Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Just trying to get my head around this season. From where we were, it feels like we've bottled the Champions League. It was in our grasp and we let it slip away.

But on the flip side, if we finish 5th after 38 games, that's where we deserve to be. And, I think, just possibly, it may help us to grow as a club more organically.

Champions League would've been incredible and may have even been a fast-track to the big time. But, as brilliant as it would've been, much like the title win,  it may have been a bit of a shortcut to the big time. Would we really have been able to attract the kind of players needed and bulk the squad out enough to both succeed in the Champions League AND attempt to finish in the top 4 again?

Juggling the Europa League and Premier League will be difficult. But we're building a reputation as a very good Premier League side. If we can now do well in the Europa League and the Premier League, our reputation will increase year on year, and we can become an almost permanent fixture in European competition.

If we can cultivate the kind of reputation Sevilla had, for example, that would represent tremendous progress to me, and it may result in a few more Champions League campaigns along the way.

Then, maybe, just maybe, we can become a regular top 4 side and consistently challenge for titles. 

Patience. We're on the way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

One thing I unashamedly LOVE is just how far United have declined - 'Biggest team in the world' and their fans are buzzing to have beaten little old Leicester to a top 4 finish.

It would be criminal if they didn't finish top 4 given how much they spunk on players.

I'm the same and thats why Frank has done a better job at Chelsea then Ole has done as Man U.

Give that squad/funds to someone likes Moyes, Howe or Dyche and they would finish top 4 too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I'm the same and thats why Frank has done a better job at Chelsea then Ole has done as Man U.

Give that squad/funds to someone likes Moyes, Howe or Dyche and they would finish top 4 too.

Also on that note, Sarri got more points than Lampard and won the Europa League. Granted Lampard may still win a trophy but it’s hardly like he’s turned Burnley into an epic side. They still managed to make Kovacic permanent and sign Pulisic for a stupid amount of money.

Edited by Fox in the North
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

LMA Manager of the Year this eve - who gets it? Probably still Wilder for me.

It’ll inevitably be Klopp. Wilder deserves it as well, but I think he’ll get honourable mention. First title in 30 years by 18points and being virtually relentless for two seasons

9 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

They would be my selections also.

I'm not sure about Lampard really, he's done well but was always going to be given a comfortable ride due to his connections at Chelsea and the fact he's an English manager. There's no way Sarri would've been in contention had he done a similar job.

After Klopp and Wilder, I think Hassenhuttl has done superbly, not just in turning around this season from the 9-0 but their last couple of seasons when they managed 36-37 points. He achieved 52 this year.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'm not sure about Lampard really, he's done well but was always going to be given a comfortable ride due to his connections at Chelsea and the fact he's an English manager. There's no way Sarri would've been in contention had he done a similar job.

After Klopp and Wilder, I think Hassenhuttl has done superbly, not just in turning around this season from the 9-0 but their last couple of seasons when they managed 36-37 points. He achieved 52 this year.

Yeah it seems that humiliation has actually turned their season around, who've thought?

I can just see Tottenham going in for Ralph Hasenhuttl next summer, Spurs surly won't want Jose Mourinho for the 21/22 season. I wanted Hasenhuttl when before we got rid of Puel and Southampton got him, always rated him as a manager when he did wonders at RB Leipzig. And now he as shown that at Southampton where he doesn't need to spend a fortune to build a agood hardworking team. He seems to be loved at every club because he is like Pearson, a genuine and honest bloke

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I wish we had got 13 points as we'd have got top 4, we got 9 points. Horrific.

Even worse, after beating Newcastle on New Year's Day, we won 4, drew 5, and lost 8. 17 points from 17 games!!:jawdrop:

Even a pretty dire 21 points from the last 17 games (equating to 47 points across 38 games, equivalent to a 13th place in the table this season) would have secured us CL football. What an opportunity missed.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Sad 1

I always think manager of the year should be judged against what you were predicted to achieve and improvements made from seasons before. For me it would be Wilder by a long way with Klopp, Rodgers and Bruce also getting a mention.

Edited by peach0000
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Alright Brendan lol

Looking at the entire season together a fifth place finish only four points of fourth for a club like Leicester is an outstanding job. Considering where we were the last couple of seasons it's a huge step up and we are whether you like it or not one of the teams in the league that properly overachieved. Therefore I believe Rodgers should still be in the running although wilder is miles clear at the top in my opinion. 

Truest statement on Crystal Palace. They are the most dull uninspiring club in the PL. They just seem happy to plod along. Aging squad and a bunch of overpaid players that they  cant get rid of.