Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

On playing style though, inevitably you’re not going to win all of your games. Especially when you’ve got a squad that isn’t suited to your playing style and rebuilding is required. If your results are mixed but you’re playing entertaining football it’s easier to stomach. 

Personally, I think NES would do a better job than Emery but they’d be battling for 4th at best under him. Kroenke isn’t that committed and the hierarchy in general is pretty shoddy - whilst those issues persist nothing is going change significantly at Arsenal. 10 years ago a manager could make or break a club, nowadays there’s more people in play. To succeed in modern football you need a decent manager, a talented squad and consistently effective recruitment (and at least a threshold level of commitment from an owner). You can get by with 2 out of 3 of those but to succeed in the long term you need all three. That’s why we’re up there challenging again and Wolves will most likely finish in top 7 in both their Prem seasons.

Arsenal and Man Utd probably don’t have another of those. Spurs have failed on the recruitment front which has led to them not capitalising on their best position for about 40 years. Chelsea seem to cycle through having good/bad managers/players/recruitment every few seasons but eventually level out again.

Everton and West Ham never get more than 1 out 3 at one time. Newcastle had a great manager, shit recruitment for a shit squad.

I’d say Brighton’s future is more positive than most, they’ve got a talented manager and a committed owner, recruitment is hit and miss whilst their squad is interesting.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

If Aguero is missing Man. City lose a lot of their threat , whether he scores or doesn't he scares defences. They could lose quite a few points while he is injured.

Yeah, they only have Marhez, Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva, and Jesus left to score goals!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Did I just read Newcastle have a great manager? When did they sack Bruce and reappoint Rafa?

It was a typo. Obviously nobody in their right mind thinks Bruce is a great manager.

The league is toss this year, there's a lot of coverage about Sheff United (understandably) and Wolves being good but they've both won 4 league games in 14, aside from the top 4 it's really open.

• Like 1

Why is everyone assuming the style of football Nuno is using with Wolves is what he'd use at Aresenal?  Good coaches adapt, Nuno is a good coach, and he's never had the caliber of budget and (eventually) players he'd have at Arsenal.

• Like 2

Wolves have only been in the premier league for a little over a season. They are overhyped and doing little more than what teams like Swansea and Southampton managed before them. Anyone who doesn't think Nuno would jump ship for arsenal in a heartbeat is slightly naive in my opinion, it would have been like poch turning down Spurs or Brendan turning down Liverpool.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

No, but if he was at Arsenal, and playing counter-attacking footy, it isn't a given the fans would get restless, and certainly doesn't equate to being "dominated" because they play on the break.

Tbf here, how many times did thick fans of "big" clubs come away from games against us in 15/16 claiming to have "dominated" the game and been the better side because they had more possession? 

It is how a lot of idiots view the game. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

If you back yourself as a manager then moving to Arsenal makes perfect sense for Nuno (or Brendan for that matter, maybe Champs League would alter that for a season). As good as Wolves (and Leicester) might be, Arsenal still have a much bigger potential to tap into and a good manager has to fancy themselves to be the one to unleash it, ala Klopp with Liverpool. 

This is certainly the common rhetoric amongst fans of most clubs and pundits alike.

Perhaps with the current obsession with stats, we need a new xS for managers to best just their next managerial position? An Expected Success based on how often, historically a give club may achieve what it consitutes as success from its current position and that of its rivals :ph34r:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I do wonder if Bruce and Klopp's attacks on Hamza is one of the reason's he isn't getting game time. They are making him a marked man for the refs.

I suspect the same - maybe Brendan is allowing memories to fade before re-introducing him. Hard to know, though, because there's no way he'd go above Ndidi as a starter for  DM; and Ndidi lasts the whole game, so his only chance is as a sub, and in that regard there's no way he would come on ahead of Praet.

Guest An Sionnach
11 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Yeah, they only have Marhez, Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva, and Jesus left to score goals!

Aguero is on a different planet , without him they would not have won as much as they have done. When he finally packs it in their glory days will be over.

59 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I do wonder if Bruce and Klopp's attacks on Hamza is one of the reason's he isn't getting game time. They are making him a marked man for the refs.

He started against Burton in the cup.

We've won 5 in a row in the league since Liverpool and only conceded 1 goal so he hasn't been needed :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

We've won 5 in a row in the league since Liverpool and only conceded 1 goal so he hasn't been needed :ph34r:

I thought it was one of his worse performances for us as well, a game very much like that Newport tie but we obviously won this one. From about 30-70 mins though we really struggled and Choudhury seemed to be bogged down with it. There's loads of games coming up though where I think he will be needed, those 4 games around Christmas will be when he revels once again.

3 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Yes. But he hasn't even made the squad a few times -- and Brendan started putting Morgan on as defensive reinforcements to close out close games...At the same time, I wouldn't surprised to see Hamza start in the Watford game, at Everton (League Cup), and at West Ham (along with Gray and Praet). It's going to be a long December.

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I thought it was one of his worse performances for us as well, a game very much like that Newport tie but we obviously won this one. From about 30-70 mins though we really struggled and Choudhury seemed to be bogged down with it. There's loads of games coming up though where I think he will be needed, those 4 games around Christmas will be when he revels once again.

I wonder if he'll start against Everton in the cup along with Praet or if well go pretty much unchanged with Wembley only a couple of games away. Frightening we have both of those players as back up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TK95 said:

Looking at that shortlist, how did none of our young guns make it :thumbdown:

IMG_20191128_131555.jpg

I think it's 21 and under. Most of ours are too old. Maddison, Ndidi, Chillwell, Tielemans are all 22 I think. Barnes, Choudhury and Soyoncu 23.

• Like 3