguire not at his best consistently, but still better than others. Midfield is difficult, but only because a lot of good midfield players this season. (i am surprised Rice is not in many of above lists as he is best midfielder outside top 6 in my opinion)Jimenez has been more consistent than Vardy, but Vardy on recent form is better I would certainly have Fraser and Brooks on subs bench. Doucore has also been consistently good.

There is absolutely no "or Vardy". Id say there is competition for every single spot and everyone will have different opinions, but Vardy is, and has been for the last 4 seasons, the best striker outside the top 6 (and even better than most of the top 6). I like Jimenez but Vardy has been better and the stats show that with him being the highest scorer outside the top 6. 

Edit: except the 16-17 season. There were a few better than him that season. 

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone not picking Vardy is mad. Hes the highest scorer outside the top 6 again. Jimenez and Wilson have both scored 12 and Vardy has 16. Absolutely no competition! I like Jimenez and think he'll be even better next season but hes not as good as JV right now. 

• Like 2