Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Lee Congerton appointed Head of Recruitment

5 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Patience, people.

Judgment should be passed on what he does for us, not for some impoverished north of the Border outfit.

The bells of Leicestershire may not exactly be ringing to welcome him but let's give the guy a chance.

I think most people will not judge on Celtic but more on what happened at sland 

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's so Leicester it hurts. Get together the most exciting young team I can remember with probably the most exciting coach. Go and back it up with a head of recruitment slated by pretty much everyone he's worked for.

The mind honestly boggles at times. It's beyond me.

Actually the people he’s worked for (Rodgers and Arnsen) saw fit to sing his praises and take him with them to their next clubs.

It’s the fans who have absolutely no idea of his role, what he’s done, who he has or hasn’t scouted, who the boards allowed or wouldn’t allow him to sign etc that are critical.

Whose opinion do you put more faith in?

Folks saying “he can’t do worse than Musa/Slimani/Iheanacho” can get in the bin.  We cannot afford to merely “not do worse”.

This appointment comes at a moment the club is well poised to become the best of the rest … or fall back.  The upcoming window is supposed to be our biggest spend, one we’ll not be able to repeat unless it goes very well indeed.  It is likely to define the future of the club.

This reads like a transfer of power from Rudkin to Rodgers.  Whatever you think of them as individuals, I find that problematic because (a) it breaks the club’s (siloed, DoF) structure, and (b) Rodgers is likely to be here for two or three years max.

• Like 4

Look, nobody can be impressed by his previous work but Congerton nd Rodgers will be backed here and there's every chance it'll work out. Our targets for this summer will be in a different league ability-wise compared to what bargain basement signings Congerton had to make at Sunderland, Hamburg and Celtic. Look at those clubs to consider what he's had to work with anyway.

Celtic win everything domestically, even if they signed a striker with one leg. Sunderland ended up in League One after being badly ran from top to bottom (had Di Canio in charge for Christ's sake) so the club stinks anyway and Hamburg were fighting relegation for years until they finally went down last year.

We won't be chasing players like Marvin Commper or 99% of the players Celtic and Sunderland signed. We'll have a list of targets we already want to sign this summer, and given the fact that not just one man makes the signings solely based on his own opinion let's all calm down and give him a chance.

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Folks saying “he can’t do worse than Musa/Slimani/Iheanacho” can get in the bin.  We cannot afford to merely “not do worse”.

This appointment comes at a moment the club is well poised to become the best of the rest … or fall back.  The upcoming window is supposed to be our biggest spend, one we’ll not be able to repeat unless it goes very well indeed.  It is likely to define the future of the club.

This reads like a transfer of power from Rudkin to Rodgers.  Whatever you think of them as individuals, I find that problematic because (a) it breaks the club’s (siloed, DoF) structure, and (b) Rodgers is likely to be here for two or three years max.

Who do you think installed Rodgers and Congerton? Rudkin will still be in control.

• Like 2

I'm hardly inspired by the appointment but I'm also willing to give him a chance. 

He resigned from Sunderland because of how terribly the club was being run and the lack of funds available, and it's well documented how stubborn the board at Celtic were over transfer dealings. 

He wanted to sign Benkovic at Celtic but was told he was too expensive, so they had to work on a loan deal instead. The quotes from Rodgers below are probably worth a read too. There's certainly something in the argument that operating at a club like Leicester (decent funds, great owner, Premier League football) will be a much easier task than at some of his previous clubs.

"He does a great job with the resources that he works with. He obviously has to scour the market and, at this moment in time, in terms of recruitment, it’s probably never been more difficult.

“A lot of the time, he’ll find players we just can’t bring in. 

"His job is to find the players and, in his time here, he’s done that. Now whether we get them here or not is a different story. But, listen, the regular supporter wouldn’t know the operation.

“And when one or two get emotional in the media and start to point fingers, that can snowball. But he’s very talented. He hasn’t worked in the game for this period of time without having that talent. And he loves it.

"He enjoys working here and he’ll continue to work tirelessly with his staff. The players he identifies are exactly what we need as a team.”

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Disappointed by the disappointment of the meltdown on here. If you don’t like a meltdown then you are in the wrong place.

Its what makes this place.

FT: the place for melts

7 minutes ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

I'm hardly inspired by the appointment but I'm also willing to give him a chance. 

He resigned from Sunderland because of how terribly the club was being run and the lack of funds available, and it's well documented how stubborn the board at Celtic were over transfer dealings. 

He wanted to sign Benkovic at Celtic but was told he was too expensive, so they had to work on a loan deal instead. The quotes from Rodgers below are probably worth a read too. There's certainly something in the argument that operating at a club like Leicester (decent funds, great owner, Premier League football) will be a much easier task than at some of his previous clubs.

"He does a great job with the resources that he works with. He obviously has to scour the market and, at this moment in time, in terms of recruitment, it’s probably never been more difficult.

“A lot of the time, he’ll find players we just can’t bring in. 

"His job is to find the players and, in his time here, he’s done that. Now whether we get them here or not is a different story. But, listen, the regular supporter wouldn’t know the operation.

“And when one or two get emotional in the media and start to point fingers, that can snowball. But he’s very talented. He hasn’t worked in the game for this period of time without having that talent. And he loves it.

"He enjoys working here and he’ll continue to work tirelessly with his staff. The players he identifies are exactly what we need as a team.”

Full article that people should probably read... https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/in-full/brendan-rodgers-defends-celtic-s-head-of-recruitment-1-4862839

• Like 2

I am gutted - I was still pondering of which font to use for my CV; I had also decide to hire based on phrenology only.

seriously - my real worry it that we need to build a stable off field infrastructure - to provide continuity as manager come and go....  I would have been in it for the long haul!

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Who do you think installed Rodgers and Congerton? Rudkin will still be in control.

Obviously speculation.  But I would be shocked if the board didn't have to approve this appointment.

Someone very closely tied to the manager comes in, in a very senior job outside the manager's lane.  He is 100% indebted to the manager for this job.  Looks more like two power bases to me.

We can only hope Congerton is qualified to make the most of the recruitment and analysis resources now at his command.

35 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Actually the people he’s worked for (Rodgers and Arnsen) saw fit to sing his praises and take him with them to their next clubs.

It’s the fans who have absolutely no idea of his role, what he’s done, who he has or hasn’t scouted, who the boards allowed or wouldn’t allow him to sign etc that are critical.

Whose opinion do you put more faith in?

The one big critique from what I've read about Rodgers throughout his career is recruitment so I can't have blind faith in him on this one, as good as he's been so far, and as good a coach as he seems.

This just seems a totally unnecessary risk for us to take. Is this seriously the best we can do?

I can't just ignore these criticisms. There are too many to ignore.

• Like 2

What you lot on about ?? 

Says on LCFC.COM ...

"The vastly-experienced 45-year-old joins the Foxes following a highly-successful two-year spell with Scottish champions Celtic....'

'Congerton’s impressive background has seen him fulfil key roles for Hamburg, Sunderland and Chelsea – during which time he was credited with identification of a host of exciting talent.'

:whistle:

• Haha 2

This guy wasn’t responsible for a single decent signing at Celtic and I have that on very good authority from someone who works as part of the football operation at the club.

I’m talking with the benefit of hindsight here as I was very much in the “In Brendan we trust” brigade when he was appointed at Celtic.

He’s been disasterous at his job everywhere he’s been and that’s open knowledge in the public domain so I’m surprised a club as well run and forward thinking as Leicester have brought him in, it must be a case of Rodgers wanting his own way. He (Rodgers) was asked about him at our most recent AGM such was the disdain for Congerton and his only justification was that he was good at his job as he identified that Courinho and Neymar were going to be top players when he seen them in Brazil at 14. My Nan could have worked out Neymar and Coutinho were going to the top at 14 I imagine.

A couple of the clubs he’s been at like Sunderland and Hamburg have turned into absolute basket cases, a large part of the reason probably due to the money he’s squandered with no return on or off the pitch.

Im ecstatic he’s away from my club, as are fans of every club he’s been at which should tell it’s own story. If I was Leicester fan however I’d be extremely concerned.

Guest SO1
4 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

This guy wasn’t responsible for a single decent signing at Celtic and I have that on very good authority from someone who works as part of the football operation at the club.

I’m talking with the benefit of hindsight here as I was very much in the “In Brendan we trust” brigade when he was appointed at Celtic.

He’s been disasterous at his job everywhere he’s been and that’s open knowledge in the public domain so I’m surprised a club as well run and forward thinking as Leicester have brought him in, it must be a case of Rodgers wanting his own way. He (Rodgers) was asked about him at our most recent AGM such was the disdain for Congerton and his only justification was that he was good at his job as he identified that Courinho and Neymar were going to be top players when he seen them in Brazil at 14. My Nan could have worked out Neymar and Coutinho were going to the top at 14 I imagine.

A couple of the clubs he’s been at like Sunderland and Hamburg have turned into absolute basket cases, a large part of the reason probably due to the money he’s squandered with no return on or off the pitch.

Im ecstatic he’s away from my club, as are fans of every club he’s been at which should tell it’s own story. If I was Leicester fan however I’d be extremely concerned.

I'm not. It's on Brendan and all I see is him creating successful teams where ever he goes. That's why I'm here and why I continue to watch.

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I'm not. It's on Brendan and all I see is him creating successful teams where ever he goes. That's why I'm here and why I continue to watch.

I get your point to an extent, because Brendan was hugely successful at Celtic in spite of having Congerton around, so who is to say that it won’t be the same at Leicester.

All that said there must be a degree of concern bringing this guy in just looking at his track record, that’s undeniable.

18 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

A Sunderland mate of mine has just sent me a message on Twitter pissing himself at the news. We can't say we weren't warned, if this is the baggage that has to come with Rodgers then I hope it isn't what hinders our success. I can't see why Rodgers would risk his reputation and a shot of a top 4 club by making a pigs ear of it with us and any chance of that going. Very odd though.

• Like 1

His Sunderland form of non loanees and frees will be a good guide to the car crash we've just signed, terrible signing in my opinion (which seems to differ to the mods opinions as every time I make an observation, comment regarding anything that's not kissing the sunbeams out of Rodgers ar$e get's deleted. My opinion is (I'm allowed an opinion right?)  that he will destroy what's been built up so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1