Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 games stick in my mind, if we'd have got even draws against Southampton, Burnley and Norwich, we'd be out of sight, an even tho we were poor in those games, we should have picked at least 3 points from those fixtures, 

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Definitely feel the frustration!

Also though it seems really galling to blow a 15 point lead to Man U, the financial power they have to buy a world class player like Bruno Fernandes shouldn't be underestimated. In recent games we've been without Ricardo, Maddison and Chilwell and that is a lot of our creativity in the team lost with the way that we play. To be where we are with the squad we have is truly a great achievement.

I’d of definitely took it at the start of the season and I think 5th in a few years will be looked at as a good season , but it will always be tinged with regret.

We really did have it locked and it should of been secured by now.

Whilst I agree we were punching with our squad(2nd and title talk), like I said we wouldn’t of even had to perform at 12th place form over 1/2 a season to be secured now so there’s no getting away that it’ll be a wasted chance.

Man Utd have closed us, but fair play they have had superb form. If we had been 4th and lost it to a team that’s ramming it then fair play, hands up, however Chelsea have been average all season and not put much pressure on us at all. It’s not as if we have had to keep off relentless pressure from them, any kind of form would of had them 8-10 points clear of us now.

Over the season we have proven we’re a better squad and team than Chelsea, they have shown there average level consistently as we have shown higher levels but higher drops. We’re better but we have underperformed to our squad ability to give an average team the lead vs us.

If we don’t get top 4 it’ll be a huge missed chance and not because ‘we didn’t have the squad’. Chelsea don’t have ‘the squad’ but would get it because they didn’t bottle it and they stayed consistent to the level there capable of, as we dropped off massively.

5 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

3 games stick in my mind, if we'd have got even draws against Southampton, Burnley and Norwich, we'd be out of sight, an even tho we were poor in those games, we should have picked at least 3 points from those fixtures, 

Norwich away and Burnley away are the huge 2. Should have at least 4 from those!!

Watford away a careless 2 points thrown. Brighton at home, 2 DMs . Didn’t want the extra 2 points there. Man City at home, 1 point was there, carless goal given away with 10 to play.

even if we had 4 more points we’d be 3 clear!

A win at Bournemouth could be securing CL effectively! That’s why I don’t buy the argument that we’re punching with our squad. We are good enough for top 4 by a mile.

We we’re punching being above Man City but we’re better than Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves and Chelsea imo and it will be a gift to give away the spot that we are more than capable of securing but won’t deserve if we can’t even finish above probably the worst Chelsea team I’ve ever seen since Roman came into the club. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

just pointing out that avoiding defeat is extremely important ........ football managers are very pragmatic ......

Agreed. Also, until fairly recent, Bournemouth seemed to have a psychological hold over us. To the extent that teams with less talented players than us would beat them only for us to draw or lose most times we played them.

They'll try to frustrate us in the hope the old "Bournemouth Bogey Team" demons resurface, with a view to counter attacking.

A point wouldn't be the end of the world all things considered.

13 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

We weren't poor at Burnley. Played them off the pitch but missed a shed load of chances and conceded 2 soft goals. We were awful v Southampton and Norwich, as well as Brighton at home.

49 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

That brief 5min discussion on Man City between Souness and Richards was interesting to listen to. Why Sky persist with other pundits who can barely produce a coherent sentence is beyond me.

Cole Ashley can’t even get the players ‘ names right 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

Agreed. Also, until fairly recent, Bournemouth seemed to have a psychological hold over us. To the extent that teams with less talented players than us would beat them only for us to draw or lose most times we played them.

They'll try to frustrate us in the hope the old "Bournemouth Bogey Team" demons resurface, with a view to counter attacking.

A point wouldn't be the end of the world all things considered.

That was my original point although it will be on here !  Of course I want to win but if we have nearly half a team out then let’s make sure we don’t lose  - we could nick a late goal and hang on for once ! 

25 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Definitely feel the frustration!

Also though it seems really galling to blow a 15 point lead to Man U, the financial power they have to buy a world class player like Bruno Fernandes shouldn't be underestimated. In recent games we've been without Ricardo, Maddison and Chilwell and that is a lot of our creativity in the team lost with the way that we play. To be where we are with the squad we have is truly a great achievement.

Yeh missing some of outbreaks best players vs manure having a full strength squad is int even close to being fair. That’s why foxes must summon the spirit of 15/16 and by hook or crook get over the line. Doesn’t have to Ben pretty footy even scrappy goals will do. What needed is some guts and stamina like Sheffield showed today. Have to put Bournemouth to the sword and finish them off by half time. Then think (not worry) about the next game. COYF!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Norwich on Tuesday is not a foregone conclusion for Chelsea now they are relegated - it is a weight off shoulders for them and you'll likely see some young players with a point to prove etc.

It would be remarkable to see them take only 1 point from 9 for example but it's not that ridiculous either given the way they've played against West Ham, limped over the line against Palace and now out there today.

Norwich look to have given up completely- Chelsea will be fired up, can't see anything other than a comfortable win for Chelsea. Their last two, however, look daunting so if we can get in front of them in the next two (tough I know) we'd be in a great position. Our goal difference helps our cause against Chelsea too.

Not all about Chelsea, United could very easily slip up, can’t think of two clubs who would want to beat them more, Palace (Kung fu) Hammers ( Tevez, drew last game of the season, cost United title)....Southampton and ourselves ain’t easy either.....just need 3 points tomorrow.....

I know Man City are better than us but its infuriating to watch them sweep aside bottom half fodder with such ease. I wish we were flat track bullies. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

just pointing out that avoiding defeat is extremely important ........ football managers are very pragmatic ......

I agree avoiding defeat should always be viewed as important, but we desperately need 3 points.

44 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

We weren't poor at Burnley. Played them off the pitch but missed a shed load of chances and conceded 2 soft goals. We were awful v Southampton and Norwich, as well as Brighton at home.

Finishing chances is such an important part of the game, defending equally important, I expect we will play Burnley off the park every time we play them, but without those two key elements, you produce a performance akin to what Brighton have most of the season, pretty football but struggling. 

Edited by Beachyboy

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

That brief 5min discussion on Man City between Souness and Richards was interesting to listen to. Why Sky persist with other pundits who can barely produce a coherent sentence is beyond me.

BBC 5live have Clinton Morrison. It's literally unbearable.

• Like 1

If we are trying to copy the Man City model, you've got to appreciate the way all their players move constantly. They keep possession well but so many players offer different options. We look as though we keep possession well on the whole but there is very little movement and so our attacks become quite predictable. 

• Like 2