Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

14 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I can never get my head around people who take the piss out of foreign managers/players speaking English (Puel when he was here for example) when they won't be able to put two words together in another language themselves.

Fair play to Emerey, Puel, Pochettino or anybody that comes over here and attempts to speak English.

Absolutely agree with this - and I speak as someone who lived for a while (long ago) in France. Took a while, but eventually got fluent enough to get by. Two points though -

First, the French are not known for their sympathy for foreigners struggling in their language. Lost count of the number of times I was told I spoke French 'like a Spanish cow' (comme une vache espagnole).

Second, the problem with Puel wasn't really his English - though God knows, it never seemed to improve - but more the mindset. Believe me, he is every bit as uninspiring in his mother tongue.

Language reflects the personality of the user, I think that was Claude's problem...

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Hammo said:

What?! These managers get paid ridiculous amounts of money. Part of the job spec is the ability to communicate effectively with players and the media in the country where they are working. If they want a top job in the Premier League they should spend some of their small fortunes on taking English lessons - and furthermore improving their English continuously while they are here - so that they can speak sufficiently well to AVOID people taking the piss out of them.

I don’t buy into your theory one little bit.

And just for the record, yeah, I have a degree in French and German and have worked in those countries. If I couldn’t make myself properly understood, it embarrassed me and I vowed to improve my vocabulary and fluency. It’s not that difficult if you set your mind to it and make a real effort. Puel, Emery and the like get no sympathy from me.

Cant agree more....Spot on!!!

Some People put in extra Shifts to at Work and learn the languages of their chosen countries....Look at majority of our own immigrants.

Look at People through Europe...New generations of Brits....And not One earning Anywhere near the Money of the football fraternity....

In fact look at other Foreign sportsman and women..speaking English Plus 2-3 other languages...Tennis stars,F1 Drivers und quite a few Profi footy players...

In the forementioned types,...after putting in many Working hours or Secondary Study hours....

7 hours ago, surrifox said:

Annoying coming from a country whose language is like Yoda spoken 

They thought it was funny, because it is. Especially when they think of the word as simple. Just like everyone seems to find it hilarious all of a sudden that Emery can't quite get 'evening'. But it is abit funny at first. 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
5 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Absolutely agree with this - and I speak as someone who lived for a while (long ago) in France. Took a while, but eventually got fluent enough to get by. Two points though -

First, the French are not known for their sympathy for foreigners struggling in their language. Lost count of the number of times I was told I spoke French 'like a Spanish cow' (comme une vache espagnole).

Second, the problem with Puel wasn't really his English - though God knows, it never seemed to improve - but more the mindset. Believe me, he is every bit as uninspiring in his mother tongue.

Language reflects the personality of the user, I think that was Claude's problem...

Ruud Gullit speaks five languages so it can be done. Brendan apparently can get by quite well in Spanish .Having said that the main reason so few English players leave for foreign clubs is they can't be bothered to make the effort to learn the language.

19 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Ruud Gullit speaks five languages so it can be done. Brendan apparently can get by quite well in Spanish .Having said that the main reason so few English players leave for foreign clubs is they can't be bothered to make the effort to learn the language.

Is that the main reason though? :dunno: or is it that they can get more money playing here, and in a league they're conditioned to believe is the best thing that ever happend to football? 

• Like 2

I'm amazed that nigh on 4/5 years in Spain, Bale can barely speak a word. Michael Owen couldn't either. Ian Rush.  

Platt, Keegan, Ince and to a lesser extent Beckham all managed though. 

Tony Woodcock took it a bit far , basically went feral and turned German

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Chris Sutton on Radio 5 just now saying that Rodgers would go to Everton as they are a bigger club. When he was challenged about it, he said, "well, he left Celtic mid-season." What a numpty.

He can’t let it go, can he? Tosser.

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm amazed that nigh on 4/5 years in Spain, Bale can barely speak a word. Michael Owen couldn't either. Ian Rush.  

Guess is depends on the individual and how they want to integrate with the local culture, etc. For a footballer, they'd barely deal with any life admin (as an example) so there is litle motivation to use it as a tool to 'get by'.

Read somewhere that Woodgate's Spanish was decent and John Collins learnt French in a short space of time.

Not exclusive to english speaking players though, Aguero's English isnt brilliant and Tevez's was minimal.

Finally, lets be honest, us native English speakers are lazy when it comes to learning other languages. 

25 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Chris Sutton on Radio 5 just now saying that Rodgers would go to Everton as they are a bigger club. When he was challenged about it, he said, "well, he left Celtic mid-season." What a numpty.

He's completely lost his mind hasn't he? Feel a bit sorry for him. 

13 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Lineker immersed himself in the Spanish/Catalan culture as well as learning the language. It makes such a difference. Conversely, I remember around the same time Ian Rush saying he couldn’t get on at Juventus because there were no card schools or a snooker table.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Guess is depends on the individual and how they want to integrate with the local culture, etc. For a footballer, they'd barely deal with any life admin (as an example) so there is litle motivation to use it as a tool to 'get by'.

Read somewhere that Woodgate's Spanish was decent and John Collins learnt French in a short space of time.

Not exclusive to english speaking players though, Aguero's English isnt brilliant and Tevez's was minimal.

Finally, lets be honest, us native English speakers are lazy when it comes to learning other languages. 

I remember Zagorakis couldn't speak English and spent his spare time in Oadby chippy talking Greek to the owner.

But, tbh, players don't need to.learn the whole.language. Some basic structure of past and present tense and then there's prob only 200 football words and cliché; 'we were unlucky' 'we go again' 'great set of lads'

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

Just watching the Villa - Newcastle game.

Question: is Miguel Almiron the worst striker in the league?

Must be close. Have seen him a few times now and he's been dire on each occasion. 

He was highly rated when he joined.

He plays on the wing / attacking midfielder rather than up front, hasnt been as good as I thought he would be but he's definitely not the worst in the league in my view. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

Must be close. Have seen him a few times now and he's been dire on each occasion. 

He’s not very good but he’s not the worst, not far off looking at his form though! 

Also that bloke with the headband for Newcastle is absolutely rapid. He should have gone on his own there rather than laying it off. 

10 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

He's genuinely terrible. 

My geordie mate loves him as well, go figure. 

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

He was highly rated when he joined.

He plays on the wing / attacking midfielder rather than up front, hasnt been as good as I thought he would be but he's definitely not the worst in the league in my view. 

Yeah, I thought he was a midfielder/winger when they bought him. And in the pre-game graphs he is on the right. 

But he seems to play as a striker once the game gets going. He is always the furthest up the field, either losing the ball, shooting it out of the stadium or falling over his own feet when someone serves him up with a sitter.

Back to the language debate. Nobody would give two shits whether someone could or couldn't speak the language as long as they were doing their job well. Ranieri has managed in England on and off for nearly 20 years and I still can't understand a single sentence that comes out of his mouth. Nobody cared when we were winning the league though. The only way Emery will stop being a figure of ridicule is if he can get Arsenal winning again. Simple as that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

He looks like he belongs in a cartoon strip - Billy’s Boots.....or, for those of a certain age, Limp Along Leslie or The Brampton Keys.

• Haha 1