Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

8 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Agreed. Even if we don't make top four, it's been a bloody enjoyable season overall.

If you can't enjoy a season which has produced some of the best quality football in our history and some incredible results, then you're probably the kind of person who struggles to find happiness in many things.

Has it been enjoyable to see us getting into commanding position and disintegrate? Like I get this is a very successful season and we shouldn't forget weve only been in this league for 6 seasons now and have accomplished much more than anyone can imagine, but memorable isnt what I'd call it. In terms of results, the 9-0 is obviously the peak but this is a traditionally strange season in terms of performance against the top top sides, seems we always pulled out a result against them and have looked timid the majority time this season. I get looking at the positive and its important to and you could easily say if we dont make champions league and we flipped the form table round and we finished how we started wed be buzzing a lot more about it, but it's hard not to look past the negative if we blow this with such a massive opportunity to get back into the champions league, which I hold my hands up I didnt think would happen or at least not this quickly since the title win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Chelsea losing like that is what we in the business call "a huge dub". Now we just have to win our last 4 games...

Well, we aren’t going to do that and if we did, what Chelsea did yesterday wouldn’t matter anyway.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Has it been enjoyable to see us getting into commanding position and disintegrate? Like I get this is a very successful season and we shouldn't forget weve only been in this league for 6 seasons now and have accomplished much more than anyone can imagine, but memorable isnt what I'd call it. In terms of results, the 9-0 is obviously the peak but this is a traditionally strange season in terms of performance against the top top sides, seems we always pulled out a result against them and have looked timid the majority time this season. I get looking at the positive and its important to and you could easily say if we dont make champions league and we flipped the form table round and we finished how we started wed be buzzing a lot more about it, but it's hard not to look past the negative if we blow this with such a massive opportunity to get back into the champions league, which I hold my hands up I didnt think would happen or at least not this quickly since the title win.

As I've said on here a few times, if we fall away and don't make top four it'll be hugely disappointing given where we were at one point.

However, it's a constant learning curve - like life in general.

We've made massive progress from when Rodgers arrived notwithstanding the obvious frustrations since just before Christmas.

I know our fans don't really care what any other fans think but I think we have to a be a little careful of appearing entitled like some of the other clubs we often mock.

Third place is in our hands but I won't overly lose my shiit if we don't end up there.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As I've said on here a few times, if we fall away and don't make top four it'll be hugely disappointing given where we were at one point.

However, it's a constant learning curve - like life in general.

We've made massive progress from when Rodgers arrived notwithstanding the obvious frustrations since just before Christmas.

I know our fans don't really care what any other fans think but I think we have to a be a little careful of appearing entitled like some of the other clubs we often mock.

Third place is in our hands but I won't overly lose my shiit if we don't end up there.

Entitled is the wrong word though,nobody went into this season thinking we had a god given right to play in the champions league and would probably have been ecstatic at europa league, it's simply adjusting our expectations based on the results we put out and the hard work we put in, bottom line we were 14 points clear it just isnt acceptable to lose such a massive margin and bottle it, the amount of shit we all have given spurs over the years in terms of bottling but nothing theyve done would match this collapse 

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

the amount of shit we all have given spurs over the years in terms of bottling but nothing theyve done would match this collapse 

I would say being in a title race and then finishing 11 points behind the champions and being third in a two horse race is worse but each to their own.

• Like 1

Congratulations chaps, you CAN  both be right. Now go to bed! 😂

It wouldn't be "acceptable", but I would still accept it. 

As a side note, Top has form with being extremely ruthless in similar circumstances, sacking leuven manager before play off 2nd leg, due to downturn in results. Hope he keeps perspective (or pulls another world ie out of the bag) 

9 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

As a side note, Top has form with being extremely ruthless in similar circumstances, sacking leuven manager before play off 2nd leg, due to downturn in results. Hope he keeps perspective (or pulls another world ie out of the bag) 

I think finishing fifth or even sixth would not even be close to a sacking offence.

That would really smack of entitlement.

We're a young team by and large and there'll be peaks and troughs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

just an fyi :)

1962–63 season
Chairman England W.S.G. Needham
Manager Scotland Matt Gillies
First Division 4th
FA Cup Runners-up

I’m aware, have a look at my points per season in the Stats thread, it adjusts for 3 points per season and a 38 game season. Total points this is the second best, when adjusted the 62-63 season we would have finished on 65, so two more winds and a draw to beat it.

The other season is the 28/29 season 63 points when adjusted - but we also finished 2nd. 
Either way it’s up there with the best in our history.

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I do think there's a big psychological difference between say, making the Europa League with a late season surge rather than dropping out of it late on from a very commanding position which is a possibility for us. I feel like this will be a real mental blow for us and it doesn't fill me with much hope for next season - especially given how demanding the Europa League can be.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

He's not going to shag you mate.

How terribly clever and...

tenor.gif.599b126081cd40511a82b6288199da6d.gif 

...ORIGINAL!

What a shining wit you are (as the Rev. Spooner woud say it).

Edited by murphy
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Yeah but Norwich are a literal pub side, its unacceptable 

5 hours ago, nwl fox said:

Sometimes I wonder whether people even understand what the word 'literal' means

I think it was just a typo.

They do play in yellow.   Maybe he meant 'liberal'?

12 hours ago, Tuna said:

Chelsea have Norwich at home next up, IE an easy 3 points.

We MUST beat Bournemouth tomorrow and I think we must beat Sheff Utd as well, certainly need to avoid defeat.

I think we can get something at Spurs as well if we are up for it. It's about time we got something away at a top 6 side (I'm aware we drew 1-1 at Arsenal).

Great opportunity for us, it is in our own hands and we have to take it.

Spurs and Arsenal are not top 6 sides. :whistle:

Against top 6 sides away from home we have picked up a point at Chelsea and 3 points with a win at Sheff Utd.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Chelsea and Man Utd have 1 point between them at Bournemouth! United lost 1-0 and Chelsea needed a late equaliser in a 2-2 draw.

People on here seem to have a weird obsession with results this season. Bringing up our 1 point v Norwich - yes we had two poor performances against Norwich but We seem to forget the other teams around us also have poor records against the bottom 6 sides this season. 
Neither Chelsea nor United have taken a single point from West Ham this season, we’ve taken 6 and scored 6. 
The away game with a reserve side playing.

It's irrelevant what Man Utd and Chelsea did at Bournemouth, if they were playing them today a point from this fixture would be considered a bad result.

We probably need at least two wins out of the last four games to get top four. The betting markets has this down as our best opportunity to get a win out of the four remaining games. Win, lose or draw tonight and nothing is decided still but this is our best opportunity for us to throw down a marker. 

One thing is for sure Lampard and Solskjaer would be very happy to see us come away with a solitary point tonight which tells you if they're happy for us to get a point then we shouldn't be.

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

It's irrelevant what Man Utd and Chelsea did at Bournemouth, if they were playing them today a point from this fixture would be considered a bad result.

We probably need at least two wins out of the last four games to get top four. The betting markets has this down as our best opportunity to get a win out of the four remaining games. Win, lose or draw tonight and nothing is decided still but this is our best opportunity for us to throw down a marker. 

One thing is for sure Lampard and Solskjaer would be very happy to see us come away with a solitary point tonight which tells you if they're happy for us to get a point then we shouldn't be.

I think the point he's making is that we're not the only team that has had iffy results at low ranked teams. I don't think many people are disputing that 3 points tonight is essential.

29 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think the point he's making is that we're not the only team that has had iffy results at low ranked teams. I don't think many people are disputing that 3 points tonight is essential.

We won’t know that until the end of the season .....we didn’t know five years ago that the three points at Sunderland actually won us the title ......

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Yes I think this must be correct by definition. How else could we be sitting 4th or even 3rd in the table at this stage if other teams had not dropped points against 'lesser' sides?

Edited by Blue Fox 72

49 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We won’t know that until the end of the season .....we didn’t know five years ago that the three points at Sunderland actually won us the title ......

Of course, none of us knows anything until it's all over. But as it goes, for me this one needs to be won, for psychological reasons as much as anything else.

13 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

With Wolves still in the Europa at the end of the season, anybody think they might try and save against injuries against Chelsea if they have a Euro spot confirmed by then? 

Yes, ideally we need them to be needing at least a point on the last game of the season.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1