Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Lee Congerton appointed Head of Recruitment

Was last seasons signings really that good ?? The club paid over £35m for two central defenders of whom only one has featured in low profile matches.

Was Danny Ward really worth £12m ?? 

Ghezzal is the one that seems to get the most attention (probably because he's not Mahrez). You just hope that you get more good 'uns than bad 'uns and it'll be the same with Congerton.

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The one big critique from what I've read about Rodgers throughout his career is recruitment so I can't have blind faith in him on this one, as good as he's been so far, and as good a coach as he seems.

This just seems a totally unnecessary risk for us to take. Is this seriously the best we can do?

I can't just ignore these criticisms. There are too many to ignore.

Criticisms from people who don’t have a scooby though. If he hands in a list of 10 players to Rodgers and 9 of them go on to be great, but the Celtic board only manage to get the dud over the line, fans only see the dud and not all the other work. As I said, Celtic failed to get Schar and Mcginn for him and not they’d cost a damn site more to sign than they did.

Arnesen and Rodgers see the full picture and have seen fit to take him with them because of the players he’s spotted.

It’s almost impossible to have an educated opinion on positions like this unless you are party to the finer detail which we never will be.

There is also a very big difference in what roles people have, their remit and how much of a success they can be. Walsh looks brilliant at spotting the odd diamond, but Everton absolutely hate him as he was over promoted. At Sunderland they made some ridiculous errors that cost them a lot of money, we are talking contract errors that cost them millions. That clouds some of their opinion, but he wouldn’t even be involved in that here, Rudkin is DOF. Plus Sunderland were already rotten to the core well before he turned up.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I keep reading this as if it exonerates him from the muck that was signed under his tenures. Those ones were still found by him, just because there were supposedly other players his clubs couldn't get is fairly irrelevant, smacks of burying the head in the sand.

Ric, he walks into a club and works with previous targets for the first 6-12 months and if the scouts on the front line are crap he’s going to have crap passed up the chain for him. He’s not watching and analysing every single player himself. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll absolutely wait and see, not a lot else we can do. It's funny though because poor signings we make in the past it seems quite straight forward who gets thr blame, yet the same people are now saying " well we don't know what Lee's circumstances or remit was at other clubs ". Is that going to be the same here then?

Hopefully it all works out but it seems a very needless risk, we are an ambitious club and yet certain appointments or positions are filled with sub standard staff, its bizarre.

Because sometimes it’s fairly sodding obvious who brought the player in or someone has made a comment. Rachid, clearly a Puel pick because of their history, nobody blamed Mascia for that did they?

It’s the usual end of world ridiculous over reactions on here that are attempting to be tempered.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SO1 said:

I'm not. It's on Brendan and all I see is him creating successful teams where ever he goes. That's why I'm here and why I continue to watch.

I get your point to an extent, because Brendan was hugely successful at Celtic in spite of having Congerton around, so who is to say that it won’t be the same at Leicester.

All that said there must be a degree of concern bringing this guy in just looking at his track record, that’s undeniable.

Swan got ahead of himself, so reposting 

As many above said  this man spent three years as sporting director at Sunderland , the same Sunderland that signed more donkeys than Blackpool beach , the same Sunderland that collapsed as a football club. I know he can’t be held accountable for all that but it has to be a concern , this worries me a little 

But in Brendan we trust .........

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Criticisms from people who don’t have a scooby though. If he hands in a list of 10 players to Rodgers and 9 of them go on to be great, but the Celtic board only manage to get the dud over the line, fans only see the dud and not all the other work. As I said, Celtic failed to get Schar and Mcginn for him and not they’d cost a damn site more to sign than they did.

Arnesen and Rodgers see the full picture and have seen fit to take him with them because of the players he’s spotted.

It’s almost impossible to have an educated opinion on positions like this unless you are party to the finer detail which we never will be.

There is also a very big difference in what roles people have, their remit and how much of a success they can be. Walsh looks brilliant at spotting the odd diamond, but Everton absolutely hate him as he was over promoted. At Sunderland they made some ridiculous errors that cost them a lot of money, we are talking contract errors that cost them millions. That clouds some of their opinion, but he wouldn’t even be involved in that here, Rudkin is DOF. Plus Sunderland were already rotten to the core well before he turned up.

Your talking here as if Congerton identified McGinn lol! That of course is the topic for debate here right, his ability to identify players? 

McGinn we had been monitoring for years long before Congerton arrived, his grandad used to be Celtic chairman for one so he was very well known to us.

Schar, we met his release clause after Deportivo were relegated but he wanted to go to the EPL, not much we could do about that.

I don’t know how you can or would try and spin either of the above to allude to the fact that Congerton somehow isn’t an incompetent charlatan. 

21 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Ric, he walks into a club and works with previous targets for the first 6-12 months and if the scouts on the front line are crap he’s going to have crap passed up the chain for him. He’s not watching and analysing every single player himself. 

Not necessarily, he might come in and have already a network of players he's been scouting at Celtic and recommend them up thr chain of command. I'm sure it will be a bit of both, certainly the immediate work will have long been done by Macia and the scouts we have in place. If Celtic have been mugging Lee and Brendan off with refusing to go after some quality talent he found, let's see of they can be brought in here instead. Hopefully that excuse will be nipped in the bid here for them both.

19 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because sometimes it’s fairly sodding obvious who brought the player in or someone has made a comment. Rachid, clearly a Puel pick because of their history, nobody blamed Mascia for that did they?

It’s the usual end of world ridiculous over reactions on here that are attempting to be tempered.

Of course, likewise Ricardo you'd have to credit Puel for. What I mean though is, on the whole when theres a structure in place like we have then the recruitment director seems to be held accountable for the transfers. That's what our fans have long credited/criticized Walsh and Macia with. So I assume that's what Congerton will be measured on here, and what he is being measured at from his previous jobs. 

Let's hope it's a match made it heaven.

I'll wait to see what results his work at the club brings about before judging him here but I'm not filled with inspired confidence by this. When we sign a player that other teams are really pleased to shift due to poor-average reviews or think we've hugely overpaid it always rings alarm bells. This guy has awful reviews from multiple clubs, albeit there underlying issues beyond him as an individual during his tenure. Strap yourselves in I guess!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

We will see, Rogers must rate his work.

Always think its funny how people think signing players is down to one man.

We thought Walsh was amazing the Everton fans did'nt think much too him.

We thought Walsh was amazing cos he was.

Couldn’t care less about Everton 

Edited by NeilLCFC

6 minutes ago, NeilLCFC said:

We thought Walsh was amazing cos he was.

Couldn’t care less about Everton 

That's my point, people care to much about what people have to say else where.

I will wait to see what LC does for LCFC before judging him.

It's obvious that Rudkin didn't look for any other candidates for the job and just gave it to Congerton. Can't believe Rudkin or Top didn't look at the previous Congerton thread when we just hired Brendon, I thought that must have stopped them hiring him, but it seems that's not the case.