Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Claudio Ranieri's English was and remains crap, but he had a big enough personality to get by with really basic command of the language and a whole lot of expressiveness. 

It's not just vocab lists and verb conjugations. 

(Fellow linguist here :thumbup:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hammo said:

What?! These managers get paid ridiculous amounts of money. Part of the job spec is the ability to communicate effectively with players and the media in the country where they are working. If they want a top job in the Premier League they should spend some of their small fortunes on taking English lessons - and furthermore improving their English continuously while they are here - so that they can speak sufficiently well to AVOID people taking the piss out of them.

I don’t buy into your theory one little bit.

And just for the record, yeah, I have a degree in French and German and have worked in those countries. If I couldn’t make myself properly understood, it embarrassed me and I vowed to improve my vocabulary and fluency. It’s not that difficult if you set your mind to it and make a real effort. Puel, Emery and the like get no sympathy from me.

My theory isn't just applied to managers and players, I mean in general. I'd not sit and criticise someone's English when I can't speak their language.

Agree it's not difficult to make effort but you can know a language without being able to knock out phrases. Good for you that you've got a degree in French/German, a second language should be taught more in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

Claudio Ranieri's English was and remains crap, but he had a big enough personality to get by with really basic command of the language and a whole lot of expressiveness. 

It's not just vocab lists and verb conjugations. 

(Fellow linguist here :thumbup:

I think ‘crap’ is a bit harsh but I know where you’re coming from.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

My theory isn't just applied to managers and players, I mean in general. I'd not sit and criticise someone's English when I can't speak their language.

Agree it's not difficult to make effort but you can know a language without being able to knock out phrases. Good for you that you've got a degree in French/German, a second language should be taught more in my opinion.

I’m useless at DIY, absolutely useless, but if I paid a plumber a handsome fee to knock up a new bathroom for me and the taps didn’t work or the water from the shower came out as a dribble, I’d feel within my rights to criticise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 49er said:

What changes has Southgate implemented , playing against the minnows of European football?

You just prove my point...fans just taking cheap digs at Englands expence......

we Don t chose our opponents.  Supporters Don t chose,the Media Hype or  opinions.

Plus we forget,we are also Not the 'dogs bollocks', the Untitled-entitled ones!! we belong where we are...!! It seems some Think we are the only Team that have reached The pinnacle and are Entitled  to be recognized as a consistent World class team......vor every qualified tournament....

You automatically expect more..!!!   Fans cried  that England should change the old guard,bring in a different approach,try the youngsters....

Southgate has  done that...then fans-forums Show how Bias they are...because the England manager doesn't cap their own chosen darlings....

Me I just sit back and Enjoy the football,like many, my Ambitions are to see England to go 'that Step further'.   If we do ...great,when we dont,I cant see the point

in going on obscene campaigns,spitting out damnation,Fire  and brimstone on all involved....

Our top players Don t have the luxury,of Short seasons,an association that wont change game/fixture plans to help,either English PL teams or the International team....Plus we have many fans still puking out the same Bias rhetoric,as we did in the 50s and 60s....Not accepting Johnny Foreigner,just happens to be a tad

better than us.....we dont win or earn something by just turning up....Some cant Stop tightening their oriface just out of frustration, it seems a Natural inherrited habit....

I have spent 60 years ,waiting vor the Next title....my  heroes,selected or not selected,Falling short,But Finding out very early,we just  aint the best,and there isnt

Such a thing as an English-gentleman...Just a group of Spoilt little brats that Cry every time, something  doesn't go their way....

We just have to accept,that we have died and this is what happens,when we Chose the wrong path.....God knows what spurs fans have done..!!!:facepalm:

5 hours ago, KingsX said:

The Non-Footballing World ....

ChineseReds.JPG.94d8d09b30ad523a543b70cf80e8ae6e.JPG    

The Footballing World ....

laughs.gif.cfcc127e38caf9ecc6e834054f67216f.gif

I like the people laughing like in old days

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Marca won't leave Bale alone just because he likes golf for **** sakes, I agree that bashing someone for their English when they speak about ten languages and you speak one is a bit shit but let's not pretend the Spanish media are angels. 

I agree. But Soain was just an example. Do the Germans or Italians also mock foreigners trying to speak their language I wonder.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Koke said:

I agree. But Soain was just an example. Do the Germans or Italians also mock foreigners trying to speak their language I wonder.

Yes. The germans took the piss out of me routinely. Deservedly so. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

9 hours ago, Hammo said:

What?! These managers get paid ridiculous amounts of money. Part of the job spec is the ability to communicate effectively with players and the media in the country where they are working. If they want a top job in the Premier League they should spend some of their small fortunes on taking English lessons - and furthermore improving their English continuously while they are here - so that they can speak sufficiently well to AVOID people taking the piss out of them.

I don’t buy into your theory one little bit.

And just for the record, yeah, I have a degree in French and German and have worked in those countries. If I couldn’t make myself properly understood, it embarrassed me and I vowed to improve my vocabulary and fluency. It’s not that difficult if you set your mind to it and make a real effort. Puel, Emery and the like get no sympathy from me.

So you are saying that every single person has the same aptitude for learning new languages?

3 hours ago, Koke said:

On Maguire, I dont know why people here like to stick the foot in. He was a good player for us for the most part. Yes he isn't worth £80m. But I enjoyed his time at City  

He left. Fans in ‘assuming every player at their club is a fan’ shocker! 

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

So you are saying that every single person has the same aptitude for learning new languages?

Their level of English is acceptable. You can understand it. I don't see the point in getting arsey that it isn't perfect.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Their level of English is acceptable. You can understand it. I don't see the point in getting arsey that it isn't perfect.

Wondered if you misquoted me? I was not commenting either way, just passing an opinion on @Hammo's post that every manager should be able to speak very well due to finances involved :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Wondered if you misquoted me? I was not commenting either way, just passing an opinion on @Hammo's post that every manager should be able to speak very well due to finances involved :dunno:

Posting about the topic less replying to you tbh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Koke said:

On Maguire, I dont know why people here like to stick the foot in. He was a good player for us for the most part. Yes he isn't worth £80m. But I enjoyed his time at City  

Think people got more pissed off when he left and then suddenly turned into some Man Utd fan as if it was his dream move. 

I wasn't bothered when we played at Old Trafford - I didn't boo him or clap him - but he really annoyed me when he started moaning at the ref about everything, moaning at the linesman for everything and constantly appealed for Vardy being offside.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Koke said:

He was respectful as well and didn't publically moan about it but just like Drinkwater I was really happy to see him go at that price. I'm a great believer in selling players who I believe are replaceable and peaked in value which I was sure Drinkwater and Maguire both fitted into that category.

I never wanted Mahrez to go but we had little choice in the end, it's extremely difficult for a club like ours to replace a Mahrez.

The one that really annoyed me was Kante leaving as I thought we could challenge the top clubs if we kept our star players. I thought we had five exceptional players that season and the other six did an outstanding job but we could replace them with much better players. I thought if we signed about three big upgrades alongside Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Kante, Mahrez and Vardy we could be a great side.All things considered though we had no choice but to sell Kante due to his release clause and we did well getting another £10m out of Chelsea when he was available to some other clubs for £20m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He was respectful as well and didn't publically moan about it but just like Drinkwater I was really happy to see him go at that price. I'm a great believer in selling players who I believe are replaceable and peaked in value which I was sure Drinkwater and Maguire both fitted into that category.

I never wanted Mahrez to go but we had little choice in the end, it's extremely difficult for a club like ours to replace a Mahrez.

The one that really annoyed me was Kante leaving as I thought we could challenge the top clubs if we kept our star players. I thought we had five exceptional players that season and the other six did an outstanding job but we could replace them with much better players. I thought if we signed about three big upgrades alongside Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Kante, Mahrez and Vardy we could be a great side.All things considered though we had no choice but to sell Kante due to his release clause and we did well getting another £10m out of Chelsea when he was available to some other clubs for £20m.

Kante was only ever ours on a years “loan” really - he tried to join Marseille before we signed him IIRC but we trumped their bid and he was never staying for the long haul 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Koke said:

This. 

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Because Schadenfreude, I think. 

This too. 

:dunno: